UKC

Why is there a helicopter flying out rocks from Torridon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arbu 12 Jul 2021

As I was climbing Liathach a couple of weeks ago I was disturbed by the activities of a helicopter flying in and out to collect large (and presumably very strong) bags of rocks that someone must have collected on the slopes of Beinn Dearg.

Why are they doing that? Presumably they want the rocks for building material. But is it really worth the trouble and expense? Surely there are easier ways to get hold of rocks in Scotland?

In reply to Arbu:

Sounds like path building, worked on the tourist path on the Ben years ago. Most suitable rocks on nearby scree slopes were loaded into tonne bags and flown to the work sites. Idea is to use local material. 

girlymonkey 12 Jul 2021
In reply to Arbu:

The mountains there are too high and rocky. They decided to make them flatter and smoother. 😉

OP Arbu 12 Jul 2021
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

I see, that makes some sense. It makes me more forgiving of having had my peace disturbed while hiking, and a lot of the paths I walked on were well-maintained, so I should be grateful for that.

tjdodd 12 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Don't be silly.  They are stockpiling ammunition for the trebuchet ready to defend Hadrian's wall after independence.

In reply to tjdodd:

They're reopening the Langdale hand axe factories, too...

JDal 13 Jul 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

> Don't be silly.  They are stockpiling ammunition for the trebuchet ready to defend Hadrian's wall after independence.

Sod off. You aren't having Northumbrian sandstone.

In reply to Arbu:

> As I was climbing Liathach a couple of weeks ago I was disturbed by the activities of a helicopter flying in and out to collect large (and presumably very strong) bags of rocks that someone must have collected on the slopes of Beinn Dearg.

Geological vandalism - they did the same thing on Blencathra/Saddleback, raping and pillaging 15,000 year old pristine peri-glacial screes untouched by man, then dumping the stones for those awful urban staircases in the wrong geological locale. There is a world-famous metamorphic aureole on Blencathra and they completely buggered up the layout of the naturally occurring rock-types. They are ignorant vandals if the same thing is happening that you described.

DC

OP Arbu 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Those urban staircases do take away a bit of the wildness of the mountains, but they are better than a footpath that keeps getting wider and wider as people try to avoid the muddy eroded sections in the middle.

Hopefully they had a geological consultant to advise them where to take the rocks from.

ThunderCat 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Arbu:

The fools.  Those rocks were specifically put there as ballast.  At some point they'll tip the balance and it will float away into the sky

Ridge 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Arbu:

> Hopefully they had a geological consultant to advise them where to take the rocks from.

Probably the same ones involved in Stonehenge. 

"Yep, bluestones will be fine"

Myfyr Tomos 13 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> The mountains there are too high and rocky. They decided to make them flatter and smoother. 😉

Brilliant!

Lankyman 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> Probably the same ones involved in Stonehenge. 

> "Yep, bluestones will be fine"

I think you'll find that aliens flew them over to Wiltshire. Or the druids did.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...