UKC

Just found a tick...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
...trying to latch on to me.

Been out with a DofE group practicing some Navigation. ended up wading through some shoulder high bracken. Eating my dinner earlier I felt something tickling my skin on my hand and there it was, on my hand, looking for somewhere to sink its mandible into my flesh!

Keep checking yourselves folks, they're out there!

I keep feeling it now tickling me even though I flushed it away!
 girlymonkey 29 Jul 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I have pulled at least 10 out of myself so far this summer, and there will definately be more to come.
 RagingSphere 29 Jul 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

So far this summer I've had 0, I've been lucky though.

Climbing at Trowbarrow last week I found 2 on me and another climbing on my crisp packet, none had a chance to get their mandibles into me though.

Mark
interdit 29 Jul 2013

I take it that you stopped concentrating on the obvious one tickling your hand and had a good check of your arms, armpits, legs & groin whilst having your shower this evening?

You do not feel most of them when they are on you. They often head for warm, moist spots to latch on to.
 Flinticus 30 Jul 2013
I found a wasp crawling up my leg at home yesterday, while watching TV!

I batted it away and got that tickling feeling too. Kept checking my leg every so often the next hour.
 stonemaster 30 Jul 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Got one off the leg before any damage was done ( foolishly wearing shorts. Had crawley bitey feeling on skin for hours...>
60survivor 30 Jul 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Not the end of the world if you find one already feasting. The nasty stuff happens when they have gorged and are going for 'seconds' so in so far as I know, not being medically qualified as I live in an area where even on protected animals you still have to pull them off from time to time.For humans they say a cigarette is useful!!?
 CurlyStevo 30 Jul 2013
In reply to 60survivor:
Do not burn them off, squeeze the body, use Vaseline etc all these things increase chance of infection as the end result is the tick pushing its body contents in to you.

If you get a tick off in the first 24 - 36 hours carefully with tweezers (with a fine enough head) or a tick remover you should fine.
 balmybaldwin 30 Jul 2013
In reply to 60survivor:
> (In reply to highclimber) Not the end of the world if you find one already feasting. The nasty stuff happens when they have gorged and are going for 'seconds' so in so far as I know, not being medically qualified as I live in an area where even on protected animals you still have to pull them off from time to time.For humans they say a cigarette is useful!!?

The thing is, stressing the buggers (with a cigarette, or suffocating them with alchohol etc) can cause them to regurgitate which is where the danger lies... best use a proper removing tool
 LastBoyScout 30 Jul 2013

Sounds like you're due another dose of Frontline...

Have never had a tick on me - never even seen a real one until I started having to take them off the cat!

The tick cards you can get are hopeless - I use LifeVenture tick tweezers to slowly pull them off.
 kinley2 30 Jul 2013

O'Tom tick tools are good - there's one in my work bag (I usually find them on mondays).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OTOM-TICK-TWISTER-pack-2/dp/B004M5O9TW/ref=sr_1_1?i...
In reply to higherclimbingwales: You should have seen the one I pulled of the dog last week. the little bugger was hidden under his collar and had obviously been having a right old feast. It was at least the size of a petit pois!
 VPJB 30 Jul 2013
I pulled off the dogs head a few years ago in snowdonia. We didn't have the tool with us so I got one of my wife's hairs and tied a knot then looped it over the tick and right next to the dogs skin then pulled it tight and the tick came off, no lasting issue to the dog.
 Billhook 30 Jul 2013

Working on farms in Ireland I often got twenty toi thirty ticks on me whilst working in long damp meadows.

My dog got them too.

Removal is easy for humans. Using your finger nail, simply scrap them off. This completely removes the tick. Absolutely no need for tweezers which is likely to squirt their stomach contents into your skin - then a risk of lymes or however you spell it.

Harder to remove from dogs because by the time you find them they've been stuffing themselves and are well hooked in. Thats when you need tick removal tools!!
 Daysleeper 31 Jul 2013
In reply to VPJB:
> I pulled off the dogs head a few years ago in snowdonia.

ouch, that's a little extreme...
 lazzaw 31 Jul 2013
In reply to kinley2:

> O'Tom tick tools are good - there's one in my work bag (I usually find them on mondays).

Most vets will sell them too
Crag Pony 31 Jul 2013
This summer one of my mates had one latch onto his nipple, whilst the year before he had one on his knackers. Laughed so hard!
In reply to Daysleeper:

> I pulled off the dogs head a few years ago in snowdonia.

>ouch, that's a little extreme...

I agree, probably quite big tweezers though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...