UKC

(Re)starting out - tell me everything!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 22 Jan 2021

As a teenager I was a keen walker/wild camper, knocking off a few Long Distance Paths and other reasonably ambitious stuff. Then I went to University, joined the Mountaineering Club and was introduced to the dark side of rock climbing and never looked back. My walking boots (literally) mouldered in a cupboard. Fast forward 40 or so years and, for when the world goes back to some semblance of normality, am suddenly hankering after getting out there again, within the constraints of family life (actually more to escape the constraints of family life!).

Trouble is, I am starting from scratch, I have very little kit and what I do have is probably many years out of date. Of course there are lots of resources online, and some good books (have been reading Phoebe Smith’s stuff which is very enjoyable), but I am sure the collective wisdom of UKC (or I should say UKH…) will come up trumps (can I still use that word?). So, as per the title, please share your thoughts on kit lists (must haves, must not haves…the tent is of course the big choice, apparently 10 person bright orange cotton Vangos aren’t needed these days?!), good places to go for a 2/3 day trip (south west ish good, I’ve already looked at some stuff on Dartmoor, but the mid Wales area has always fascinated me), shoes v. boots, how to charge your mobile phone (a what?!), the list is endless but I am sure you know the stuff!

Feel free to point me at reliable stuff on other sites, looking forward to the contributions!

Rob Exile Ward 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Ah now... Funnily enough Vango tents are STILL worth looking at, though they're made of nylon nowadays! I bought a 2 man for backpacking trips, purists would consider it a bit heavy and it's snug for two, but I've been chuffed to bits with it. (I think mine has evolved into a model called the 'Hellvelyn.')

Stoves are great nowadays, I use an MSR Pocket Rocket  (with a base - v. important!) but other manufacturers do similar.

The Ordnance Survey app is life changing/cheating, (my wife swears by ViewRanger, which does much the same...) I print out the parts of the map I want for each trip, then put them in a polypocket. I don't quite know why because I tend to download the map for the area then rely on the OS map on my phone when I'm out.

Mid Wales has a lot of backpacking opportunities, you won't get many crowds when you leave the main honeypots. There's a good Cicerone guide to backpacking in Wales which gives inspiration to visit less well known parts (I think it's one of a series covering the UK- Backpackers Britain).  

It's weird that after 50 years or so I STILL get enthused about backpacking and once I set out always wonder why I don't do it more often.

Post edited at 10:25
OP Nic 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Thanks Rob, will have a look at those. I saw a kit list somewhere which seemed to add up to around 15kg. I seem to remember carrying 20 or even 25kg when I was young, I may have misremembered or maybe that's just the difference in kit these days.

I may have my old Trangia in a garage somewhere...

r0b 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Modern kit is so much lighter than in the canvas Vango Force 10 days, should be able to get it well below 15kg probably below 10kg (depending on how many days of food you are carrying).

Re. mobile phones. If you keep it on Airplane Mode most of the time the battery should last a few days. Or get a power bank to recharge it

PaulJepson 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

15kg is pretty heavy by backpacking standards, especially as a base weight. 

It all comes down to you personally, the two biggest factors being budget and how uncomfortable you are willing to be. 

The comfort comes down to your plans. If you want to be racing through the hills, covering 20+ miles a day, then you should be willing to be a little less comfortable in your sleep set-up. Logic being that <8hrs of discomfort under a lightweight tarp is better than a full day of discomfort carrying a massive tent. If you're going to plod for 10 miles, set up a nice camp at a viewpoint and cook, then your setup can be a bit heavier/comfier. 

For budget, you could spend between £1-2k easily on your big 3 (tent, sleeping bag, pack).

For a medium budget for someone just coming into it, something like this would work:

Pack - Osprey Atmos 65

Tent - Wild Country Zephros (1 or 2. 2 adds a bit more space for not much more weight)

Sleeping bag - This is too difficult to answer. I like my Enlightened Equipment Revelation Down Quilt, but it's pricey. There are so many options out there, depending on weather conditions, budget, preference.

