UKC

Winter Bothy and Munro Walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevieb 15 Jan 2018

Hi

I'm looking for inspiration for a two day Scottish winter trip. We're travelling up from the Midlands, so looking for somewhere in the Southern Highlands or Southern Cairngorms. Ideally it would be taking in a few Munros and staying overnight on the hill.

My friend's suggestion is over Beinn a Ghlo to the Tarf Hotel which looks great, but also looks like about 16 miles, which could be very condition dependent.  

So, any suggestions?

thanks

Gawyllie 15 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Ben Alder Cottage and an ascent of Ben Alder and the one beside it could be an option. the approach from the South is fine until the end of Loch Ericht where It is boggy in summer from what I remember. if the ground is frozen it would make life a lot easier. 

Also possible to come in from Corrour (Via Rannoch Station although this would involve more distance albeit with a path the whole way (or over a couple of munros)

In reply to stevieb:

Ditto Gawyllie, if the loch is low it may be possible to get along the shore and avoid the bogs (which are pretty bad) fantastic bothy though we didn't meet the resident spook! Having said that Beinn a Ghlo is a wonderful hill though haven't stayed at Tarf.

The Hutchinson hut has been restored (I seem to remember!) so you could get up into the Cairngorms from the south

Have fun!

Removed User 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Gawyllie:

> Ben Alder Cottage and an ascent of Ben Alder and the one beside it could be an option. the approach from the South is fine until the end of Loch Ericht where It is boggy in summer from what I remember. if the ground is frozen it would make life a lot easier. 

> The route from the Rannoch Station road is fine. Did it a couple of years back.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...

In reply to Gawyllie:

> Ben Alder Cottage and an ascent of Ben Alder and the one beside it could be an option. the approach from the South is fine until the end of Loch Ericht where It is boggy in summer from what I remember. if the ground is frozen it would make life a lot easier. 

another vote for this- did it back in  october. 2 nights in bothy, what a great location. short leachas is a really good way up too, i think it would be fantastic with a bit of snow on it, classic grade I territory. 

just remember though, you're not back at the car until your actually at it... tripping on the forestry road 200m before you reach it and breaking your fall with your head does smart a bit and spoils the planned evening in the pub...!

Ramblin dave 15 Jan 2018
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

> The Hutchinson hut has been restored (I seem to remember!) so you could get up into the Cairngorms from the south

Yep, this is also a good option, particularly if you're after a one-nighter. Walk in to the Hutchie from the South one day and back the next, taking in your choice of hills in either direction depending on how fast you're moving.

It's small, though, so be prepared to camp if you get there and it's packed.

OP stevieb 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Gawyllie: and all

thanks. The Ben alder cottage option looks brilliant, I’m definitely considering, but maybe better suited to a two night stay? 

Leachas ridges and lancet edges are very tempting. 

PPP 15 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

I wouldn't want to walk in to Ben Alder, no way! I have been up there twice and it's a long walk, especially with the last part being a bit boggy. You could cycle in from North, though. Tarf Hotel is awesome, but it's a rough walk-in with winter gear. 

Allt Scheicheachan would be my vote. Easy walk-in and few Munros around. 

Alternatively, I am going to throw in Coire Fionnoraich. Surely, it's a 1.5 hour (or 100 miles) longer drive, but the walk in is just over 30 minutes and if you are carrying loads of fuel, you might even save up time. There might be other options with shorter walk-ins, surely. 

Phil1919 15 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Travel by train at least from Glasgow and stay at Loch Ossian. Its a hostel not a bothy but you will have a good time.

Phil1919 15 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Tarf hotel will be very cold and it is a long way to carry in a lot of stuff.

PPP 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

That's a good shout. With the remoteness of it (no phone coverage either?) and the toilets being outside, it feels just like a fancy bothy.  I stayed there for a night (looked a bit too grim to pitch a tent, so went for some luxury) and didn't regret doing so. 

Dave the Rave 15 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

The bothy up by Loch Callater lodge was good and an easy hour on a track. Surrounded my Munros. Lochnagar and it’s other Munros can be done from here. 

OP stevieb 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Thanks, I’d seen this one, apart from the lack of a fireplace it looked good. Are the munros around it decent (I know lochnagar is) ? Lots of the glenshee Munro’s get a bad rep. 

OP stevieb 15 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

Thanks, allt Scheicheachan could be the less extreme option from Blair Atholl 

skog 15 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

What about Gorton Bothy (near Bridge of Orchy), coupled with an ascent of Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair?

Dave the Rave 15 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Depends what you want from a Munro. I quite like the Mounth. A nice remote feeling from this side and the walk up to Sagairt Mor is pleasant. A fairly straightforward walk to Lochnagar in clear conditions. These ones are quite dry underfoot with lots of wildlife. Lichnagar has good mountain scenery but perhaps not best seen from this approach.

OP stevieb 16 Jan 2018
In reply to skog:

> What about Gorton Bothy (near Bridge of Orchy), coupled with an ascent of Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair?

Thanks, I'd seen this bothy, but wasn't sure how easy it was to combine with the mountains  

skog 16 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

It's easy enough to get under the railway and up Beinn a'Chreachain from the bothy; with a bit of care, it's fine to descend West from the col a little South of the summit of Beinn Achaladair (assuming snow/avalanche conditions are OK for it). So if you're fine walking out carrying your kit, it's easy enough.

You can also descend the ridge West of Coire an Lochain on Beinn a'Chreachain, if you prefer to backtrack and go back down to the bothy.

IanMcC 16 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb: don' forget Culra bothy north of Ben alder is gone!! Alder cottage to South grand spot 

skog 16 Jan 2018
In reply to IanMcC:

Can't see that without fisbok, Ian!

OP stevieb 16 Jan 2018

yes thanks, knew culra was closed, didn’t know it was gone though 

IanMcC 16 Jan 2018
In reply to skog:

It's a photo, apparently genuine, of a pentagram painted on the floor at Gorton.

OP stevieb 22 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Hi

Thanks for all the answers on this, lots of good options.

Does anyone have up to date information on the conditions in the southern highlands/cairngorms? Sounds like the west coast got loads of snow? The plan is for this weekend. I'm watching MWIS etc., but would be good to have the ground conditions, as well as the weather

In reply to stevieb:

Afraid not (am in north west). The met office mountain forecast now a good compliment to MWIS and SAIS website will provide some hint of snow conditions though I expect you are already aware of this. Have a good trip!

Pids 22 Jan 2018
In reply to stevieb:

South Western highlands got blootered with snow all weekend, however high temps now mean big thaw on  - no sure how it will affect things higher up although suspect any rivers / burns will be in spate so any crossings will be interesting.

OP stevieb 22 Jan 2018

Thanks both. Yes I’ve used SAIS before. I was aware of increased avalanche risk but hadn’t really thought about river crossing 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...