UKC

Winter-proof hill snacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 anaesthetic 13 Jan 2013
Can anyone recommend some good energy boosting hill food that won't freeze? Had a very hard Mars bar and JellyTots today and inevitably my lucozade sport was turning into a slushy in my backpack wand pocket (quite nice actually!)
 girlymonkey 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: Keep your snack in a pocket of your jacket - that way you can have your snack of choice! I personally take oatcakes, or Nairns now do really yummy oat ginger bisuits. Never found either of these to be particularly hard in cold weather.
 wercat 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

Jam sandwiches, recession bustingly cheap, and good enough for miners in the bad old days when my grandad was down the pit.

Homemade gooseberry is nice
OP anaesthetic 13 Jan 2013
In reply to wercat:

Jam + peanut butter is one of my old favs. Had ham today.
OP anaesthetic 13 Jan 2013
In reply to girlymonkey: Thanks for the jacket pocket tip (and oatcake recommendation, usually have them with chutney/jam but the ginger variety sounds good!) I usually keep some gloves in pockets to keep 'em warm when not in use, so yeah sounds like a good idea to put snaks in there instead of backpack pockets, if I can make room!
 Fiona Reid 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

Jelly babies don't seem to freeze toooo badly. Peanut butter and one of jam/honey/lemon curd bagels are rather nice and don't get squished too badly. Flapjack is pretty good too.

Chocolate bars get eaten at the start of the day before they freeze.
 Darkskys 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: put your food in your spare hat to keep it warm. Always done this for my flapjacks and chocolate whilst out. Today was mainly jam and peanut sarnies...belting!
 Timmd 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:Bread and honey?
 RichardP 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:
Malt loaf and primula cheese
 CarolineMc 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: Cold pizza... hill food of champions! Co:
 veteye 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

> Jam + peanut butter is one of my old favs.

How about Cheese and Jam sandwiches, or Cheese and Honey, or Cheese and Nutella.Another tooth sensitiser is Philadelphia and Golden Syrup,but it is a real problem to transport these sandwiches in a rucksac...Maybe not in truly cold conditions..
Jim C 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid:
> (In reply to anaesthetic)
>
>
>
> Chocolate bars get eaten at the start of the day before they freeze.

Frozen is best, they last longer,

but if it is a Mars bar or similar , before you go out in the cold, get the back of a knife and press grooves in at bite size distances, then when it freezes it will snap off easily even with a gloved hand to give a handy mouthful that you can suck until it is soft enough to chew.

Jamie B 13 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

Eccles cakes.
 Timmd 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to Fiona Reid)
> [...]
>
> Frozen is best, they last longer,
>
> but if it is a Mars bar or similar , before you go out in the cold, get the back of a knife and press grooves in at bite size distances, then when it freezes it will snap off easily even with a gloved hand to give a handy mouthful that you can suck until it is soft enough to chew.

Great tip!
 Timmd 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:Fruitcake is pretty good, it doesn't seem to freeze like other foods can.
 Joak 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: Nutella sarnies main course, Turkish Delights, Bounty bars for afters, washed down with a vintage Vimto fruit juice decanted from a neoprene jacketed sigg bottle, shaken not stirred to loosen up the slush has always served me well.
 Jim Fraser 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

Wispa.
 Bimble 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

Pork pie and a block of cheddar. All your hill nutritional needs met (probably) and won't go slushy.
rabarton 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: Wisper bars don't freeze solid !
 Milesy 14 Jan 2013
Snickers bars. Totally soft and edible.
 Ramblin dave 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:
Cereal bars and malt loaf normally seem to be good. And cheese and chutney sangers if you want something more like a proper lunch.
 happy_c 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: Beef jerky! taste better frozen!
 Rich W Parker 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

Chunks of chorizo in one pocket, dried fruit in the other.
 martinph78 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: Good old fashioned trail mix works well (mixed nuts and rasins) and packs quite a calorie punch (a lot of which is good fats so avalable quickly). Never had those freeze!

Soreen Malt loaf did well yesterday also.

Simon Caldwell 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:
Christmas cake. The higher the alcohol content, the less it freezes
 drsdave 14 Jan 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:
top food, try this
staffordshire oat cake with hazel nut chocolate spread and slices of banana.
Also dates, the posh ones or fruit cake its just really effective energy release and will out perform energy bars as far as i can tell. and cheaper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...