/ Finding climbing partners in the peaks (visitor)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
leona on 07 May 2019

hi, I'm visiting from NZ in June and decided the peaks is where I want to go. Ive been told i can just rent a bouldering pad and go it alone and while that is totally fine, it would obviously be much nicer to go with other people. Also I'd be keen to do some trad if I could. Haven't been able to find anywhere to post this specific to the area so be keen for suggestions if theres something I've missed? thanks

deacondeacon - on 07 May 2019
In reply to leona:

Are you on Facebook? If so search out a group called 'psyched for the peak'. Or just put a post up on ukc a few days before the dates you want to climb  

tjdodd - on 07 May 2019
In reply to deacondeacon:

Also facebook pages

Peak District Climbing Partners

Peak District Trad Climbing

leona on 07 May 2019

oh thats great! thanks both of you

Rocknast - on 07 May 2019
In reply to leona:

Hi. Do u have trad gear? I am based in the Peak District if you ever need a climbing partner when u visit let me know as I can easily get there on weekends and weekday evenings..

Jamie

leona on 08 May 2019
In reply to Rocknast:

thanks. nope, not led trad yet, only seconded or led with gear already in. I'd only be able to bring my harness and shoes anyway. I'm keen to boulder also.

tjdodd - on 08 May 2019
In reply to leona:

In terms of bouldering, the best thing is to buy one of the bouldering guides

Peak Bouldering

Peak District Bouldering

On a nice day there will usually be people around the main spots and they are a friendly bunch that you will soon get talking to.  Stanage Plantation, Burbage South, Burbage North are all popular and good starting points.  Lots of other popular spots as well.  Where are you basing yourself and will you have your own transport?

If you are near Sheffield then I suggest going to the Climbing Works on a wet day.  You are likely to meet people there to climb outdoors with (again a friendly bunch).  It is also a good place to hire a pad from.

leona on 09 May 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

thanks, yeah planning to hire a car, i downloaded rockfax and got a pack from that for most of the areas you mentioned as thats where I was told I should go if I end up on my own. Haven't decided where to stay yet, any suggestions (town wise?).

Feel quite reassured at all the replies ive had that ill find people. Been quite hard visiting other places and getting no response! always nice to climb with people that know the areas.

tjdodd - on 10 May 2019
In reply to leona:

If you stay in the west of Sheffield then you have easy access to the east side of the Peak District (and most of the rest of the Peak is within an hours drive).  You then have the option of the Climbing Works or Depot for indoor bouldering if the weather is bad.  And also the benefits of any big city.

In terms of within the Peak then Hathersage (large village) would probably be hard to beat.  Pretty central to a lot of good bouldering/climbing (trad very close and sport on the limestone is pretty close).  Nice amenities and good outdoor shops.  Some nice hotels/pubs with rooms as well.  Also campsites nearby if you want to go camping.  Hope and Castleton also nearby could be worth staying in if cheaper.

Bakewell is more of a proper town, very touristy so can get annoying during the day but very picturesque.  Lots of amenities.  Perhaps a little further from most of the bouldering/climbing but closer to some other spots like the Roaches, Cratcliffe, Robin Hood's Stride and the more southern crags.

I think if it was me then I would go for Hathersage as it will have everything you need, still close to Sheffield, central and close to a lot of classic climbing areas.

Some info on where to stay in Hathersage on this thread

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/lifts+partners/recommend_me_accommodation_in_hathersage-702485?v=1#x8971775

YHA (youth hostel) in Hathersage, Castleton and Eyam worth look at - but get booking as quickly as you can.  Note YHA is not just for loud youths and likely to have a mix of accommodation available.

Hope that helps.

leona on 12 May 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

thats really great thanks also delighted to know theres sport climbing as id got the impression it was trad everywhere! 

tjdodd - on 12 May 2019
leona on 12 May 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

so the sport is pretty hard then! I'd heard that for other areas that there was sport but it was all hard  

tjdodd - on 13 May 2019
In reply to leona:

I'm no expert but I think there is a pretty good range of sport grades in the peak.  Plenty of 5-6A to have a go at in the manageable grades.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.