UKC

/ Rjukan question

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
drsdave - on 10 Jan 2018
When in Rjukan do you need a car to get about to the various climbs or is it easy enough to walk in? What are people advice and experience please?
Fiskavaig on 10 Jan 2018
In reply to drsdave:

Depends where your based, but if in the village, you can walk to the Gorge area easy enough, Kroken, could walk but bit of a slog, car is much easier. Ossimossis, car. and anywhere else, car.
bluerockman - on 10 Jan 2018
In reply to drsdave:

We had a car when we visited and it made everything much simpler. We picked up a car from Europcar at the airport and fuel wasn’t too dear ( for Norway)
Pay Attention - on 11 Jan 2018
In reply to drsdave:

A car was essential on my 3 trips to Rjukan.  A car makes it easy to get to the climbs from where you're staying.  You have much more choice of areas and routes. Transporting your equipment and going shopping for food etc is convenient.

i suppose it's possible to do Rjukan without a car but I wouldn't do it.

Pay Attention - on 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Pay Attention:

i found it best to put together a group of 8 to car share.  2 cars worked well for the trip to an outlying area.  I think we went to Kong Area ( and had a bit of an epic..) 

if we had stayed in the central area we would have had problems finding enough to do. It was a warm year.  When we left Rjukan the thaw was in and there was a stream running along the main road.  The locals were saying they'd never seen winter end so early.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.