UKC

'The XX Matterhorn....'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hugh1201 21 Aug 2020

Hi there, 

I'm trying to compile a list of mountains that are known as 'The Matterhorn of....'. So for example, Cnicht as The Welsh Matterhorn, or Mount Assiniboine as the Matterhorn of the Rockies. 

Anyone know any others? 

Thanks! 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Roseberry Topping - the Matterhorn of Cleveland

Parkhouse Hill - the Peak

Shutlingsloe - Cheshire

Chris

Lankyman 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Not entirely sure but I think Mt Aspiring is the Matterhorn of the Southern Alps.

Belles Knott is the M of Easedale (according to Wainwright).

Post edited at 10:50
 Ian Parsons 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Machapuchare.

Ian Parsons 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

[.... of Nepal].

In reply to hugh1201:

Sgurr na Ciche - " Matterhorn of Knoydart "

Grahame N 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

The Gez Matterhorn in Xinjiang China near Kongur  https://www.alamy.com/gez-matterhorn-image278825424.html

Dave Hewitt 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

There's the rather fine Matterhorn rock on Grey Friar:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5842804

I once found a similar one in the eastern glen between Ben More and Stob Binnein, but I don't think that has a name.

Craig Leith is the Eiger of Alva.

Lankyman 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I've seen Ama Dablam given the title.

Shivling is the Matterhorn of the Himalayas I think.

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

That does look like the matterhorn.  I'll take a close look next time I'm there.

Jp 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Nick Bullock in echoes refers to Jirishanca as "the Matterhorn of Peru".

TobyA 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

There's Matterhorn Ridge (VD) in Winnats Pass. Tilt your head to 45 degrees, squint (and drink heavily) and you can sort of see it.

Dave Hewitt 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Jp:

> Nick Bullock in echoes refers to Jirishanca as "the Matterhorn of Peru".

My better half reckons that the pointy Meall Garbh bit on the Tarmachan ridge is like Machu Picchu.

Ian Parsons 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> I've seen Ama Dablam given the title.

> Shivling is the Matterhorn of the Himalayas I think.

Ah. A bit of googling suggests that Shivling was simply called 'Matterhorn Peak' and that it was Ama Dablam that had the '.... of the Himalayas' suffix.

I seem to recall that Fred East once had a job that involved climbing a papier-mâché Matterhorn at Disneyland in Los Angeles. I've no idea what its full title was!

skog 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Alastair MacSween:

> Sgurr na Ciche - " Matterhorn of Knoydart "

Yep. There's also Cir Mhor, "Matterhorn of Arran" - and Suilven, "Scotland's Matterhorn".

I think this labelling happens to pretty much any reasonably pointy, rocky hill that isn't close to a pointer, rockier one, though.

In reply to hugh1201:

Matterhorn boulder at Almscliff...

DerwentDiluted 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Shutlingsloe - Cheshire

The Maccahorn?

Kalna_kaza 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Grisdale Pike is referred to as "The Matterhorn of the Lake District" in some walking guides, though obviously not by anyone local or, in fact, anyone who has seen the Matterhorn.

ClimberEd 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

The matterhorn of Henley-on-Thames.

Literally.

https://thegardenstrust.blog/2019/05/04/the-henley-matterhorn/

Doug 21 Aug 2020

There's a boulder at Chamarande known as 'le Cervin', with several routes including L' Arete de Zmutt

joepremier 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Zimba, the Matterhorn of Vorarlberg/Montafon

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimba

steveb2006 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Manamcho - the Matterhorn of Tibet

wercat 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

penicillin is good for matterhorn

Tom Last 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Mt Aspiring, definitely Matterhorn of the Southern Alps.

More tongue in cheek, but have heard it locally, Sky Tip - the Matterhorn of the Cornish Alps...

https://www.staustellvoice.co.uk/news/0/article/5192/

I prefer to think of it more as the Alpamayo.

Post edited at 13:22
 Red Rover 21 Aug 2020
 Tyler 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

The Weisshorn is often referred to as the Matterhorn of the Swiss Alps and looking at it you can see why.

Lankyman 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Tyler:

Toblerone is the Matterhorn of Swiss chocolate.

In reply to Tyler:

> The Weisshorn is often referred to as the Matterhorn of the Swiss Alps and looking at it you can see why.

That doesn't make much sense, seeing that the Matterhorn is just opposite the Weisshorn and they're in full view of each other. Also, great and grand as it is, the Weisshorn has none of the unique 'singularity' and sculptural savagery of the Matterhorn.

alan moore 21 Aug 2020
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> Matterhorn boulder at Almscliff...

And Wimberry

wintertree 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Roseberry Topping is often remarked to look like the Matterhorn.  In miniature.  I’ve yet to hear it called The Matterhorn of North Yorkshire however.  “The mini Matterhorn” is sometimes used.

nickg_oxford 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Wittenham Clumps - the, err, Matterhorns of southern Oxfordshire

Big Steve 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Vercenik, in the Kackar Daglar of Turkey is often compared to the Matterhorn. 

Babika 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I've always known Roseberry Topping as The Matterhorn of the North"

Its a lovely summit!

