UKC

Quickest Way Up Tryfan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mxd321 06 Jul 2018

I'm doing the Welsh 3000s (North to South) over the summer and just wanted a bit of advice re Tryfan. I've been up Tryfan many times, but only via the North Ridge or the climbs which start from Heather Terrace.

From memory there are a couple of walking routes around the East/West sides, which would be quicker than the direct north ridge. Any advice on these would be great.

spartacus 06 Jul 2018
In reply to mxd321:

If coming from the North (Ogwen side) the West gully is the easiest way to the top. The path has lots of man made steps and just a little easy scrambling before the summit. 

Post edited at 07:07
 GrahamD 06 Jul 2018
In reply to mxd321:

From memory when I've done it that way, I've gone up to Bwlch Tryfan, cached my bag and went up and down the south side.  Not the most aesthetic route admittedly.

Stichtplate 06 Jul 2018
In reply to mxd321:

As Spartacus said; West gully then South ridge for descent.

In reply to mxd321:

West gully would be quicker, but it's a shame to miss the North ridge, and you may find your legs appreciate the change of pace while scrambling instead of walking uphill. 

Stichtplate 06 Jul 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I'd agree with your reasoning but if I was going to introduce a section of scrambling it'd be Bristly Ridge, if only to avoid the long, steep scree slope onto Glyder Fawr.

mxd321 06 Jul 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

I would agree and am planning on doing Bristly Ridge. Think I want to try another route on Tryfan to the North Ridge which I've done plenty of times. Have descended down the Western Gully so will probably use that in ascent this time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...