UKC

ireland's big hills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 allanscott 28 Jan 2014
I've a notion to do some hill walking in Ireland, probably focussing on the 3000ft summits. They seem pretty scattered with a fair distance between the different groups. Any recommendations as to where I should base myself? Coming from Scotland I guess a flight to Shannon airport would be a good idea. I suppose I'd need to hire a car or would public transport be worth the hassle? Thoughts please?
Jim C 28 Jan 2014
In reply to allanscott:
I did a tour right round Ireland last year, starting and finishing at Larne ferry ( took my own car) A very kind gent on this forum offered to meet me when I got down to Killarney, and he brought some gear to take me up Carruntoolhill via Howling ridge. The highlight of my holiday.

http://irishmountaineeringclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&i...

I then did it again with the complete ridge, and went back another day to catch an outlier.
I camped at Cronin's Yard, but you can easily stay in a Hostel in Killarney.
( flying into Shannon and hiring a car for a day or two is a good idea for a short trip. )

Get the 'Reeks' map, and if you have a GPS. ( in case it gets misty, as it was for me) remember and set it to the Irish grid .

The ridge is pretty straightforward, quick by Scottish standards, the drops and distances did not seem too tough.
Post edited at 19:26
 Billhook 28 Jan 2014
In reply to allanscott:

You won't manage with public transport. Its thin on the ground and not at all frequent. Having lived there I would not recommend public transport for accessing the hills at all.

Killarny would be a good bet for the SW 3000 footers though.

Flinticus 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

I'd second that. You'll need a car.
pasbury 30 Jan 2014
In reply to allanscott:

I once tried to do all the 3000 ft hills hitchhiking. With hindsight I wish I'd just gone straight to the north- or south-west and stayed there; Galtymore and Lugnaquilla are pretty dull compared to almost any western Irish hill.
Jim C 30 Jan 2014
In reply to pasbury:
> (In reply to allanscott)
>
> I once tried to do all the 3000 ft hills hitchhiking. With hindsight I wish I'd just gone straight to the north- or south-west and stayed there; Galtymore and Lugnaquilla are pretty dull compared to almost any western Irish hill.

Lugnaquilla was boring, but there is an interesting Hostel at the bottom of Lugnaquilla, chemical toilet, sleep outside in a container, pretty basic, but with a good history. I could have camped cheap, but use it or lose it as they say.
It was pricy, but worthwhile supporting it's upkeep.

Never got round to Galtymore, and Mount Brandon was clagged in to ground level when I past on the trip round, but I got most of them done on my 2 week trip.

Jim C 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to Dave Perry)
>
> I'd second that. You'll need a car.

That said I drove right round , and only came across one hitchhiker on the roads. However, in the hostels it seemed that the young ones without cars asked around for lifts before they left.

Flinticus 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

I walked from a YH outside Killarney, just north east of the range, walked into the Gap of Dunloe, up and across the long ridge including Cnoc na Peiste and The Big Gun, to Carrauntoohill and down the tourist route. A great walk. Hitched back.
OP allanscott 31 Jan 2014
In reply to allanscott:

Thanks guys. Food for thought. Spotted a couple of good guides in Cotswold Edinburgh branch last weekend. Might invest a few quid to nurture the emerging plan.
 Peter Walker 31 Jan 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Lug is indeed a bit of a lump, but you're being hard on Galtymore. The Galtees are a beautiful range of hills, and there's nowhere else in these islands where a 3000ft summit is quite so isolated from other significant uplands.
 goatee 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Hey Jim, hope you are keeping well and yes it was a fine day out. If I could recommend another outing it would be make sure to visit Connemara. The Twelve Bens are wonderful. And yes I too would agree, get a car. Life would be much easier.
Stephen
Jim C 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

> I walked from a YH outside Killarney, just north east of the range, walked into the Gap of Dunloe, up and across the long ridge .

I missed that YH ! Need to look that one up.
I stayed in the Neptune in town, it was busy, and noisy( I'm too old for noisy youngsters )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...