UKC

What's in your flask for a big day out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Hayward 26 Dec 2017
It's occasionally a bit nippy... what's your 'go to' hot drink in your flask?
 Pete Houghton 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Steve Hayward:

If it's a short day a pint of tea, if it's a long day a pint of strong coffee, and if it's a short but hard day a pint of hot blackcurrant squash in which two tea bags have been steeped.
In reply to Pete Houghton:

> if it's a short but hard day a pint of hot blackcurrant squash in which two tea bags have been steeped.

I hope that tastes better than it sounds.
 Dave the Rave 26 Dec 2017

Coffee with some cheap whisky. Or tea with some cheap whisky. Never just cheap whisky. The good whisky goes in my hip flask
 alx 26 Dec 2017

Black Earl Grey with lots of sugar.

Tastes amazing and leaving the bag in doesn’t seem to make the tea taste stewed.
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Surprisingly enough it tastes a lot like hot blackcurrant squash, which is just dandy if you are into it, and the tea helps out if you have to feed a genuine caffeine addiction. The sugars in the squash give you a lift when you are flagging a bit, without having to put sugar in your tea, which isn't for me.

Additionally, if you are just after the fluids and not the mental boost of a hot drink, you can dilute your hot squash 50:50 with snow and get a litre of liquid for the carried weight of just one pint, and it is more pleasant to drink tepid squash than tepid tea or coffee.
 damowilk 26 Dec 2017

I once saw mention on here of mars bar “soup”, melting them in hot milk.
Tried that, but was too sickly sweet, so experimented over time to settle on the current recipe of:
Hot milk, 1 mars bar melted in it, few spoons spicy Mexican-style hot chocolate powder, a shot or 2 of espresso, and a nip of brandy.

It’s great for Winter days out, spicy and warming, and very calorific, I barely need to eat. Always popular with ski touring or mountaineering partners.
 tehmarks 26 Dec 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Now that is something I need to try out.
 Neil Pratt 26 Dec 2017

Hot pressed apple juice, with a good pinch of cinnamon; smells great, tastes even better.
In reply to damowilk:

I do the same kind of thing occasionally. That shit is the bomb, yo. When cold, too, it works well in a soft flask as a kind of homemade "energy gel".
 Brass Nipples 26 Dec 2017

Thick vegetable soup
+1 for Bovril but no salt!
 bouldery bits 26 Dec 2017

Flask?

Nah. A small stove and either instant coffee and a tiny bottle of milk or earl grey- black.

No sugar.

(All packed for tomorrow!)
 Pete Dangerous 26 Dec 2017

Mocha in the winter, tea in the summer

Instant beetroot soup from the Polish food section of most major supermarkets, or Marigold vegetable bouillon
 Mountain Llama 26 Dec 2017

Hot ribena, low sugar version

I have a vague memory of the Zermatt guides having some wonderful concoction of lemon tea and gluhwein ... I wish I could remember exactly what it was. It managed to be both refreshing and warming at the same time. Perhaps it was just cold lemon tea with a dash of brandy??
 alx 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

“Glunwein a spiced liquor, was used among other things to revive messengers and postmen who travelled on horseback or skis in cold weather in Scandinavia.”

Sounds great!
 Tim Sparrow 26 Dec 2017

Ginger and lemon slices, hot water over.
A bit of sugar for a long day.
 Flinticus 26 Dec 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Usually nothing but this sounds worth trying
 Bulls Crack 26 Dec 2017
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

A stock cube? Not coffee then?!
 CEW 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Steve Hayward

I admit to being addicted to Ribeana - warm sugary and it doesn't matter if its hot, tepid or cold. Or Ginger squash but most likely the Ribeana...
 cousin nick 27 Dec 2017
Coffee, white, no sugar. For really long days I take the jetboil rather than a flask.
N
Post edited at 18:32
 David Cowley 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

Same but with honey instead of sugar
1philjones1 28 Dec 2017

Oxo cube in 500ml of boiling water. Tasty and contains salts. Also great for camping as they weigh nothing.
 Brass Nipples 28 Dec 2017

Oxtail soup is another favourite.
 Brraparazzi 26 Jan 2018

Usually I carry a small stove and make tea or coffee. M&S's is one of the best instant coffees going. I usually have both fresh milk and a little bag of coffee mate because I prefer it in coffee although on windy days it can be fun getting that in the cup.

Occasionally I'll carry a flask full of tea on shorter walks but carry milk separately as it tastes rank after a few hours with the milk in.

Whatever the weather I take a litre of water with a couple of High 5 berry flavour electrolyte tabs dropped in as I'm very prone to severe cramp if I get dehydrated and given that I usually consume caffeine in either the coffee or energy gels (if required), I've got to stay on top of hydration.

Pkrynicki1984 26 Jan 2018

Hot vimto with cheap whiskey 

lone 26 Jan 2018

Always have 2 shachetts of Maxwell House 3 in 1 and an occational packet of biscuts

Brass Nipples 26 Jan 2018

Had chicken fried rice in my flask today. Yummy.

Trangia 26 Jan 2018

Nescafe Gold Blend coffee with hot cross buns.

Pipecleaner 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

Hot vimto but no whisky.  Stored where i can be bothered if it's snowy! 

Pipecleaner 26 Jan 2018

Hot vimto but no whisky.  Stored where i can be bothered if it's snowy! 

Pipecleaner 26 Jan 2018

Hot vimto but no whisky.  Stove where i can be bothered if it's snowy! 

Post edited at 17:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...