/ I want to improve

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Schmalex - on 22 Jan 2019

Hello All,

I am messaging because I'd like to progress my climbing. Currently, I am comfortable going outdoors for single-pitch sport climbing & I can confidently lead belay. My usual lead level is a 4+/5 (please don't judge!). I have practiced building some belay anchors with trad gear at ground level, but progress is slow because I'm teaching myself.

My goal is to fully transition into trad climbing, and gain a new climbing partner.

I imagine if I offer to belay for a trad climber, they'd be amenable to teach me what they know... So, any takers?

Cheers,

Alex

L.A. on 22 Jan 2019
In reply to Schmalex: Itd help if you fill in your profile and say where you're based/want to climb

Post edited at 16:28
PaulJepson - on 22 Jan 2019
In reply to Schmalex:

Join your nearest/most active climbing/mountaineering club. You'll meet other people and while they won't necessarily let you belay them immediately while they're at their limit, you could learn a lot (climb as a 3, belay people who are comfortable on easy ground, second lots, etc.). You'll find like-minded people and climbing partners. 

Climb with people both your level and a couple of grades above, if you can. And keep climbing sport and bouldering. Technical progress will be a lot slower if you just stick to trad. I like to do about 50/50 sport and trad because you're relatively safe on sport and can push your grade a lot more. Moving through the grades doing purely trad is a pretty big psychological ask (at least for me it would be). If you're climbing harder on safer sport, you know you can do the moves to push it to the next grade on gear. 

Lornajkelly - on 23 Jan 2019
In reply to Schmalex:

Nobody is entitled to judge anybody on grade.  Everybody started somewhere.

Where are you based and where do you predominately climb?  I'm in the market for outdoor partners but I'm currently based in Yorkshire and often climb in the Peak District

Schmalex - on 11 Feb 2019

Hi everyone

I'm based in Oxfordshire (it's pretty flat round here), but I have driven to the peak district, lake district, kent, and Font (Fr) for outdoor climbing, with various mates that are dotted about. Basically I'm happy to drive places, but it's quite far then I will probably prefer to not make the journey often, but stay for two/three days or so.

All of the above suggestions from everyone are great, so thanks all! Lorna - if you would like the opportunity to gain another climbing partner (in return for teaching me some trad) please message me. Or if not, then no worries.

Cheers,

Alex

Post edited at 16:06

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.