UKC

Ladybower reservoir road closed at weekend ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IPPurewater 18 Oct 2018

Is the road which runs alongside the Ladybower reservoir still closed at weekends ?

If so, where is it closed from ? Is it open for cycling ?

Thanks

nigel n 18 Oct 2018
In reply to IPPurewater:

The road northwards on the west side of Derwent and Howden reservoirs is closed to vehicles on Saturdays and Sundays.  From the end of this month it is only closed on Sundays.  To complicate matters the last mile of the road to Kings Tree and the track beyond to Slippery Stones bridge is closed on weekdays until the end of November for forestry operations. This means that on a weekend you can cycle all the way round but not drive up the road.  On a weekday it is not possible to cycle the circular route around the reservoirs

Chris the Tall 18 Oct 2018
In reply to IPPurewater:

I see your question has been answered but a couple of things to be aware of

Where the road is closed to traffic, you tend to get walkers all over the place! I don't have a problem with this, but it does mean you can't go flat out.

On the 2 mile stretch from the A57 to Fairholmes you tend to get a lot of cars parked illegally, along with the traffic problems that this causes. Maybe it's just me, and maybe I picked a bad weekend, but it did rather negate the enjoyment of the traffic free section ! 

Graeme Hammond 18 Oct 2018
In reply to IPPurewater:

From memory it is also closed bank holidays in the summer too. It is worth remembering that the road is still open for access for residents, the Bus service and for any blue badge holders so don't treat it as a closed road. Having driven the road in the week when it is open i can remember at least one instance of a cyclists coming round a blind bend at speed on the wrong side of the road being very surprised to see a car, with such hazzards and many pedestrians driving or cycling along the road requires some care!

Post edited at 12:56
OP IPPurewater 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Thanks gents.

Bellie 19 Oct 2018
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I think the bus service has now ceased operating for good, not just out of season.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...