UKC

New hill snack idea

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 15 Jun 2019

What about mashed banana and peanut butter mix in a tub? Two of my fav foods in marital bliss

Could add oats & honey.

Would the banana go black?

Would it taste too much like baby food?

Rob Parsons 15 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> Would it taste too much like baby food?

Yes

SenzuBean 15 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I think the banana would go black yes, and the oats would be chewy.

I have a recipe that is possibly similar to what you want (easy-peasy and with peanut butter), but it has to be baked.

1.5 cups oats (ideally steel cut; holds together better)
0.5 cups shredded coconut (can sub for more oats instead)
0.5 cup peanut butter (ideally smooth cheap stuff; this functions like peanut flour + oil)
0.5 (or 1 if you used oats instead of coconut) cup jam

1) Mix everything together in a bowl
2) Bake in a small rectangular dish at 180ºC or so until well browned (usually 30-45 minutes or so works well). Slice while hot.

Makes 8 squares (I usually put 2 squares per [biodegradable,reusable] baggy and that's a medium hill meal). Freezes well in said baggies.

Post edited at 20:57
OP Flinticus 16 Jun 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

Jam? What flavour works best?

marsbar 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

You might like these. 

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2015/01/29/peanut-butter-banana-muffins-rec...

I'm not sure how well they travel but it's worth a try. 

KS132 16 Jun 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

> 0.5 cup peanut butter (ideally smooth cheap stuff; this functions like peanut flour + oil)

I like the sound of this but I’m figuring out what I could replace the peanut butter with. 

In reply to KS132:

> I’m figuring out what I could replace the peanut butter with. 

PVA adhesive would have all of the properties and a taste that was only marginally less pleasant.

T.

nathan79 16 Jun 2019
In reply to KS132:

How about a mix of coconut flour and coconut butter or ghee?

SenzuBean 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> Jam? What flavour works best?

Berry jams worked well, as did fig. I've used concord grape jam too, but it was perhaps a bit too much like fake grape taste. Lingonberry was pretty good IIRC. Great way to get rid of jars of jam that are half-used but clearly won't get finished in time.

Phil Scott 17 Jun 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

Sounds nice, will give this a try.

Have you tried making it in bulk and freezing?

DR 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Melt 75g butter, 75g honey and 125g peanut butter in a pan. Add in 200g oats, orange zest, 150g pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds (or whatever seeds you want, 150g dried fruit of choice and bake in a 20cm square tray for 25-20 mins. Job's a good un.

Cheers

Davie

KS132 17 Jun 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Was looking to replace the peanut butter as I don’t like nuts! Had already mentally replaced the coconut with more oats, as suggested.

Perhaps dates and honey? Not sure; I need to give this a go. 

RX-78 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

When I used to do tons of cycling one snack was a cold toast sandwich of banana, peanut butter and honey ( strongly flavoured wild forest honey). Obviously spread as well on the toast. Put in zip lock bag to enjoy later. Also can leave out the banana and swap the honey for a jam like dark cherry.

SenzuBean 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Phil Scott:

I have frozen 4 bags with 2 squares in each and it froze and defrosted well

aln 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I think it sounds like a great combo. Wouldn't mixing with peanut butter stop the banana turning, and even if it did would you notice? If it's a problem then mashing the banana with lemon juice should help. Or how about either making banana bread with added peanut butter or spreading the peanut butter onto slices of banana bread?

Jon Greengrass 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Put it between 2 slices of bread, deep fried and it would be a snack fit for the king.

Bulls Crack 21 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

🤢 then 🤮  for me but enjoy!

Post edited at 18:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...