UKC

Pre-expedition challenge training?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 webbie88 03 Mar 2013
In late june I will be heading to the west coast of America to attempt my scout Explorer Belt expedition, this challenge is a 100mile expedition through the Appalachian Trail while completing 11 challenges. At present I feel I am able to complete the challenge but would like to really improve my fitness to make the challenge easier and a stepping stone for bigger and better expeditions in the future.

As a pre-expediton challenge i was thinking of linking the West highland way and the Great glen way in a 7 day walking extravaganza for charity.

My biggest question for me would be how can I train to gain speed for walking or any hints and tips for trying a long distance walk?
In reply to webbie88:

Some advice:

1) Go to the East coast of American and look there for the Appalachian Trail instead.

2) Practise walking lots.

Have fun.
SethChili 04 Mar 2013
In reply to webbie88:

The only way of training for a long distance walk carrying a heavy load is to walk long distances carrying heavy loads . Some standard preparation might involve ...: Ditch the car , walk everywhere . Carry about 20 full water bottles in a bag on ya back all the time . Go running , go cycling , get a job as leaflet deliver ( It feels like you're being paid to train that way ) .
I would also advise that you look for the Appalachian Trail on the EAST coast of america . And also read 'A Walk In The Woods ' by Bill Bryson to mentally prepare yourself for what you are about to undertake .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...