UKC

/ Avon Gorge challenge/favour

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
L Redland_Ron - on 14 Apr 2018

Hi

This is a somewhat unusual (and perhaps unreasonable?) request. Those who know the Avon Gorge area will know that there's a steel railing and brick/stone wall that runs along the river on the A4. At the red light where Bridge Valley Road meets the A4 (very near the bridge), I dropped my mobile phone over the edge while taking a photo :-/ The phone is in a narrow grassy area on the bank of the river bed by the wall (it's about a 20 foot drop). 

I then saw some climbers further down and asked a couple of them if it would be possible for a climber to let themselves down and grab my phone. They said yes, but neither of them had a harness, and I was feeling fairly sheepish about asking others to break their routines to go 3/4 mile down the road to help me. 

If there are any Bristol climbers out there who think they could help with this, please let me know. The phone holds a charge for quite a long time, so if this is done soon, being able to call it will help to locate it. Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and spring for a new phone. (Of course it's not just the cost that's at issue, but the photos and other data that's on the phone.)

Thanks

Fakey Rocks - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Redland_Ron:

What number can it b phoned on? U can txt me it via another number? Or post it here, but don't email, they take ages ..

Euan Todd on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Redland_Ron:

Emailed you.

Rob Morgan on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Redland_Ron:

I could help you and live close by, but might have to go Sunday morning unless you are there now.

L Redland_Ron - on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Thanks, Fakey - I connected with Euan on this before I saw your message.

L Redland_Ron - on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Redland_Ron:

Just to note that my phone was recovered! Big thanks to Rob, who sloshed through the mud this morning and finally saw the corner of the phone sticking out of that mud. Also a big thanks to Euan for going down last night, when high tide made it pretty difficult to see anything. I'm hoping that being lodged in the mud might have actually kept the phone from becoming overly waterlogged - we'll see if it comes to life after a couple days of drying.

Fakey Rocks - on 15:18 Thu
In reply to Redland_Ron:

Could have been there 615 pm day u lost it b4 tide got it had u posted the number/ texted me. hope it will work!

Post edited at 15:19
Bobling - on 21:30 Thu
In reply to Redland_Ron:

Ahhh, what a nice story!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.