UKC

North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RockAngel 30 Jan 2013
Hi,
I'm visiting North Wales in a couple of months and I'm looking for places to visit, things to do, etc. Me and my son will be based in Abergele and will have a car so travel isnt a problem. We're doing Snowdon on one of the days but need things to do to keep us entertained the rest of the week. Anyone know of any places to visit, castles, walks, stone circles, caves, river walks, a good coastal walk, tourist attractions that arent too exoensive for rainy days, ah, you get the picture of what we're looking for?
 JamButty 30 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel: Phew where to start - Conwy Castle, Caernarfon Castle, Great Orme, Anglesey in general, Other parts of Snowdonia - get up to the slate mines, Portmeirion, Betws y Coed
Bit further but not much is Llangollen, waterfall at Llanrhaeadr
difficult to pinpoint depends what you want!
 Banned User 77 30 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel: If its raining heavily... aber falls.. spectacular.

Stone circles a few up above Penmaenmawr.

Castles.. loads to go at from there..

I've not been but the power station at Llanberis is meant to be very much worth the visit..

Also depending on how old your son is the tree top adventures thing in Llanberis.. I forget its name, again not done it, but know a few who have and all loved it..

Then Holyhead mountain/south stack/gogarth, again great in stormy weather or in the evening.. bit of a traipse so need to combine with something but a stunning area.
OP RockAngel 30 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Go Ape? We did that last summer for my son's birthday. We had a blast! I did Holyhead Mountain a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to get a guide to Wales from the library
 rockcatch 30 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

I have some suggestions for rest days at http://www.walk-snowdonia.co.uk/rest.php along with some lower level walks at http://www.walk-snowdonia.co.uk/low.php
 WILLS 31 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel: beacon climbing wall. Pennachno mtb trail. White water rafting at bala. Coasteneering. Canyoning. Loads of stuff. Is there still a aquarium in Anglesey?
 Ramblin dave 31 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
The copper mine tour near Beddgelert is quite fun. We recently did a nice short walk in that area as well - Beddgelert -> Gelert's Grave -> Aberglaslyn Gorge (fairly exciting) -> Pont Aberglaslyn then over the top to Llyn Dinas stopping to poke around some of the old mine stuff (at own risk) near the top and then back down Nant Gwynnant to Beddgelert.

Oh, and the steam railway might be worth a shot, too...
 Trangia 31 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

+1 for the Llanberis power station, also Ffestiniog railway and slate mines. For coastal walking the Dunes at Newborough Warren Nature Reserve on Anglesea are worth seeing.
 Mike Peacock 31 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel: Fairy Glen and Conwy Falls are worth seeing near Betws (and Conwy Falls cafe is great). Betws is touristy but worth a mooch round, and the Alpine Cafe is great.

Loads of castles - Harlech, Caernarfon, Conwy, Penrhyn, Beaumaris.

Go Below do mine tours - both the 'challenge' type and more standard tour.
http://www.go-below.co.uk/
So do Corris Mine Explorers, but you might not want to drive that far:
http://www.corrismineexplorers.co.uk/

Lots of nice beaches/coast on Anglesey. Cable Bay, Aberfraw, Porth Dafarch, South Stack are all worth a visit. Plenty of scope for coastal walking there. If you're at South Stack you can pay to go into the lighthouse. You can also get boat trips from Beaumaris round Puffin Island.
 DaveHall246 31 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
Slate mining museum in Llanberis is interesting (and free!), and there are good marked trails through the quarries. Also RSPB reserve at Conwy if you like birds/wildlife (and it has a cafe).
 stargazer85 31 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
I haven't been in the beddgelert mine but the copper mine on the great orme in llandudno was great, amazing small tunnels. Good views back to the mountains too and Llandudno is often out of the rain of the mountains.
 goosebump 31 Jan 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
More to add to the collection and keeping it local(ish) to Abergele:

Day around Llandudno/the orme: The copper mine on the Orme (as seen on coast) is pretty spooky, other orme atractions are the cable car, railway, nature reserve at the top, Parisellas Cave for (hard) bouldering, there is a new art gallery in Llandudno with a good cafe, Woodland Trust Reserves all round the area (Coed y Gopa - also has a bat roost in a grilled cave, Marle Hall Woods, um, some others Ive forgotten) which internationally important for the habitats present/more importantly are utterly gorgeous in spring. Oh, and dont forget sea fishing.

Conwy is lovely, the castle is great and the Albion pub serves good ale. Take a walk into the Carneddau from Sychnant Pass, behind Conwy - there are standing stones up there, visit the RSPB Conwy reserve (farmers market on Wednesdays), or go to the movies (llandudno junction, near tesco).

Moel fammau and the parts of Offas Dyke either side are underrated and little visited compared with other places, worth a tramp about (or mountain bike around, some good trails).

Theres masses more as you progress westward...If your son is a bit littler, pili palas on Anglesey is indoors, has butterflies, lizards, snakes; the new beacon climbing wall is fantastic for all abilities/ages, Greenwood Forest Centre is good, Plas y Brenin does family stuff that might be worth looking into and has gear you can hire if you are under equipped. Go carting at Pwllheli, surfing at Abersoch....Ill stop now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...