UKC

Hilly walks close to Hillsborough / Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb the peak 14 Nov 2021

Hi, I recently moved to Hillsborough and am looking for steep walking sections nearby for some training over winter.

The steeper the better please!

Cheers,

Alex

LakesWinter 14 Nov 2021
In reply to climb the peak:

Go along rivelin valley on the path and run up the hill to bell hagg. You can keep going all the way to stanage if you like but that part is not as steep.

SouthernSteve 14 Nov 2021

From the house you could look at the Sheffield Country Walk which goes east and has some height gain in.

I love just going out with the map in your situation and generally mooch about (usually running), you discover the ins and outs of an area that some offcumduns will never see.

How close is close? Drive close, bus close, walk close? (I'm S6).

In reply to SouthernSteve:

> From the house you could look at the Sheffield Country Walk which goes east and has some height gain in.

> I love just going out with the map in your situation and generally mooch about (usually running), you discover the ins and outs of an area that some offcumduns will never see.

I must have driven/run by the cemetery at Rivelin 100's of times but it was only during lockdown that we ventured there as a family walk (bit weird but repetition kicked in elsewhere). Fantastic history and relevant to the OP, if you continue up through the woods it's quite a pull.

SouthernSteve 14 Nov 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Except it goes WEST for the hills! Obviously too long at my desk.

robert-hutton 14 Nov 2021

Various footpaths from Hillsborough up to hallam golf course, Loxley common, down into Langsett valley, up into Grenoside woods back to Hillsborough, some nice off road running / walking 

deepsoup 14 Nov 2021

The Rivelin and Loxley valleys are lovely and all, but for maximum steepness (and to get away from the crowds if the weather is nice) I would suggest exploring the area a little further North. 
West of Worrall, Oughtibridge and Wharncliffe Side, south of Bolsterstone.

Low Bradfield, up via High Bradfield and up onto Onesmoor for example.  Coumes Vale and Onesacre.  Glen Howe Park, up to Spout House Hill and down again to More Hall.

North of Ewden Beck, up the hill above More Hall to pay your respects to the Wantley Dragon and carry on up to Hollin Edge Height maybe.  (The bluebells in Bitholmes Wood can be absolutely spectacular in spring.)

There's tons of stuff to explore over there, mostly just outside the Peak Park (the boundary crosses the dam between Broomhead and More Hall reservoirs).  And of course you have Wharncliffe Woods on the other side of the Don.

I realise that's all very vague.  Were you after something more specific?

cragtyke 14 Nov 2021
 Rob Parsons 14 Nov 2021

Got a bicycle, car, and/or other transport?

Al Rouse trained for K2 by going up and down Win Hill with rocks in his rucksack.

Thanks a lot everyone!

I should have been more specific. I have a car and would be looking to drive less than 20mins or so.

Win Hill looks like a good bet, as does walking up to Kinder from Snakes Pass, and heading up to Derwent Edge from Ladybower.

I'll take a look at the more local walks and report back.

Duncan Beard 15 Nov 2021

Kinder via Black Brook or Fairbrook, take a short crossing to south side or Downfall (quite pleasant these days, much less boggy as sheep are banished), drop down Jacobs Ladder, go back up Crowden Clough, back the way you came. Fairbrook is the easiest in descent.

deepsoup 15 Nov 2021

> Win Hill looks like a good bet

Win Hill via Parkin Clough is some sort of a benchmark for sure.  There are lots of circular routes you could devise to include a lot more ascent too, depending on how many miles you're looking to clock up.  Taking in the summit of Lose Hill is probably the most obvious, but you could also visit the Eastern slopes of the Kinder plateau.  (eg: up Jaggers Clough)

> as does walking up to Kinder from Snakes Pass

Aaargh.  I can just about cope with "Peaks", but this is a step too far!

> heading up to Derwent Edge from Ladybower.

If you're up for the mileage you could link that in to the schlep up Win Hill by dropping down to cross the Ashop (and then the A57) at Haggwater Bridge, Rowlee Bridge or Alport Bridge and going up, over the ridge and down again to Fairholmes.  (The climb up to Alport Castles from Alport Farm is another particularly good one.)

Also it's worth knowing that there's a path that leaves the back of the Heatherdene car park and goes directly uphill across access land to Bamford Edge.  You can link that in to Derwent Edge by crossing Jarvis Clough and taking the track back down to Cutthroat Bridge.

If you're planning routes, it's worth looking at the Open Street Map and even the Strava Heat Map to spot some quite well trodden paths that you wouldn't find from looking at the OS map alone.

> I'll take a look at the more local walks and report back.

Cool, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

tjdodd 15 Nov 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Win Hill is a common hill for training and great views from the top.  I have used it quite a bit in the past for training (with lots of water in my rucksack) and used to see people doing laps up and down it.  I have also used Lose Hill which is a bit more gentle but similar total climb.

PaulJepson 15 Nov 2021

You can follow the Porter Brook from Endcliffe Park out into the Peak as well.

I'm hopefully moving to the area next month, so this thread is great.  

I've taken the train from Sheffield into the Hope Valley a few times for walks around Edale. 

Post edited at 14:45
 Baz P 16 Nov 2021

If it's purely for training then the mountain bike routes in Wharncliffe Woods are the closest to you. There are dozens of trails all very steep leading up from Plank Gate and on a winter evening bikers wont be a problem.

CantClimbTom 17 Nov 2021

If you ever get bored of the many hills of Sheffield (could you?) I hear there's a good bus service from Sheffield to Hathersage to Castleton (and back route 271 ) so if you don't mind a bus journey you can really widen your reach, same to be said for Edale and getting a train

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...