Pad - Therm-a-Rest Neoair X-lite

Cooking - for a couple of days I would just get something like an MSR pocket rocket and use a gas stove. Over longer distances I used an alcohol stove (Caldera Cone)

OP Nic 22 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks Paul - I suspect I will definitely be at the 10 mile stroll end of things! Also I am likely to be a "fair weather" walker so the kit will be 2/3 season. That said, I don't mind spending a bit on getting good kit!

Helpful comments on tents and stoves (was just looking at a Vaude?) As these are currently on my mind, comments welcome on (in no order) walking poles, shoes v. boots, waterproofs?

r0b 22 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Pack - Osprey Atmos 65

Personally I would go smaller than this, unless planning on doing hikes where you need to carry 4+ days of food. 

Something like the Osprey Exos 48

AWP84 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

For anything south west, I think decent waterproofs have got to be top of my list! They've come on a good way.

There's a lot of options on Dartmoor, but I'd also recommend the coastal path, even just in random sections.

PaulJepson 22 Jan 2021
In reply to r0b:

Good point, you'll always fill a larger pack. I'm generally in the mindset of going a few days between resupply and covering larger distances so carrying a lot of calories. My backpacking pack is 50ltrs and is ideal. 

The best advice I can give for backpacking is the old adage "if you can't wear it all at once, you're carrying too much clothing". Saying that, I do love merino longjohns, long sleeve and socks exclusively for bedtime.  

TobyA 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

I would imagine if you rock climb a lot you might have plenty of clothing that would cross over to hill walking and backpacking?

Years ago I wrote all this out for an article that never got used by UKC but it still makes sense http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-beginner-guide-to-clothing-... Might be a bit more winter oriented than you want, but the basics still make sense, you can buy just a nice lightweight waterproof rather than a heavy one if you plan to most be out in summer-ish weather.

Backpacking has changed a lot with the almost fetishisation of ultralight weight  coming particularly from the US. A lot of the ideas makes good sense and helps you rethink things BUT I'm still a bit sceptical about how well some ideas work in UK conditions of possible rain, likely wind, and midges! Tarps are great IF there are no midges about for example!

Harry Jarvis 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Comfy shoes would be one of my highest priorities. If you're a fair weather walker as you say you are, I'd steer away from leather boots and consider approach shoes (which will be a new thing since your previous adventures). Approach shoes can be thought of as beefed-up training shoes, offering more support and structure than training shoes, with a robust sole. Models are available with Goretex linings, but I've never been sold on these. They're usually more expensive than non-Goretex models, and the life expectancy of the Goretex is often not very good (depending obviously on how often they are worn). 

Fit is all. Unlike the leather boots of old, many approach shoes can be worn straight from the box and don't need extensive wearing-in. Obviously, the ideal would be to try on multiple pairs in a decent outdoor shop, but that is difficult at the moment. There will be some familiar brands such as Scarpa, but there are many newer entrants to the market. Browse the Gear reviews section of this website to see the range of brands and get an idea of what's available (and how much you'll spend). 

PaulJepson 22 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I tried to carry over a similar system I used on the US east coast to the Pennine Way and there was definitely some issues. The inside of my single skin tent and sleeping bag were pretty wet most mornings and while I was never cold, I'd do some things differently in hindsight. Saying that, I still loved having an umbrella. 

PaulJepson 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

I think 'approach shoes' is not the right term here. I don't think approach shoes are good for backpacking at all (as they have quite flat soles, don't breath very well and have loads of unnecessary features like rands, climbing zones, soft-rubber that will wear quickly, etc.). A trail running shoe is more in line with what you described. Something like the Salomon X Ultra would be ideal. 

In the UK I would go for goretex as well (I didn't in US but they don't generally have the boggy ground we do). 

OP Nic 22 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers Toby - I'll have a read. Yes I've got some climbing kit, though not sure how much use my stripy Lycra tights will be? I was never a boulderer so will need to add a beanie to the list...

