UKC

Harry Moor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 10 Apr 2021

Whilst hiking around Kinder, I came upon Harry Moor, below and SW of Kinderlow End.

I am fascinated by the name, but Google has no information about the area, and I'm also intrigued by the reference to a 'Valve Chamber' on the OS map, -a cursory search of the area found nothing. Any information out there?

In reply to Fredt:

> Whilst hiking around Kinder, I came upon Harry Moor, below and SW of Kinderlow End.

> I am fascinated by the name, but Google has no information about the area, and I'm also intrigued by the reference to a 'Valve Chamber' on the OS map, -a cursory search of the area found nothing. Any information out there?

There's also a Harry Hut (OS trig point) further north towards Glossop, just to add to the mystery.

Maggot 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Valve chamber has to be something to do with the water board/supply.

nigel n 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Maggot:

For years farms on the hillside below had no access to a mains water supply - a good number in the south Pennines still dont .  The valve mechanism would relate to a private supply rather than anything belonging to United Utilities.  Once properties are connected to the mains it would become redundant although many private supplies are still used to provide water for troughs etc

rsc 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Interesting!

I’d never noticed the name Harry Moor, despite walking that way many times, but I’ve long wondered about the name Harry Hut. There is a shooting cabin 400m NE of the top, but that’s a “cabin” and named as such on the 1879 map. I suspect the hill name predates the cabin, perhaps by a very long time, (hill names are often very old) but haven’t found any further evidence.
So I’m only speculating... could “Harry” refer to a place with hares? (I know the current  population was introduced in the C19, but the hill name could remember the original, native population). Even more of a stretch- “hut” is unique as a hill name, AFAIK. Could it be Norman French “haut” for “high ground”?

In reply to Fredt:

I think the Harry part is Old English "hearg" - a sacred altar/grove/temple.

There's another Harry Moor near Selby whose earliest recorded name was Harrow Moor and another Harry place name is first recorded as Harrow. These are recorded in the 1700's. There are a few other Harrow placenames which are first recorded as Hearg from very early dates.

https://epns.nottingham.ac.uk/search/p/(placeName%3A*harry*)

It could have been named for the bowl barrow on Kinderlow End where people in prehistory would have worshipped and these sacred places in the landscape retained their mystery for people well into medieval times. In the early Anglo Saxon period they were reusing barrows in the landscape for secondary burials.

Other translations are possible though.

Mouflon 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Fredt:

This was on the Kinder Log, so it's possible the Valve Chamber was something to do with the water tanks.
(The Log doesn't give any info on why Harry Hut is so called and also why Harry Moor and Harry Hut are far apart).

GEE, JOHN THOMAS (1844-1921)
A resident of the Ashes Farm and a well respected character of Hayfield. He was a member and organiser of many of Hayfield's committees and fetes etc. However, it is the Harry Moor water storage tanks that lie beneath the moor that he is remembered for most. He had the forethought to tap and collect this pure water which continu­ously flows down underground from the Scout. There is close to 500,000 gallons of water in these tanks under Harry Moor, which supply all the districts around Hayfield.

OP Fredt 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Mouflon:

Fascinating stuff.

What is the Kinder log? Is it available online?

Mouflon 14 Apr 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Kinder Log as a small paperback book (160 pages) written by Tony Nelthorpe of Stockport in 1987 and published by Cicerone.

ISBN 0902363-91-3.

It describes loads of spots on and around Kinder, including a few crash-sites and has a few walks.

I got a copy a long time ago and they were difficult to get hold of at the time, but well worth getting if you can find one somewhere.

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...