UKC

ML Day Rates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 13 Aug 2017
I'm looking to take my Scout Troop out into Snowdonia for a weekend in October. Just for the two days, split them in half. One half kayak for a day, the other go up snowdon. Then visa Versa the next day.

In planning, I'm unsure of a day rate to expect from a private individual for the day?
I know I could email and ask, but I don't want to waste anyone's time, when I could well find the information needed here instead.

They'd be taking a group of around 12/14 for the day, consisting of a couple of adults and 10 10-14year olds.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks
 jezb1 14 Aug 2017
In reply to martinturner:

Somewhere around £125.
 JayPee630 14 Aug 2017

Why on earth won't you ask? Do you come on the internet everytime you need to hire someone and ask rather than asking them direct?

Answer is it depends a bit on other factors. What do you think is a fair rate for all that responsibility in what might be grim conditions, with significant overheads to cover?
OP martinturner 14 Aug 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

No I don't, however, I also don't feel the need to email every single Summer Mountain Leader in Snowdonia asking what their day rate is. Wasting time of people who don't have time to waste.

I put a thread up on this forum, and it will be seen by many mountain leaders (some not in the direct area) and they can choose wether they wish to reply or not.

Then if I get a common answer, and I feel that the price would not be right to continue with the activity, then nobodies time is wasted except mine.

But I can only thankyou for taking time out of your own (VERY CLEARLY) busy day, to reply such a heartfelt and valued response, that was both unnessesary and rude.
 JayPee630 14 Aug 2017

In my (limited) defence, it was early and I hadn't had coffee, apologies for the grumpiness!
 MJAS82 14 Aug 2017

You might find that not many private individuals have an AALS licence unfortunately. For scouting groups using an external provider for hillwalking over 600m, POR requires an AALS licensed provider be used. http://www.aals.org.uk/aals/provider_search.php will allow you to check.

For rates for someone with their own insurance, licence etc, £140+ would be fair. £120 is fairly standard pay for low level centre work, working under a centre's insurance and operating procedures, so I'd expect to pay more than that to a provider as opposed to individual instructor.

Does your county have an active support unit that could help?
OP martinturner 14 Aug 2017
In reply to MJAS82:

Thanks for the reply, some great info there.

I was aware of the insurance needed, but that link is a great tool!

Currently, in my district (Cheshire), we do not have any terrain two permit holders. It seems it is only myself that is actively trying to gain one at the moment. However, with shift work, and limited courses being ran in our district, I'm struggling.
I am in talks with Yr Hafod to try and be assessed asap, but with it being the holiday period, it's proving difficult.

Thanks
 bonebag 14 Aug 2017

You could check out Moorland Adventure who are based in Cheshire who do this kind of work. They are on the internet and I could recommend you look them up and see what they say.

Good luck.
 Hyphin 14 Aug 2017
In reply to jezb1:

> Somewhere around £125.

For rates for someone with their own insurance, licence etc, £140+ would be fair. £120 is fairly standard pay for low level centre work, working under a centre's insurance and operating procedures, so I'd expect to pay more than that to a provider as opposed to individual instructor

To quote,. Saves me typing.
 jezb1 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Hyphin:

In North Wales, £125 is fairly standard I reckon. Not saying some don't get more.

Whether that's fair or not is another matter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...