Re shoes...I'm struggling with the idea of stepping in much more than a puddle and getting wet feet (though I am already an owner of some waterproof socks for countryside running) so am minded to go the boot route.

I think for anything vaguely serious I'll be a tent man. A tarp might be fun for a weather-predictable summer night out in the hills above the house.

In reply to Nic:

Mid Wales is the nicest part of the UK in my biased opinion. Cader Idris is the only real honeypot and everywhere else is pretty quiet. I still haven't got round to it but I've been thinking a walk from Tywyn to Llanuwchllyn along the cader, maesglasau and Aran ridges would be a good 2-3 day trip. A bit further north the traverse of the Rhinogs is an excellent two day adventure. Just don't underestimate how long the rough northern section will take.

J101 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Lots of great advice here, to add a few things not mentioned so far:

Some sort of water purification is always good, a palm size filter unit you can screw onto a drinks bottle or use with a straw, and maybe some purification tablets.

Buy a decent mat, there are some really good inflatable sleeping mats that weigh under 500g and are comfortable. They don't have to cost the earth either, can be had for £40 if you keep an eye out for a sale.

Pocket rocket style stove and a mightymug of some sort is a great combination for a couple of days out but you'll probably need a windshield (and make sure the gas cannister doesn't raise the flame above the windshield before you set out, I speak from experience unfortunately!)

There's always the all in one jetboil style cook system that has the windshield built in. Weighs more though.

For the UK I prefer synthetic sleeping bags, my down bag is lighter and warmer but for multi day use in damp or wet weather it can be a pain to keep dry. Synthetic will be cheaper as well.

And finally a small roll of really good gaffer tape, the kind that sticks even in the wet, can be really handy for patching up things (including yourself if needed).

Post edited at 19:45
 girlymonkey 22 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> The best advice I can give for backpacking is the old adage "if you can't wear it all at once, you're carrying too much clothing". Saying that, I do love merino longjohns, long sleeve and socks exclusively for bedtime.  

I have a dry bag with baselayers and socks which will never be used during the day. They are for sleeping in and always stay dry. I guess I would also consider deploying them in a real emergency, but never just because I am wet or a bit chilly during the day. I just move faster if I need to warm up. 

In reply to J101:>

> And finally a small roll of really good gaffer tape, the kind that sticks even in the wet, can be really handy for patching up things (including yourself if needed).

If you use trekking poles you can tape some around the shaft of a pole.

Welsh Kate 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

I got back into hillwalking some 15 years ago after a 20+ year gap when I was a student, establishing myself in my career etc. and the lightness and breathability of kit was a revelation after the sweaty Peter Storms and leaky boots of my teenage years.

In terms of places - for me mid Wales is Pumlumon / Elan Valley and there's some amazing places to go! I've found VG Backpacking a great site for ideas and inspiration:
https://v-g.me.uk/

Have fun!

Dave Todd 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

For a bit of hill walking / wild camping inspiration treat yourself to watching some of Murray Wilkie's channel;

https://www.youtube.com/user/wilkiemurray/videos

There's some beautiful footage of Scotland's mountains.

OP Nic 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks Kate, there's a great picture in my recently acquired "Big Walks" of a tent pitched by a lake near Pumlumon, quite inspiring!

Rob Exile Ward 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

The source of the Wye on Pumlumon is in fact quite dramatic and well worth visiting. It starts in a real, clearly identifiable spring - water bubbling out of the ground - and on a clear day you can trace the course for miles, and see how it builds all the time as it cuts through the hills towards Builth. It's like studying a map in 3D!

Flinticus 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Approach shoes for me, disagreeing with whoever suggests trail running shoes (though I may use depending on terrain). Soles vary and do not need to be soft (while your trail running shoe soles will wear down too, again varies with model - I use Inov-8s as the fit on some is perfect for me). On wet routes I now wear sealskinz socks with my shoes. Rarely use gaiters.

I've an Alpkit stove which is cheap, reliable, stable and compact.

Platypus bladder for drinking on the move.

Powerbank for phone (it may need to be kept on all night if you have an emergency)

Viewranger for mapping.

