UKC

Wild Camp near Glen Coe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duracell 02 Jul 2013
Can anyone suggest a decent spot to wild camp in/around the Glen Coe area? If anyone can provide a grid ref or lat/long that'd be appreciated Cheers
JT
 Banned User 77 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Duracell: Glen Etive? or too far?
OP Duracell 02 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Whenever I've been to the area I've stayed at campsites or hostels, so open to any suggestions! Glen Etive sounds ideal.
 Mark Collins 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Duracell: I've seen folk camping outside the Kingshouse on the opposite side of the River Etive. Also, most of the way down Glen Etive. This was a couple of years back, so I'm not sure what the situation is now. Sadly the days of camping outside the Clachaig are long gone. Some organised campsites near there though.
 Gawyllie 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Duracell: camped in Etive a few times, can get quite busy. if the midgies are out try not to go too far as sometimes you can get a bit of a breeze before you lose more height.

people do camp outside the kings house too but ive never done this and don't know what the situation is.
 Drexciyan 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Duracell:

Its free to camp behind the Kingshouse - i.e. they allow it and you can go into the pub to escape the midges. Wild camping in Glen Etive is very nice but sadly it is suffering from overuse, or rather inappropriate use - big groups, fires, rubbish etc.
In reply to Drexciyan: Agreed. It's been quite a mess at the bottom of the glen the last two times I've camped there - and one of those was in january
 the abmmc 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Duracell: There's a great camp spot in the flats of the lost valley, or beside the river at the foot of the buchaille. It depends if you want quick access to the road or are prepared to walk for a mile or so. Nobody cares where you camp as long as you tidy up and leave nothing behind. So many people were camping outside the Clachaig that the water was being polluted so NTS discouraged it, doesn't take much ingenuity to find a spot away from eyes though. Tom
 Banned User 77 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: I used to stay there a bit, but that was back in 2005 when I live in Scotland.. but even then it was busy.
Slugain Howff 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Duracell:

The garden of Jimmy Savile's cottage was looking pretty overgrown when I passed at the weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...