MG 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> That doesn't make much sense, seeing that the Matterhorn is just opposite the Weisshorn and they're in full view of each other.

It doesn’t. But they aren’t opposite each other. Perhaps you are thinking of Dent Blanche?

bouldery bits 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

The conical, volcano-like spoil heap at Red Lake on Dartmoor is somewhat Matterhornish.

In reply to hugh1201:

Sugar Loaf, the Matterhorn of Abergavenny isn't it.

George Ormerod 21 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Assiniboine is sometimes known as the Matterhorn of the Rockies (and it's a big pile of choss like the Matterhorn).  Though Barry Blanchard recons that as Assiniboine is geologically older, the Matterhorn should be known as the Assiniboine of the Alps.

Lankyman 22 Aug 2020
In reply to George Ormerod:

> Assiniboine is sometimes known as the Matterhorn of the Rockies (and it's a big pile of choss like the Matterhorn).  Though Barry Blanchard recons that as Assiniboine is geologically older, the Matterhorn should be known as the Assiniboine of the Alps.

With such a prominent peak you'd think it would have a local, native name. I can't find one though. Assiniboine is a local tribe but what did they call it?

Lankyman 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Toblerone is the Matterhorn of Swiss chocolate.

To my disliker: did you break a tooth on it?

malk 22 Aug 2020
 milus 22 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

The Uja di Mondrone is sometimes referred to by locals as the Matterhorn of the Valli di Lanzo in northern Italy.

In reply to MG:

> It doesn’t. But they aren’t opposite each other. Perhaps you are thinking of Dent Blanche?

I expressed myself badly. I didn't mean literally next to each other, but the north face of the Matterhorn faces the Zinal Rothorn and the Weisshorn. I've been on the top of the Rothorn and taken pictures in either direction of the Matterhorn and the Weisshorn. What i really meant was that they are in (quite) close sight of each other.

BTW, I still have my wonderful 'Zermatt und Umgebung' map dating from 1966/67 showing all the walking and climbing I did there with my brother at the age of 16/17:

https://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/ZermattUndU.jpg

malk 22 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

> Yep. There's also Cir Mhor, "Matterhorn of Arran" - and Suilven, "Scotland's Matterhorn".

how can we forget Matterhorn of Skye: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clach_Glas

In reply to MG:

And here, following from my last, are some pictures taken from the summit of the Zinal Rothorn at the time on a Kodak Brownie camera. Clockwise from top L: Matterhorn, Dent Blanche, self with Weisshorn behind, Heinrich Taugwalder:

https://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/ViewsfromZRothorn1966.jpg

Lankyman 22 Aug 2020
In reply to malk:

> Grisedale Pike, the Matterhorn of Lakeland

I've never heard it referred to as that in almost 50 years of walking around the Lakes. I can't recall Wainwright calling it such either. Must be a GoLakes (or whatever the hell they call it now) invention.

malk 22 Aug 2020

wonder if Ashley Abraham started all this?

malk 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

i also missed Kalna's post upthead where he said it's mentioned in some guidebooks..

MG 22 Aug 2020

Lots of snow and ice still there...Very different today.

Steve Woollard 22 Aug 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

> The conical, volcano-like spoil heap at Red Lake on Dartmoor is somewhat Matterhornish.

Red Lake is the Dartmoor volcano, everyone knows Stapleton Tor is the Dartmoor Matterhorn 😀

George Ormerod 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> With such a prominent peak you'd think it would have a local, native name. I can't find one though. Assiniboine is a local tribe but what did they call it?

You’d think, but no one knows. It was enlightened in 1885 to name it after the local First Nation, rather than any number of rich or politically prominent old white men. Or even worse, something like the ‘Squaw’s Tit’ above Canmore!

Lankyman 22 Aug 2020
In reply to George Ormerod:

> Or even worse, something like the ‘Squaw’s Tit’ above Canmore!

You mean like Sgurr na Ciche or the Paps of Jura? As for The Devil's Point, I won't even start.

I'll bet there probably is a native name but it didn't go down well with the Victorian white explorers.

mysterion 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Probably 'The Mountain' - just like any local, anywhere.

mysterion 22 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Just seen a Mali Matterhorn ('Little Matterhorn) easy of Skrlatica in the Julian Alps of Slovenia.

Iain Thow 22 Aug 2020
In reply to alan moore:.....and Baslow, and in Coire Lagan (not a bad resemblence that one)

BuzyG 22 Aug 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

LoL. That made me chuckle.  Nice spot for a swim too.

In reply to hugh1201:

Just stumbled on this but if you're still compiling your list there is Yari ga Take, the matterhorn of the Japan alps. 

Cheers 

Rich W Parker 27 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

There's one on skye, next to the path on the walk out of Coire lagan.

J Whittaker 29 Aug 2020
In reply to hugh1201:

Billinge Hill....The Matterhorn of Wigan

In reply to hugh1201:

Bernia - the 'Matterhorn of the Costa Blanca', especially when seen from Guadalest

Lankyman 29 Aug 2020
In reply to J Whittaker:

> Billinge Hill....The Matterhorn of Wigan

Nah. If you're old enough to remember the Wigan Alps (aka the Three Sisters or Abram Alps) one of them was much more of a Matterhorn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...