/ A Summer of Trad: Sound People Required

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

I'm well aware it's early days, but given how shite this winter has been, perhaps summer will arrive sooner than we think (or at least, climbable days)...

Driven by disappointment at my lack of climbing the past couple years, I've decided to pack in my job and max out my summer climbing trad. I'll be in need of partners who can commit ideally to several days/weeks of climbing at a time.

I hope to have the prerequisites for Mountain Guide scheme by the end of summer, so I'm mostly interested in VS + multipitch climbs: I'm thinking Lakes, Cornwall, Scotland and Wales. I'm fairly solid at VS and would ask that of you, too. Happy to follow you up to E3/4 and indulge your ambitions. I'm chilled, 25, a nurse, have climbed for around 10 years and trad for 2.

Glasgow is my home base and I have a small van, that I will reluctantly share if required and a good tent if not. I will return sporadically to Scotland for agency work and relationship repairs, but essentially I'm free all summer.

If there is any one out there on my page, give me a message and we can talk plans in the the near future.

Post edited at 22:33
jameswolff 00:00 Thu
In reply to sharpendclimbing:

PMd

Bobling 00:05 Thu

The down votes, why?  Good luck to you and hope you have a great summer!

Si Witcher 11:13 Thu
In reply to Bobling:

> The down votes, why?  

Meeting the summer uk rock pre-requisites for the guide scheme by the end of this summer sounds like a push, if you've only been trad leading for 2 years, around VS. The scheme requires at least 5 years of uk trad leading experience, including 50 E1s and recommended to include some E3s at least, so that you can be solid at mp E1 in poor conditions. You'll be working in the right direction but realistically you won't be ready to meet the minimum standard for a few more years at the earliest.

OliverR17 15:49 Thu

I'd be very interested in this sort of thing. I'm planning on getting to Pembroke, Swanage, Lakes and N Wales over summer -  have friends joining here and there but I'm sure we could work something out. I'd also love a significant overseas trip; Lofoten or Dollies depending who I can bully, or possibly some mountaineering in the Dachstein. Logbook up to date - currently sport climbing is my focus however will be moving back into trad once I'm back into the swing of rock.

Geoff82 16:04 Thu

Pm’d you

In reply to Si Witcher:

I must have read something different. I'll check back on that. I'm not going for IFMGA, if that's what you meant?

jezb1 16:30 Thu

> I must have read something different. I'll check back on that. I'm not going for IFMGA, if that's what you meant?

Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor scheme I assume.

VS / 6a are the bare minimum grades, but absolutely cruising these so aim for some grades in hand.

Have fun!

In reply to jezb1:

That's right. I guess guides don't like their reputation being diluted any more than nurses do.

I shall endeavour!

daleholding 08:37 Fri

I am keen to explore climbing trad in more remote areas of Scotland which could fit in with your plans. I generally climb up to E3 but with going part time I have been climbing a lot more over the last year so might be keen to try a few things a bit harder (I've been climbing consistently for 27 years) I am very keen to check out Glen Pean after seeing Dave Maccleods last film. I live in yorkshire, I have 3 day weekends and teacher holidays. I break up 20th July , through to 3rd Sept. Could be keen to go for an explore during the winter months. Would love to do some new routes!

Ted44 09:40 Fri

Hi "Sharpend".   I have climbed trad for 20 years - to a fairly low standard. however, I have a lot of experience - Alps, ice in Norway etc and a van.  I would be interested in climbing in Lakes or N. Wales.  Ted.   

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.