UKC

Hill Walking In The Dark - Should I Do It?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alice_1234 24 Oct 2018

I am wanting to do a very short mountain walk (30-40 mins) that takes me to the summit to watch the sunrise, however this will mean walking in the dark for most of it. 

I would be doing it alone, and I am also a woman. I am very active (done this walk a few times), rock climb also. My fitness isn't in question, I am just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of it's safe to do so. 

Starting at the car park, about a 1/3 of the walk is passing woodland (on one side of the path) and then the rest is clear, seeing straight to the summit.

Thanks in advance!

Dell 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Yes you should. Usual rules apply, tell someone where you're going, take the right gear, flask and food etc.  

You could also go up while it's still light, and bivvy on the top. 

In any case take plenty of warm clothes, (blanket/sleeping bag?) and something to sit on. 

Ridge 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Of course you should do it!

As per the post above, make sure you keep warm and dry.

Make sure you have a decent torch and the batteries are fully charged. I run with a headtorch but carry a smaller hand held torch as a back up. Another thing to consider is how familiar you are with the route. It's very easy in the dark, (more so if it's also foggy), to misjudge how far you've walked and start to make what you see try and fit where you think you are. If you've done it a few times you should be fine.

Above all enjoy it!

Removed User 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

With the caveat that I don’t know the location you speak of from a safety perspective I would say absolutely. Night time walking is a joy. 

tjdodd 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Definitely do it.  Walking in the dark gives a different experience to the senses that is really enjoyable.  Follow the advice above.  Don't be surprised if you do meet people though (it can be surprising how many others are out as well) but I don't see it as any more dangerous that during daylight.

leon 1 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234: I agree with the others you should do it, but also consider taking a loud whistle with you and having it handy if only to help re assure yourself a little.

Post edited at 08:03
 Lizziecc 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Definitely do it. My advice to add to the good stuff above (sorry if its obvious) is take a map and compass and make sure you know how to use it. Things can look very different in the dark, even if you know a route well and distances can feel different too. I love walking in the dark and you can see some lovely wildlife too.

yorkshire_lad2 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Do it.  As well as all the other posters on this thread, don't be surprised if the walk feels very different in the dark (which is the fun part).  A walk that you know well in daylight is very different in the dark when you may not have all the visual clues for navigation that you have in daylight.

wintertree 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Lots of great advice.

A full moon on a clear night is enough to walk by, especially on open ground. It’s also much nicer walking under the moon than in the spot of a torch.

Full moon tonight...  

In reply to Alice_1234:

Depending on your confidence with navigation I'd say pick a nice moonlit night and do it! 

Now's probably a good time of year to bring out this old article, Ten Top Tips for Walking at Night:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/skills/ten_top_tips_for_walking_at_n...

Rigid Raider 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Definitely do it; we've been mountain biking and road cycling at night for years and there's a special kind of joy to be had from being the only one on a mountain, in the dark. Carry a good LED torch and a head torch as backup plus the usual warm clothing etc. and remember, when you shine that torch and see eyes reflecting light, yellow eyes are prey animals and red eyes are predators!

marsbar 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Go for it.  Take a torch obviously, but last night the moon was so bright it was  not necessary.  

Let your eyes get used to seeing at night and you may find your night vision is surprisingly good.  I don't use a torch if I can help it because it interferes with night vision.  

What it the path like?  Be a bit carefully if it's slippy underfoot and you'll have a great time.

Moley 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

I'm getting from the tone of your post that it isn't the actual walk that concerns you, but rather the safety issue of being a lone woman out in a remote area at night? I apologize if I am jumping to conclusions here.

Not knowing the area or walk I could never comment on that, perhaps take a single friend (another woman?) with you a couple of times to build confidence after dark.

But absolutely 100% walking at night under a clear sky and moon is wonderful, don't miss out on this experience.

Welsh Kate 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Walking at night is wonderful, and as a solo woman I'll happily do it.

Just remember that sounds tend to seem magnified at night, especially if you've stopped walking, so that rustle isn't a dinosaur about to devour you, it's probably just a vole you've disturbed :-D

Post edited at 09:56
 d_b 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

That's just what a dinosaur would want you to think.

tjdodd 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Lizziecc:

I would reiterate the bit about distances.  It can be a bit disorientating in the dark.  You start thinking about landmarks that you think you should have passed and since you cannot see into the distance you are never quite sure where you are compared to in the daylight (like in thick fog).  The trick is to be confident in your knowledge of the route so do something you have done (many times) before which I think is the case here from what you say.  Then relax and enjoy the experience.

wercat 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

I love being out on my own at night (when it's not wet and windy) but you might want to coinsider whether it might be an experience worth sharing with a friend?  Depends on you.

I prefer to keep my torch off if at all possible, not only because I like it that way, but also because I find it a bit spooky to be able to see well in a small circle with all that darkness hiding brigands and robbers behind me!  And of course I'd rather see than be seen!

Dingerbell 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Hi yes ive been doing it a while now just plan your route carefully well trodden paths, take the usual walking equipment for cold and wet weather ,good headtorch with spare batterys and throw a 2 man shelter in the bag for that emergency if you get stuck somewhere you shouldntand obviously map and compass and I ve got viewranger for backup fully charged phone .

Use tick off features on route to so you know your on track because your night vision deceives you and you sort of see things that aint there,

ceri 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Get a dog...

I love walking in the dark with my dogs, I kkpw they would tell me if there's anyone around so I feel safe. 

Ridge 25 Oct 2018
In reply to ceri:

My dog would point any assailants in my direction then leg it while they were distracted...

Billhook 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

Alice, just go ahead and do it.  Thousands of people walk or mountaineer in the dark by both force of circumstances such as returning to their car in winter or simply by choice.  There are even runners on these forums who do it for either pleasure or becaause it suits their working life.

If you are not feeling confident, then I'd suggest checking out your route beforehand to make sure they won't be any unforeseen hazards or simply having a check of the route in the dark and see how you get on.  

You could always take a torch!!

girlymonkey 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Alice_1234:

If it's the worry of being female and alone then sunrise is unlikely to be a time that anyone you might worry about is likely to be around. I, personally, worry far less about other people in the hills at night than I do in town, most people on the hills are  there for the same reasons as me, and are not a threat. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...