UKC

/ Guinea Pig Looking for MIA Trainee in the Lakes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Soulchaser01 on 09 May 2018

Friend and I are looking for someone to take us climbing in the Lakes. If you are an MIA trainee perhaps we can help each other out.

Both in our 30s. My mate has not climbed a lot, basically a beginner outside.

I've climbed a fair amount inside and have led about 50 sport routes outside, up to 6c (though I'm probably a 6a+ climber most days at the moment). I have led pitches on multi-pitch sport routes and would love to get confident doing more of that. I'm keen to climb trad.

I have led a handful of easy trad routes and have set up belays etc (years ago I did the SPA training, which was stupid because I'd barely climbed outdoors). I'm quite keen, I've also done the MLA training and would be happy to help with practicing rescue etc providing I learn something along the way

We're both easy going, fit enough for most things, happy to wild camp, and have enough gear for sport climbing, but no trad rack yet.

GrahamUney - on 09 May 2018
In reply to Soulchaser01:

You could always hire a fully qualified MIA/MIC instead. That way you know you are getting good advice from someone who has actually been assessed, and passed at the high standard that is required.

A trainee is just that. They've done the training course, but that doesn't mean they are competent to instruct.

There are a lot of fully qualified MIAs and MICs is the Lakes. Look for one who is a full AMI member. You can find one here: http://www.mountain-training.org/associations/ami 

Hope that helps.

Soulchaser01 on 09 May 2018
In reply to GrahamUney:

This is good advice but I am confident that I'm experienced enough to know when something is safe or not. I've also enjoyed helping out trainees in the past and as someone who will probably be a trainee at some point myself I like to think I'm building some good karma points for when I need my own guinea pigs!

GrahamUney - on 09 May 2018

Fair dos. 

Harry Ellis - on 09 May 2018

Hi there,

I have PM'd you

Harry

GavClayton on 10 May 2018

Not doing MIA, but happy to meet up and climb. Are you lakes based or travelling here? I am free some evenings, some weekends and school holidays. Langdale is easiest for me. When are you available?

cheers,

Gav

Soulchaser01 on 11 May 2018
In reply to GavClayton:

Hi Gav. Neither of us are based in the Lakes. I'm in Edinburgh and my mate's in Lincolnshire. So it'd be the occasional weekend I think.

GavClayton on 12 May 2018

No Worries, let me know when you have a weekend date you want to do and we can get some routes in.

Thanks

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.