UKC

/ Ldn - Climbing partner(s) wanted, theres a twist!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
L Fosurreal - on 31 Jan 2018

Hello everyone,

My name is Alex, and I'm looking for a climbing partner(s). I've been climbing for nearly 2 years now, and I'm loving it. I climb at the Castle Climbing Centre, near Manor House, north London. Ok, so now here comes the interesting bit....... as well as being charming, funny, handsome (the list goes on....), I'm also visually impaired, and have around 50% vision. Climbing has been a brilliant addition to my life, and it would be great to meet some new people, and make new friends through climbing. ........So if you're up for a climbing experience with a difference, it would be good to hear from you. And feel free to ask me anything you like.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

pjcollinson - on 01 Feb 2018
In reply to Fosurreal:

Good luck with this Alex, hope you can find some suitable partners. 

L Fosurreal - on 01 Feb 2018
In reply to pjcollinson:

Thanks

Climbspanna on 02 Feb 2018
In reply to Fosurreal:

Have sent you a DM. 

L Fosurreal - on 04 Feb 2018
In reply to Climbspanna:

Hello, thanks for the message. I tried to email you back but the site wouldn't let me. Let me know how I can get in touch. And sorry about the 'thumbs down', I hit the wrong button.

Wildabeast - on 04 Feb 2018
In reply to Fosurreal:

Hey, there’s a group of us who Climb westway regularly. Also do lots of outside stuff, various abilities, don’t take life too seriously. Happy to climb with new people. 

L Fosurreal - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Wildabeast:

Thanks man, it's much appreciated. Is that the Westway near kensington? Plus I would definitely like to do some outdoor stuff, although I haven't learned to lead climb yet.

Wildabeast - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Fosurreal:

no, its Notting Hill end of West London.  Easy to get to if you are on a tube line. 

slab_happy on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Wildabeast:

> no, its Notting Hill end of West London. 

Yeah, that is in Kensington.

Wildabeast - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to slab_happy:

read quickly as Kingston. Yes its in North Kensington.

GavClayton on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Fosurreal: Hi Alex, Are you purely wall based or do you have any ambitions to climb outside? Myself and some friends are hoping to plan an inclusive charity outdoors event next year in the lakes, and my preferred option is aclimbing weekend including valley camping, with live music and beer tent, and tailored solutions for crag access issues. Hopefully this would tick your climbing and meeting new people boxes! I would be interested to find more out about your specific challenges when climbing with partial sight and whether our concept would be something that would encourage you to want to try climbing outdoors with some support.

many thanks,

Gavin

L Fosurreal - on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to GavClayton:

Hello Gavin,

Thanks for getting in touch. Your event sounds awesome, sign me up! I haven't done any outdoor climbing, but I'd love to give it a try.

As far as the challenges I experience when climbing......When I'm climbing a route I require someone to talk me through the route as I'm climbing, i.e. tell me where the holds are, and sometimes to describe the sort of move I could make, etc. If I'm climbing freestyle on any holds, then I don't need any extra help really.

Feel free to ask me anything else you'd like to know.

GavClayton on 12:18 Wed
In reply to Fosurreal:

Thanks for the info Alex, 

The area we are thinking of is a quiet valley with options for either single or multi pitch climbing, but for simplicity and to maximise the time it will have to be single pitch. If you would be happy bottom-roping at your chosen grade, as part of a mixed ability group, I would have a leader abseil down alongside you and steer you verbally up the route whilst you were belayed by the group below. 

I’ll pencil you in as participant number one and hopefully we’ll get this off the ground for next year. 

Thanks againn, and I’ll be in touch with further info as our project develops.

Gavin

L Fosurreal - on 22:38 Fri
In reply to GavClayton:

Great, sounds good, keep me posted.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.