UKC

Snares and Fenn traps up on Derwent edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alx 19 Dec 2017
Out taking snaps of mountain hares today and came across a Fenn trap (with fresh dead stoat) and home made snares (long thin whippy cut branch pushed into the ground with brown string strangle noose) beneath Derwent Edge.

The Fenn trap was clearly setup to catch small slender rodents as it had a metal home made box over it with narrow entrances but the snare seemed set to catch anything.

I couldn’t find much on trapping other than old threads and posts from 2015, anyone know if this is legit?
In reply to alx:

https://m.facebook.com/huntinvestigationteam

New owner/management team 'looking after' the Moscar Estate. They've refused permission for one or two established running events so maybe a sign of things to come.
pasbury 19 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

As i’ve said before, remove these stupid nasty things and put them in the bin.

In reply to pasbury:

> As i’ve said before, remove these stupid nasty things and put them in the bin.

I presume that to do so would be illegal? Is 'innocently' springing a trap illegal?
 olddirtydoggy 20 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

Last year we found a good number of traps up over some moors not too far from there. Wires set up around holes in old dry stone walls and places like that. We removed the lot due to the nature of the injuries these things cause until somebody returns to them. I've no issue with hunting humanely but this type of baiting falls in a similar box to fox hunting for me in the sense that it's a cruel way to control animals.
 bone 20 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

Re snares the legality of them is dubious as it depends whether they loosen if animal stops resisting, or self locking. In reality most running snares cause just as much injury and probably only serve to prolong the agony. I spring, cut or uproot every trap I came across.
Moley 20 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

This covers snares, legalities and correct practice, as a guideline if anyone finds some. There is slightly different legislation in England/Scotland/Wales.

https://basc.org.uk/cop/snares-for-fox-control-in-england/

Regards traps, there are similar restrictions and best practices. I do wonder that when someone mentions trapping a mouse in the kitchen or rat under the shed nobody questions it, but it comes a major issue if done elsewhere.
 Billhook 20 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

Grouse moors don't like Mountain Hares because they carry the virus which can kill grouse. Mountain hares are killed in their hundreds on Scottish estates.
 Jenny C 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:
Not just Scotland. We have been doing regular mountain hare surveys on the Derwent moors and in the last few years numbers of hares seen on the privately owned moorland (which used to have really high populations) had significantly fallen in comparison to adjacent areas owned by the national Trust
 Tom Valentine 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

If we follow the trend of wanting to eliminate fauna which are not indigenous to our national ecosystem then I believe the mountain hare should have no place in England.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Jolly good. I look forward to hearing more from Britain First's wildlife section.

T.
 Phil1919 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Moley:

If its in the kitchen I would catch a mouse with a humane trap and remove it as I haven't got any predators to keep them under control inside. Out on the moors (which should be woods) I am happy for nature to take its course and for mice to be part of a diverse ecological system.
 Tom Valentine 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
Britain First 's wildlife section?
They're on UKC all the time, wanting the grey squirrel and the mink eradicated from our country. Not forgetting the other arch villain, the signal crayfish.
As I've said before, the grey squirrel is a welcome visitor to my garden and I treasure the one opportunity I have had to see a beautiful creature like a mink in the wild.
My previous post began with the word "if".
I actually enjoy seeing mountain hares on Bleaklow and Black Hill. I also love to work in a field with a little owl chelping at me from a nearby tree. The fact that neither of these creatures is indigenous to England is irrelevant to me, and the same goes for the grey squirrel and the mink.
Post edited at 17:23
 Brass Nipples 22 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

Saw a black squirrel today
 Tom Valentine 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

F*cking immigrants. They come over here, spreading disease among our population with their filthy lifestyle, and to top it all off they start stealing our jobs and moving into our neighborhoods. Next thing you know there'll be a family in your neck of the woods.
Send the buggers back, that's what I say.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...