UKC

Ideas for walks with a 4 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stemill 09 Jul 2013
Looking for some good ideas for walks suitable for getting out with the little 'un. Must be

within 2 hours driving distance from St Helens (Lakes/Dales/Peak/Snowdownia etc.)

3-4 hours tops at a leisurely pace with stops for food

no big nasty drops to worry about

reach a well defined "top of the mountain" (poss trig point)

ideally have some short scrambly bits

To the start the ball rolling a couple we have done recently which were perfect are Gummers How and Loughrigg Fell from the White Moss car park.
 john morrissey 09 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill: our 3 year old really loved the walk from milldale down dovedale and back. loads of nature, amazing scenery, climbers, caves, ducks and so much more.
 marsbar 09 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill: A bit more urban, but what about Winter hill, see the TV mast, I seem to remember you can park towards the top and just walk to the top.
 Darron 09 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:

Shutlingsloe in Cheshire? perfect 'mini mountain'
 Strachan 09 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:
Another vote for Shutlingsloe... used to get taken up there as a kid regularly and loved it.
 Ramblin dave 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:
Not sure if it's a bit long, but my favorite as a kid was Harrison's Stickle via Stickle Gill (taking in the scrambly bit on the east bank of the gill just below the tarn) and the East Rake on Pavey Ark (ie the easy way up round the side). You could wander over to Pike of Stickle which has a little scramble onto the summit if you had time, although I think when I was a kid I'd exhausted myself by then so we just went back down.
 Padraig 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:
WTF! LMaO! 0/10!
 Babika 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:
Roseberry Topping - the "Matterhorn of the North" should be within your 2 hours. We took our 3 year old son up as his first summit and he loved it. Especially as you can buy some great postcards to take into school!

And the scrambly bits are the rocks on the summit...)
 Sam Beaton 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:

Wansfell above Ambleside was my kids' first proper hill. Place Fell, Angle Tarn Pikes and Catbells are next on the list for us. The Lakes, especially, is full of perfect miniature mountains that are as steep, rocky and attractive as the big hills with views that are just as good.
 Carolyn 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:

Rannerdale Knotts from the road at Hause Point (Buttermere Lakeshore) - either straight up and down, or along the ridge ans back down the valley behind.

Fleetwith Pike from the top of Honister Pass. Dale Head from the same place (both have bits of old mine buildings to explore (though obviously needs a little care!)
 thedatastream 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:

Anything involving water (perhaps following a stream up to a high lake/tarn), Deep Dark Woods (we all know who lives in there) and possibly sticks is good for a 4 year old. It all adds to the sense of adventure!
OP stemill 10 Jul 2013
Thanks all some good suggestions there. Funnily enough we took him to Dovedale in the pram when he was about 10 days old! Would be good to go back for a 4 years on pic!
OP stemill 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Padraig: lolwut
In reply to stemill:

While you're in Dovedale, a quick spin up Thorpe Cloud gives a definite peak.

But be a bit adventurous - just took the 5yo up Tryfan North Ridge. If you have a short bit of rope, there are no worries about long drops and the like. The only problem would be, after that everything else would seem a bit of an anticlimax.

(The 5yo also recently went all the way up to Annapurna Base Camp, with the Phedi-Dhampus start. Kids are surprisingly tough)
 newhey 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:

Chew Valley is round corner from me and has always worked for my kids.
Round the reservoirs is great. Summits of Aldermans Hill, Pots and Pans, Alphin, West Nab and Black Hill are all easily done.
Alternatively Yorkshire Dales summits like Penyghent, Whernside via easy routes have been done by kids when they were 3.
In reply to stemill: I've used Mynydd Sygun for primary groups. Near Beddgelert above Llyn Dinas. Well defined footpath for most of it.
In reply to higherclimbingwales: It fits most if not all your criteria. email me for details.
OP stemill 11 Jul 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Good call. Did this with just the missus a few years ago. Nice walk back along the river if I remember rightly.
 lordyosch 22 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:

Pen y Ghent?

Not too long a walk, fun mild scrambly bit near the summit
 RockAngel 22 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill: Shutlinslow from Standing stones or up through the forest.
Bosley Cloud, There is a legend about an angry giant who stamped his foot up there and left a footprint. My son still looks for it. There is a nice circular walk I can message you with for it.

'Making Tracks' was written by a Peak Park Ranger and her daughter and has 10 different walks ranging from 2 miles to 6 miles. Each walk has its own booklet and the child usually leads the walk from the booklet. (find it on the OS map anyway).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Tracks-Peak-District-Children/dp/1906571023/...

Derbyshire Walks with Children

Cheshire walks with children
I have this book and taken my son on a few.

RockAngel 22 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill: My son also enjoyed the River Dove walk, all flat but a beautiful river with otters and caves to explore.

And there is another walk in peak district that takes you along some stepping stones but I cant remember where it is!
 Sam_in_Leeds 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Wansfell to Troutbeck and back is amazing on a nice day.

The views towards Windermere are amazing on the way back and there's a nice pub (mortal man) almost exactly half-way round.
 Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2013
In reply to stemill:

Great views over morecombe bay from just above Arnside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...