UKC

NW Highlands campsites?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 14 Jun 2017
Evening all, looking for some campsite recommendations if you have any please. The missus and I have a week off in July and are looking to head up NW Scotland for some camping and hillwalking, if weather permits.

My better half is by no means a Barbie princess, but I would say life would be better for both of us if there were clean toilets and hot showers available. Not essential, but given the mild winter, a coastal breeze might be good for the midges. Location wise, open to suggestion but thinking anywhere between Fort William and Ullapool. A pub and/or shop within reasonable driving distance wouldn't go amiss.

Hopefully thats open ended enough to get some suggestions going!
 Dave the Rave 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

The main site in the middle of Ullapool is basic but nice. It backs onto a good pub and the shops.
 Ramblin dave 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

I was going to suggest Scourie or Durness, although they're both the far side of Ullapool. The site in Ullapool is good too. If you're in a car and don't mind moving a couple of times then there are far worse trips to be had than a couple of nights each in Durness, Scourie and Ullapool.
 jonnie3430 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

Are there hot showers at the applecross campsite? The pub may make up for it though, a beautiful part of the world.
 DaveHK 14 Jun 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Are there hot showers at the applecross campsite?

Yes, although you might need to wait a bit if it's busy.
 sheelba 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

If you're round Ullapool way you should go to the Port a Bhaigh Campsite. it's the nicest campsite I've ever stayed in up north and fits all your requirements. Showers are great there is a fridge, indoor area to get away from the midges, views are lovely and there is a pub next door, and it's in a beautiful spot right on the coast as well.
 Bulls Crack 14 Jun 2017
aultguish 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

Achmelvich and Clachtoll near Lochinver.....beach heaven and campervan hell
 tony 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Gairloch Sands campsite is large but excellent - Torridonian giants not too farhttp://www.sandscaravanandcamping.co.uk/

This is the one I was going to mention - it's a beautiful location. The downside is that if there isn't a wind, it can be very midgey.
 Pkrynicki1984 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

Gairloch and Clachtoll are both decent but quite full of kids etc I've found !

By far the best campsite i've stayed at is Fiunary campsite on the mainland side of the sound of Mull. Lovely place , great facilities and very very quiet , pub and shops a few miles away in Lochaline. Great walking and climbing within easy reach.

OP Taurig 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

Thanks for all the replies so far folks! Sounds like we have a few options. I've not been to Ullapool since I was a kid but have good, if fuzzy, memories. Would also consider Skye although I understand it is midge hell, maybe best with a B&B?
 thlcr1 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

I liked the Camping and Caravan club site at Poolewe when we stayed a few years ago. The hotel in the village is only a few minutes walk and had a bar which did nice food, and its only a short drive to Gairloch.

Lee
 Nathan Adam 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

Campsite near Reiff is awesome, pub up the hill and shop not too far. Also think they run Ceilidhs in the nearest village at the local hall during the weekends in aid of funding local projects etc.
 Robert Durran 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Nath93:

> Campsite near Reiff is awesome.

Overpriced commercial site. I could never go there anyway because it would just make me even sadder and nostalgic about the demise of the old one
 Nathan Adam 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Shame, we stayed there in my girlfriends van at the meet last October and thought it was nice. Certainly good facilities with nice showers, cooking and washing up space and also a place to sit inside and escape midges with full glass doors to view out of. Also free wifi, but I suppose if you're around an area like that you shouldn't really care about the internet..
Removed User 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Taurig:

Badrallach on Little Loch Broom catches a breeze.
 IanMcC 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

We all miss Achnahaird. But "overpriced commercial" ?
 Robert Durran 17 Jun 2017
In reply to IanMcC:
> We all miss Achnahaird. But "overpriced commercial" ?

I consider any campsite where I have no choice but to pay for facilities I don't need or want overpriced and commercial.

Though, to be fair, it might fulfill the OP's requirements.
Post edited at 08:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...