/ starting out in winter

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
tonyg9241 - on 06 Feb 2019

Hello all I am looking to start some winter climbing I have all the basic kit crampons ice axes etc can any one help to get me started 

many thanks

Tony

Blair2904 on 07 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

Hi Tony, I am too starting out winter climbing. This is my first season so trying to build up my experience which it tricky when not got a partner to get out with on a regular basis. Feel free to get in touch and we can sort something out and get out this winter. I am still pretty new to it but have loads of rock climbing experience and really keen to get out more.

ena sharples - on 07 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

if your budget allows, take a course in winter climbing/mountaineering. Avoids getting into bad habits from the off and you should learn a lot just by watching the professionals in action.

tonyg9241 - on 08 Feb 2019
In reply to ena sharples:

hi thank you I have looked in it but just out of my budget unless there are some last minute places going cheep 

Tony

Rigid Raider - on 08 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

Glenmore Lodge.

ena sharples - on 08 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

Think that is unlikely, sadly. Perhaps if you and a mate could hire a guide for a day or two that would go a long way to covering the basics? (Ice axe self arrest, moving on steep ground in crampons etc)

pasbury on 08 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

You don’t have to do a course or pay any money to anyone to go up mountains in winter. But it is a potentially dangerous activity so judge your ability before going out. I can’t tell you if you’re ready or not.

If you think you’re not ready to go out on your own then, to avoid spending, find more experienced people through a club, social network or on this site.

Babika - on 09 Feb 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Sound advice. 

Newbies in our Club borrow gear and have a go on simple winter expeditions in the safe hands of other club members. They can then usually decide for themselves whether it's something they want to invest more money in.

GavClayton on 09 Feb 2019
Mark Haward - on 09 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

As others have said, joining a local club may work for you. 

Personally I was largely self taught. I already had several years of walking and scrambling / climbing in summer and winter walking experience. I went ice bouldering and practiced on easy to access routes in good condition in areas I was familiar with. This included time spent on routes with short sections of more difficult terrain followed by easier sections. I built up my skills, confidence and knowledge by getting out as much as possible either by myself or with mates when available. However, this all comes with the caveat of learning gradually, being self aware and aware of potential hazards and risks. I have no idea of your personal mountain skills / experience  ( for example navigation ) so I don't know if this is a suitable pathway for you.

tonyg9241 - on 09 Feb 2019
In reply to Mark Haward:

hi all many thanks for your advice I do have some experience in the mountains mostly Wales in the summer with some bad vis my map reading skills are very good this something I like to keep on top. I have been thinking of join a club but its finding one that I may like and has some club huts once again many thanks for all of your advice on this 

Tony

Mark Haward - on 09 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

If you are a BMC member or member of a BMC affiliated club you get access to loads of huts.

zetamgr - on 09 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

Have sent you a more detailed email message. Could be up for a something in March. I can lead around grade III (had done IV but out of practise and want to get back into it)

zetamgr - on 09 Feb 2019
In reply to Blair2904:

Have sent you a more detailed email message. Could be up for a something in March. I can lead around grade III (had done IV but out of practise and want to get back into it)

AimHigh on 11 Feb 2019
In reply to tonyg9241:

There is a rich selection of Winter Skills videos available on-line from the BMC which might prove informative.  Four series of same beginning with winter walking and choosing boots and crampons all the way up to climbing steep ice all made in collaboration with the Association of Mountaineering Instructors.  Go to https://www.youtube.com/teamBMCTV and scroll down to the section 'Skills: Walking and climbing in winter.'

Post edited at 08:49
tonyg9241 - on 11:23 Tue
In reply to AimHigh:

many thanks have been watching them 

Tony

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.