UKC

somewhere/something exciting in peak district I haven't been

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 06 Jul 2017
I'm desperate to get out of the house on Saturday and go somewhere new with my other half.

Can someone tell me some exciting places in the peak district with either nice views or easy scrambles or fun streams or waterfalls or nice pubs or cafes or caves or picnic spots or something like that or completely different? Bit vague but just looking for some inspiration really!

I've been up Kinderscout loads and generally around that area but I'm sure I've missed lots of fun stuff.

Many thanks!
 Ramblin dave 06 Jul 2017
In reply to elliot.baker:

Lud's Church? You can come up with some sort of circular route from Upper Hulme, and combine it with a sort-of scramble / general tit-around down the rocks at the East end of the Roaches ridge.
Try a walk to Lud's Church - SJ 987656. Go from Danebridge or Roach End - you can put together a wee circular route from either that includes the Dane Valley. Good pubs at Wincle & Hulme End nr Leek/Buxton Rd.
Edit: I see that someone beat me to it!
Post edited at 17:12
 Ramblin dave 06 Jul 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Great minds etc.
 cragtyke 06 Jul 2017

Giant's Hole, take wellies and a torch, look for a plan online.
OP elliot.baker 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Yeah that is crazy that you both mentioned the same place I've never heard of .... really weird!
 TobyA 06 Jul 2017

Bleaklow via Wild Boar Clough? Did this a month or so back - the scrambling is pretty good fun and once you emerge is about 30 minutes across the plateau to the 'summit' of Bleaklow. Walk back down the Pennine Way then back along the Longendale Trail. It was a long morning out for me.
 marsbar 06 Jul 2017

It's the first place I thought of as well, it's amazing.
mysterion 06 Jul 2017
Shutlingsloe, the Cheshire Matterhorn no less. Chrome hill and Parkhouse hill. Look out for wallabies near Lud's Church, they are still around.
Post edited at 19:38
 leon 1 06 Jul 2017
Starting at Earl Sterndale do a circular walk taking in the ridges of Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill. Afterwards have a drink in the Quiet Woman and discover what it was like in a pub in 1954

Edit Bloody Hell Is everyone having the same ideas at the same time today ?
Post edited at 19:35
 Graeme Hammond 06 Jul 2017
Go to the chew valley combine a walk with this scramble Wilderness Gully East (Summer) (M) then head over to ravenstones and walk through the 1.2 km tunnel see some details here: http://www.doveheritage.com/tunnel-under-the-hills/ obviously this last bit could be dangerous (well so can scrambling) and might be trespassing so do it at your own risk. When I've been through on numerous occasions you just get wet (and cold) feet from a tiny trickle of water down the middle like in one of the photos in the link. Mid way down there is a inlet from above which gives you a shower and the water level increases to ankle height if it is a trikkle at the entrance. You also need to be able to climb the wall at the far end of the tunnel too. This is not hard and sometimes there is an old rope in place too but it might be worth having a short rope or slings to aid your other half if they are not used to climbing. PS torches are for wimps
Post edited at 19:45
 DerwentDiluted 06 Jul 2017
In reply to mysterion:

> Shutlingsloe, the Cheshire Matterhorn

Maccahorn?

ThunderCat 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Just moved to the area and have started exploring around dovestones...this looks interesting...
 JamButty 06 Jul 2017

Manifold Valley, Thors Cave
 John Ww 07 Jul 2017

Such a shame that Penistone is just outside the park boundary - it doesn't get much more exciting than that on a hot summer Saturday night!!

JW
 mrteale 07 Jul 2017

Have you been swimming at Slippery Stones in the Upper Derwent Valley? really nice spot although might be busy on a weekend.
OP elliot.baker 08 Jul 2017
In reply to mrteale:

good shout! I think we might have a picnic at Upper Derwent reservoir - looks like a short walk! I might take my swimming shorts!
 Si_G 09 Jul 2017
In reply to leon 1:
> Starting at Earl Sterndale do a circular walk taking in the ridges of Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill. Afterwards have a drink in the Quiet Woman and discover what it was like in a pub in 1954

> Edit Bloody Hell Is everyone having the same ideas at the same time today ?

That was going to be my suggestion!

Upper Lathkill Dale and the top end of Dovedale (away from the crowds) are great.
How far do you want to walk?
You can do a 22mile circuit of the Dove and Manifold from Tissington or Ilam. I'm less fond of the Manifold as its partially dry in summer, but there is Thor's cave as suggested.
Post edited at 21:45
 Offwidth 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mysterion:

Is that true... I've not heard of any Wallaby sightings for a decade?
 leon 1 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
http://www.roaches.org.uk/wallabies.htm
But the 3 Yak released at the same time as the wallabies - What happened to them ?
Post edited at 12:05
mysterion 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
Think I saw one myself about four years ago soon after emerging from the top end of Lud's Church. Just a head above the undergrowth so not confirmed as not a deer. It did have something of that camel-like wallaby look to it though...
Post edited at 12:28
 ThunderCat 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
I think I found this tunnel last night......west side of Greenfield reservoir?

Edited: Actually it's not the west side at all. I was heading westish, but it bends around more than I thought.

Pics I took match the ones on your link.

What an awesome part of the world.
Post edited at 13:05
 John Gresty 11 Jul 2017

Maybe a bit late, but how about making either 'The Tube' or the 'Saltpan' as the objective for a walk. Both interesting trips even if rather esoteric.

You will probably need to do some research to trace these, but that's half the fun.

John Gresty
Lusk 11 Jul 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:

Did you go through it?
It's a bit freaky first time, with no light, and you can hear this running water getting louder and louder then further you go in
Other good tunnels are the Standedge ones, between Diggle and Marsden. Get into the disused rail tunnels then you can visit the live rail and canal tunnels through loads of inter-connecting passages.
We used to go down the canal tunnel in an old rubber dinghy and a Tilley lamp in the days before it was renovated. The time we could hear a relentless hissing sound was quite amusing ...
 ThunderCat 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Getting a bit dark at that point so I chickened out, haha. Plan for the weekend....
Lusk 11 Jul 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:

Pussy
 ThunderCat 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Lusk:

If the cap fits. Etc
Haha
Lusk 24 Jul 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:

I need to up my observational skills a bit!
The number of times I've been up there and have never noticed this ...
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/the-chew-reservoir-syphon-greenfield-saddlewo...
Dig out my torch and a trip up to Chew sometime soon for me.
 ThunderCat 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Lusk:
> I need to up my observational skills a bit!

> The number of times I've been up there and have never noticed this ...

> Dig out my torch and a trip up to Chew sometime soon for me.

Well me a mate went down there on Saturday afternoon and had a lookabout!

We managed to get about thirty metres in before we turned back...torches just weren't up to the task unfortunately. It is bloody dark!!! Aiming to go back very soon if you're interested in joining us? Need to wait for a spell without rain though - there had been some rain the night before and there was about four inches of running water going down. Very slippy inside. Where you based? I'm in Mossley, so about two hours walk from here.

Edited: - Hold on a moment! This isn't what I was expecting? I don't know where this is??? I was talking about the overflow channel that goes from the bottom of Greenfield waterfall through the hill to dovestones...this is something new...Need to find this....let me know when you're heading up there!
Post edited at 15:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...