UKC

Cuillin Ridge and/or Skye-Highlands trail running partners June 4-7

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Looking to find a partner(s) to attempt some or all of the Cuillin Ridge on Skye between June 4-7th if there is a good weather window. I would also be interested in trail running through Skye and the highlands as an alternative with some minor scrambling as a less committing option. Comfortable scrambling up to low class 5, comfortable leading, and happy to discuss experience in more detail. Hoping to meet great new people! 30-something y-o from the U.S. (Cannot link up with other user who posted similar topic)

morpcat 03 May 2022
In reply to elleonthetrails:

(as posted in the similar thread) I might be free on the Saturday or Sunday if the weather window lines up and if I can sort out a hall pass. Can confirm closer to the time if you haven't lined another meet up by then. I have some experience of the ridge including a one day traverse, so hopefully I can be of assistance! 

In reply to morpcat:

Thanks for reaching out! I will stay in touch. It would be helpful and fun to have someone more local along. Do you know of any public transportation options to that area? It seems like the only way is by rental car from the research I've done. Thanks again.

morpcat 05 May 2022

> Do you know of any public transportation options to that area? It seems like the only way is by rental car from the research I've done.

There's some advice about getting to the Scottish hills using public transport in this thread: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/hill_talk/walking_trip_to_scotland_-_without_a_car-746234

However, for Skye in particular I think you'd really struggle to get the most out of your trip without access to a car. Access into the Cuillins is usually via Glen Brittle and there aren't transport links there. Getting around in general would be much more restricted and slow without a car. Maybe some of the folks on that thread might have better suggestions though.

Hitchhiking is always an options for getting around (e.g. Glen Brittle to Sligachan or vice versa) but it may be harder to get lifts post-covid. That said, I've both received and provided  one lift since then. Of course, you need to make your own evaluation of personal safety especially if you are alone. 

If you end up with some days where you can't do the full ridge (either because of weather, time, or energy), two recommendations:

1. Do a loop from glen brittle up through coire a ghrunnda and back down from next to the Inn Pinn.

2. Start from Coruisk via the Dubh slabs and ridge and either go back to Glen Brittle via coire a ghrunnda or carry on along the main ridge. A bit tricky to organize logistically but a great way to an alternative angle of the Cuillins.

Post edited at 22:42
 Ailsa Main 06 May 2022

Hey! I would be keen to join you if you do indeed get the weather window. 
I had a failed attempt earlier this year - backing off at am Bastier 

I’ll send you an email with my details 

In reply to morpcat:

Thank you so much for sharing all of this! I will likely just pay for the rental given all of the logistics. This is a huge help. I was able to find a partner - I think the other climber is still looking for one, but feel free to still reach out if that doesn’t work out.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...