/ Heading to Scotland on Sunday.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Foxy99 - on 14 Mar 2019

Going to head up to Scotland on Sunday, if anyone fancies it. I will be driving up from Ipswich, so I can possibly pick up on route if needed. I will be staying until Friday possibly Saturday. 

Im not overly experienced but I’m keen to get out, either QMD’s or climbing. I’ve seconded up to Scottish IV 4 and WI4. 

If anyone is interested in joining me or doesn’t mind me joining them, drop me a message. 

Cheers, 

Sean

subtle on 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Foxy99:

Take care out there next week, who knows what the weather and conditions will be like, just take care.

Foxy99 - on 14 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Cheers, I will definitely be careful. With all the incidents that have made the news this season I won’t be taking any risks, i’ll be keeping a close eye on the weather and avalanche forecasts. 

Rigid Raider - on 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Foxy99:

It's sufficient to be aware of the conditions that lead to avalanches. Dissimilar layers of snow, or layers separated by ice. Wind-blown snow that has accumulated anywhere after fresh falls especially lee slopes and cornices. Heavy wet snow especially on grass.

Generally if it's been there for a few days, looks transformed and hasn't moved it's likely to be more stable but transformation happens more slowly in cold dry weather.  Have a plan B in mind and have the humility to admit that today's not the day for plan A.

planetmarshall on 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> It's sufficient to be aware of the conditions that lead to avalanches.

It's necessary, but it isn't sufficient.

Foxy99 - on 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Sound advice, thank you. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.