UKC

Lakeland walks for when the cloud sets in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Twiggy Diablo 23 May 2019

I’m taking my dad for his first trip to the Lakes this wknd and there looks to a significant chance of rain.

We’re not too bothered about getting wet but see little point in going high if no views are on offer, so it would be great to have a backup in mind...

does anyone please have any recommendations for some rugged/remote feeling/spectacular mid-low level walks?

(Ideally not predominantly woodland, pasture, or lakeside).

Thanks in advance!

In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

Walking in to Skiddaw House isn't rugged but it does feel really wild by Lakes standards. You've three valleys to choose from: 1. Follow the River Caldew from Mosedale (long); 2. From Bassenthwaite via Whitewater Dash (scenic waterfall); 3. Up from the south through Glenderaterra (also scenic).

Another great alternative would be a loop from Patterdale. Go up Grisedale, always a nice option, to Grisedale Tarn, then up and over Deepdale Hause into upper Deepdale under Hutaple Crag. It's really wild and rugged up there, one of my favourite places in the Lakes. Down Deepdale to finish.

Pretty hard to beat a walk up upper Eskdale for ruggedness and remoteness.

Langtstrath too, that's well worth the walk if you want low level spectacular-ness, and a good dose of wildness. Up that to to Esk Hause, then down Grains Gill for an extended circuit... 

Some of the Lakeland passes can be as good as a summit day too, and may keep you below cloud level. Threshthwaite Mouth, Nan Bield,  Esk Hause, Sty Head, Black Sail Pass, Scarth Gap Pass... pick a couple and try to devise a circular route... 

OP Twiggy Diablo 23 May 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Super helpful! Thank you!!

it624 23 May 2019
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

Seconding Dan's suggestion of Black Sail - Ennerdale is great, and the remote hostel up there is a cool place to pass by.

Post edited at 15:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...