UKC

Highland Midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slioch 21 May 2013
Have they started yet?

Let us know your experience if you've been in the highlands over the last few days - no guesswork please.
Removed User 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

Out in the Central Belt for sure.
 deepsoup 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
> - no guesswork please.

I've nothing to offer from first hand experience, but this isn't guesswork:
http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk
 newhey 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
Nothing in Glen Coe/ Etive on Saturday
CraigB 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

None at Polldubh Saturday or Sunday.
dunirie 21 May 2013
In reply to newhey: nowt on the great glen way, sat and sun. still a bit early tho
Douglas Griffin 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

Possibly one or two in Sutherland last week, after dusk. Nothing to worry about however.

I did find a tick crawling up my arm however.
 ring ouzel 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: Nothing in Lairg last week and nothing in Aberdeenshire (Stonehaven area) today.
 KevinJ 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
Not the Highlands, but bites like the same midge. Not noticed any on Skye or the Uists this week.
 BnB 21 May 2013
In reply to KevinJ:

Can't be long until they come out but temps have been low and winds are easterly this weekend.

A local boatman on Skye once told me the midges can't abide an easterly - impossible to mate in an east wind apparently so they lie low.

I'll have to give that a try, although the missus does like to keep her vest on when the cold wind blows
andymac 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

But they have made an appearance in England.

Ref at the Newcastle v Arsenal match was getting eaten alive on Sunday.

His solution was interesting ;

He changed his yellow shirt for a green shirt.

will have to try that.

Or.....

Don't wear yellow in Scotland
OP Slioch 21 May 2013
In reply to andymac: Is that some really subtle joke that I don't get? Shame about the result.

The midges were out a couple of weeks ago in the swamps of Yorkshire.
 JamesRoddie 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: I have been on Skye for the last 3 weeks, out every day all over the island and haven't seen a single one yet.
 Banned User 77 21 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
> (In reply to andymac) Is that some really subtle joke that I don't get? Shame about the result.
>
> The midges were out a couple of weeks ago in the swamps of Yorkshire.

Strangely true..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2327447/Howard-Webb-swaps...

jonny taylor 22 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
None on Loch Lomond on sunday. I did get swarmed by about three dozen tick larvae - little bastards.
 kbow265 22 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: None in the windless woods walking up to Ben Oss and Ben Dubhcraig.
Tim Chappell 22 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

No midges at all in Ardgour last Friday. I did find a mosquito in my kitchen when I got home, though.
 CurlyStevo 22 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
I got midged (by the biting kind) last night in sussex!
 Jack Frost 22 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

None in Rothiemurcus forest on Monday 20th.
 John Burns 22 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: None in Glen Dessary on Monday. If it stays cold then you might be safe, a few days warm weather and they'll rise like demons.
 kwoods 22 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: Been out every day for 3 weeks and haven't seen one yet. Weather got warm the last few days, and still haven't seen them. Who knows when they'll come. I'm sure when they so it will be with a vengance as ever ¬_¬
 kbow265 25 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: Surprisingly few in Glen Shiel... but then again it was snowing a couple of days ago.
 Dauphin 25 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

A couple about close to Camusary late afternoon on Skye last week. Too cold for anything much on Glen Brittle campsite all week.

D
 Cameron94 25 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: None on Skye at the moment.
 JimGoodman 25 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: Not yet in Lochcarron
 ring ouzel 25 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: Was in Lairg on Friday and there were a few about when the wind dropped.
 Mike Lates 25 May 2013
In reply to andymac:

"But they have made an appearance in England."
"Out in the Central Belt for sure."
"I have been on Skye for the last 3 weeks, out every day all over the island and haven't seen a single one yet."

Repeating the pattern of the past few years- East & south whinging like hell while Skye hasn't been a patch on what it was 20 years ago. Along with jet stream sinking south (where is it now?) I feel my house price rising and luxury beach holidays at Glen Brittle becoming all the rage. All part of the preparation for independance

There, said it now, been whispering under my breath for 5 years. Apologies to all Sgianachs if midgies can read & this induces the return of the super midge.......

isi_o 25 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
None on the Outer Hebrides as yet either. There are a few flying things starting to appear, but none of the biting sort yet. A few ticks though.
 Pummelzacken 25 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: none in Glencoe today and I haven't been bitten by them anywhere around Fort William at all so far this year!!
aultguish 26 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
Well, the wee b@stards just love me and as I'll be on Skye tomorrow for the week, I can assure you, they will surface!!

P.s. Reports from home, none to be found in Invergeldie as yet.
estivoautumnal 26 May 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Not sure what part of Skye you live on but where I live it's only been above 16 degrees once or maybe twice in the last 8 months. Hardly beach weather. Dry though, but still can't see many moving from Sandbanks to 'gustybanks'.

One saving grace is that I only spend half of my time in Skye!
 JohnnyW 26 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

I got savaged by something whilst wearing shorts in Kelso yesterday! Very unusual for there. Have had a few bites on my legs whilst out cycling around the Trossachs, but nothing substantial as yet.
 James Edwards 26 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
I camped loch side in Glen affric last night. It was breezy and chilly but calm this morning. No midge at all. How long this will last I don't know.
Removed User 26 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

I got bitten in Glen Etive yesterday. Only once though.