Patagonia hard shell and Rab softshell / belay jacket.

That saying re carrying too much if you can't wear it all at once...I carry a fresh top baselayer for sleeping rather than a bag liner. 

Ridge 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I'll muddy the waters and say anything but approach shoes, they're a niche bit of footwear thats designed for dry trails or the dolomites etc and the soles are useless on typical UK mud. Also, althought it could just be my foot shape, unusually uncomfortable compared to s similar weight traineing shoe. Usually worn in the pub as signature equipment that you're a climber 😉

Flinticus 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Mud perhaps but so too are normal walking boots.

In any case I'm rarely walking on mud. Its usually through knee high heather and long hill grass. For a muddy walk through parkland trails it will be my Inov-8s (I've just come back from one such mud trek). 

grectangle 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Nic:

I do a lot of backpacking and hillwalking, have done consistently for 30+ years (started young). It takes a while to work out what you feel is necessary, and what works for you. We can argue in circles about pretty much every aspect of equipment and clothing, but I'll add my thoughts for what they're worth and hopefully not muddy the water even further.

Backpack: make sure it fits and is comfy. Mine is on the heavy side at 5 lbs, but it's got an excellent suspension system and carries weight well. I've tried a few lightweight packs, but they seem make even lighter loads more of a burden to carry. I'd rather carry more weight as long as it's well distributed and balanced.

Tent: I carry a two man tent, it's also heavy at 5 lbs but I like the extra space especially when the weather is foul and you want to have all your stuff inside. Weeks on end living in something no bigger than a coffin is not my idea of a nice time. The rage these days is for superlight one man tents. I camped one night in Glen Shiel in gale force winds with two chaps who both ogled each others featherweight shelters, which each cost more than my entire camp. Both got blown flat in the night, and neither got any sleep. Get a sturdy tent with a bit of extra room.

Boots: get boots. They are so comfy these days, not like yesteryear's. Just make sure they fit your feet and you're away. Many will disagree vehemently with me over this, but trainers just don't have the support and substance to cradle and protect your feet comfortably over long rough distances while carrying weight. If they fit your feet I can highly recommend Aku Superalps. I wore a pair straight out the box on a 500 mile/5 week walk and never had a single blister or hot spot. Kept my feet dry and happy the whole way. Trail shoes are great for short trips/days out, but not for extended walks carrying weight. 

Cooking: I use an empty tuna can with a splash of meths in the bottom. Homemade wire mesh goes around it, sturdy enough to hold the pot above it then a little wind shield wraps around it. Meths are always available and much cheaper than branded cannisters. It's as lightweight as it gets, and you get free tuna with the purchase of every stove.

Water purifier: Sawyer Squeeze mini. These are brilliant and essential.

Sleeping bag: get whatever is on sale and rated for the temperatures you will be using it in.

Clothing: this is too relative to go into, my advise is to get whatever is on sale and appropriate to the weather. Don't get sucked into thinking you need £50 t shirts to go walk around outside, but good solid waterproofs are usually worth it. I always carry a set of longjohns and socks in a dry bag to change into once settled for the evening.

Get some poles, cheaper the better, they're just glorified sticks at the end of the day, but they do help when carrying weight.

If you leave your phone off you won't need to charge it . I just charge mine if I stop for a coffee/meal. 

Paper maps weigh less than GPS devices and don't require chargers. Use maps. 

Last bit of general advice, lots of people agonize over being minimal and having the lightest stuff and go to ridiculous measures, like not carrying a stove for a two week walk and eating uncooked couscous and rice and cold coffee, but have battery packs, GPS devices, solar chargers etc (true story). Don't stress about weight, bring what's essential for you to be comfortable and happy and don't skimp on food! Enjoy the process of working out your own systems. 

Hope some of that helps! Can't wait to get back out on some long walks again.

profitofdoom 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Nic:

My wisdom (ha-ha) is take building up slowly or very slowly and carefully regarding muscles, legs, and fitness (from my experience)

Lots of luck, and hope it's all very enjoyable for you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...