UKC

LIVE, from the summit of Yr Wyddfa...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richprideaux 31 Jul 2019

New site with live weather feed from t'caff on Snowdon:

https://snowdon.live/

More info here:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/snowdon-live-conditions-weather-bmc-adventure-smar...

pasbury 31 Jul 2019
In reply to richprideaux:

On one hand, that’s cool.

On the other hand, too much information makes things boring.

In reply to pasbury:

> On one hand, that’s cool.

> On the other hand, too much information makes things boring.

Sounds like a fitting epitaph to the early 21st century...

pasbury 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Heartinthe highlands:

Yep

Dan Arkle 31 Jul 2019

I am filled with giggling rage by the way it doesn't tell you the temperature - just what temperature it 'feels like' unless you click through. 

mrphilipoldham 31 Jul 2019

I'm only disappointed that the summit cafe situation was deemed to be of fourth importance.

wintertree 31 Jul 2019

Fail.  

Only gives “feels like” temperature unless you click on the right widget.  

“Feels like” is meaningless enough at an urban level let alone atop a god damned mountain. I think it was the BBC who started the mass dumbing down of weather reporting and led us to this?  Rant rant rant.

ianstevens 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

And the way that they feel the need to show both corrected sea level pressure and actual air pressure on the same y axis, thus obscuring any meaningful change.

Dan Arkle 31 Jul 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

But I really care how you feel! 

FactorXXX 31 Jul 2019
In reply to wintertree: 

> “Feels like” is meaningless enough at an urban level let alone atop a god damned mountain. I think it was the BBC who started the mass dumbing down of weather reporting and led us to this?  Rant rant rant.

It takes into consideration wind chill which is a better indicator of 'real' temperature than ambient.

wintertree 31 Jul 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> It takes into consideration wind chill which is a better indicator of 'real' temperature than ambient.

Disagree totally.  

What it feels like is a function of ambient temperature, wind levels and clothing.  

Unless you specify “feels like when naked” or “feels like when wearing down and goretex” its completely and utterly meaningless.

It is a mathematically degenerate combination of temperature and wind, made using a hidden model (is not given to the reader), and likely a very different model to many readers.

I can almost accept it in the implied context of “feels like, when dressed in domestic/town clothing” but applied to the summit of a hill it’s a nonsense.  On a nice day, you’ll see one person packing all the kit and another running in shorts and a t-shirt.  It doesn’t feel anything alike to those two people.

Post edited at 23:14
 Dan Arkle 31 Jul 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

I don't mind it being stated - its useful to the general muppet population that might nip up 'Mount Snowdon' unprepared. Its certainly a lot better than old school 'wind chill' calculations which were almost total bollox.

I just think actual temperature should be shown first.

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10788306/wind-chill-meaning

tehmarks 01 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> It takes into consideration wind chill which is a better indicator of 'real' temperature than ambient.

But it really isn't! -10 on a still cold day is completely different to 0 (or whatever uncorrected temperature compares) on a windy day despite the fact they may both 'feel like -10'. It's utterly meaningless unless you look at the wind as well - which completely negates the point of correcting it for wind chill!

Siward 01 Aug 2019

No summit webcam? A poor effort I must say.

summo 01 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

The actual temperature is also relevant in knowing what the snow or ice conditions will be like. 

Water does not freeze at feels like 0 degrees, only the real temperature. 

I think it's become an obsession to make everything seem colder, windier etc than it really is, trying to make a news story out of everything. 

Ps real temperature is the still air. Wind chill is the cooling effect on exposed surfaces. 

Post edited at 07:11
 ianstevens 01 Aug 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Also assumes a load of boundary layer based physics that will vary from person to person. It’s a pointless measurement, designed to make everything appear more “extreme”

mcdougal 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Siward:

> No summit webcam? A poor effort I must say.

They tried to install one but got stuck in the queue. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...