I expect the hordes aren't far away...
 Gawyllie 26 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: none in sutherland Friday to today as of yet
 Joak 26 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: Camped in Ullapool at the weekend, no midges. Did however have a scary encounter with a spider big enough to prey on small rodents when it dropped down from my rear view mirror as I drove to Dundonnell!!
andymac 26 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

might sound mad ,but I don't actually think their are as many of them about these days.

last 2 summers have been no where near as bad as years gone by.

And with a lot of luck ,the icy blast from the East of a few months back will have freeze dried the little bastards.
andymac 26 May 2013
In reply to Joak:

ach ,that's only one those funnel web whores.

nothing to worry about
Douglas Griffin 26 May 2013
In reply to andymac:

> last 2 summers have been no where near as bad as years gone by.

Och, rubbish. Last year on Harris they were as bad as anything I've known in over 20 years of going to the hills.
andymac 26 May 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

no ,seriously.

I earn my crust working mostly outdoors on Mull ,and they are nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

Joak 26 May 2013
In reply to andymac:

>> And with a lot of luck ,the icy blast from the East of a few months back will have freeze dried the little bastards.

I doubt very much a nuclear blast would have any impact on the breeding and feeding cycles of the little bar stewards.
 Harry Ellis 26 May 2013
In reply to andymac: that is tempting fate!
They were as bad in the lakes last year as a good year in Scotland, i.e pretty bad!

I guess how bad they seem to one person depends on how lucky you are with wind sun and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I got caught out on climbs last year where I was getting eaten alive!

Am off for a wee cycle camp round moidart this week so fingers crossed
 CurlyStevo 27 May 2013
In reply to Joak:
> (In reply to andymac)
>
>
> >> And with a lot of luck ,the icy blast from the East of a few months back will have freeze dried the little bastards.
>
> I doubt very much a nuclear blast would have any impact on the breeding and feeding cycles of the little bar stewards.

Its been drier than average for nearly two years on the west coast of scotland (especially nw), this does impact midge numbers. I remember the dry summer around 7 years ago when the midgies didnt really get going even on skye! That event also effected the numbers for a yr or two after until they recovered from it.
 Bruce Hooker 27 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

The best thing to do would be to wait a little bit because when Scotland is independent they won't bite anymore apparently - they work for Westminster it seems.
 kinley2 27 May 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

I think they're freelance.

None out in Glen Feshie this weekend.
 Jamie B 27 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

Maybe the prolonged cold spell has killed them all. Forever.

*A man can dream*
 Joak 27 May 2013
In reply to AlH:

HaHa, aye over the last couple of summers my midge net has thankfully remained largely under wraps, however on a cloudy windless muggy day you won't really notice if their numbers have been decimated from the zillions down to the mere millions, the misery inflicted by the minority will be pretty much the same.
 Richard Baynes 27 May 2013
In reply to Joak: At Glenrbittle on Friday morning there was no sign until briefly, sitting in the lee of a tent, the wind dropped and there was suddenly a cloud of them, and I could feel them on my skin. Curiously they didn't bite: maybe I was quick enough moving my chair back into the breeze.
I predict this to be the calm before a terrifying storm of biblical proportions when children will be stripped to the bone by clouds of midges the size of toy helicopters. Thge Highlands will have to be evacuated and left to the plague ...
 Lucy Wallace 27 May 2013
In reply to Richard Baynes:
You prob know its only the female that bites. I understand that she is able to lay her first batch of eggs without feeding, but to lay a second batch she needs a blood meal- which is why when they first come out they don't bite.

Only a few here on Arran at the moment, but I've been got a coupe of times already.

I'd say last 2 summers have not been as bad as previous years, but on a still cloudy day, they were still pretty bad.
 Andy Nisbet 27 May 2013

There were midge sized flies around the other day, lots of them, but not actually midges.
 Joak 27 May 2013
there was suddenly a cloud of them, and I could feel them on my skin. Curiously they didn't bite

They must have been the male of the species.

> I predict this to be the calm before a terrifying storm of biblical proportions when children will be stripped to the bone by clouds of midges the size of toy helicopters. Thge Highlands will have to be evacuated and
left to the plague ...

Mother nature has a habit of balancing things out. Hopefully the big scarey spider I encountered has evovled into a midge munching monster.
 Sherlock 27 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
None in Ullapool so far.
None in Torridon during the day on Sat.
In reply to Slioch: Spent last week around Tongue and saw none, but the relentless gales and ridiculous cold may have had something to do with it. Same in Durness at the weekend, and on Cranstackie/Spionnaidh - but again a fair breeze was blowing. Not a trace on Stac Pollaidh yesterday, even down at the car park in no wind.
 Clarkey77 27 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

Just spent a fortnight in and around Fort Williams and only saw them for one day; still too cold and windy I think.
 Nic DW 27 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:

Not seen any yet this year- none in skye last weekend and none in coigach/assynt this weekend. Think the late winter has slowed them down- You might be in luck!
 Fat Bumbly2 27 May 2013
In reply to Nic DW: Camping upstream of Linn of Dee at the weekend. Not one.
There will be a reckoning!
 Simon Caldwell 28 May 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
We were in Knoydart a week ago, and even on the one warm windless day there was no sign of any midges.

Got covered in ticks though
 Mike Conlon 28 May 2013
In reply to Slioch: Garbh Choire over weekend, didn't see a one !
 cathyjc 28 May 2013
In reply to Slioch:
Migdes biting in Clydesdale 25/26 May - the earliest I can remember.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...