/ Survey: How do you guys find climbing partners?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
alexm198 10 Oct 2019

Hello fine folk of UKC! 

Have you ever had a hard time finding reliable climbing partners? Me too. So much so, in fact, that me and a friend have started working on an app to help pair like-minded climbers up for their projects/trips/expeditions. It's a bit like a dating app, but if you play your cards right, rather than dinner or a movie, you just get to swap beta, listen to each other powerscream, or spoon in a tiny, damp tent. Cool, right?

Anyway. We're doing some research around our user base and how climbers currently find partners. If you could spare 5 minutes to fill in our survey, we'd be super grateful!

https://claratphiri.typeform.com/to/ISwn7V

Thanks!

Alex

Jon Stewart 10 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

I thought that survey worked really well and was extremely easy to complete. Good work!

planetmarshall 10 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

Climbr?

alexm198 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks Jon!

alexm198 10 Oct 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

Embarrassingly close to the name we’re currently thinking about...

Andy Hardy 11 Oct 2019

At the risk of creating more subdivisions:

tradr bouldr and sprt?

Graeme Hammond 11 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

Unless you can get a significant user base to start using the app quickly it is unlikely to be worth the effort of developing as without the numbers you are unlikely to find a match and if you are unlikely to find a match people aren't going to bother. 

alexm198 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Really good point and something we've been thinking about. Haven't come up with an entirely satisfactory solution but it's early days.

Once we've done our research we're planning on putting together some designs and wireframes and then testing these. We'll only get stuck into the development after that if it's worth our while, but to be honest this is sort of a labour of love for me, not my retirement plan.

ChrisClark1 11 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

This concept is something I've been itching for, for a while. If I travel to a new area where I know no partners, it would be pretty handy. Best of luck guys.

planetmarshall 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> At the risk of creating more subdivisions:

> tradr bouldr and sprt?

Sprt is probably already an app, but for something else.

planetmarshall 11 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

Actually on a serious point - you might consider the wording on the title of your post - 'Survey: How do you guys find climbing partners?' And go for something gender neutral. Normally I don't make an issue of this kind of thing but I've been reading 'Invisible Women' lately and examples of what the author calls assuming the 'default male' have started to jump out at me everywhere...

alexm198 11 Oct 2019

Cool, that's sound advice. I use guys in a gender neutral way all the time, but I appreciate that as a term it's definitely gendered. Thanks for calling me out (genuinely)!

Pyreneenemec 11 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

It's hard to believe, but I found my first 'casual climbing partner' on the internet in 1999 ! It was via a site called Alpinisme.com. It's still going :

http://www.alpinisme.com/FR/petites-annonces/index.php?fic=cordee&selection=pa2

We did the 'Royal Traverse on M.Blanc'. All done  with the exchange of a few e-mails and a chat on the phone. The year after we did the Pierre Alain 'a la Meije' ! 

Then there was the exercise book in the Maison de la Montagne in Chamonix..................................................

PS

Good survey  btw !

HB1 12 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

completed survey, but beyond that . . .

. . . I'm not a schoolboy, at uni, or working!

d_b 12 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

I have a multi stage process:

1. Find a concealed vantage point with a good view of a crag.

2. Observe with binoculars over a period of 2 months.

3. Compile list of regulars who arrive alone.

4. Reduce to short list using grade range, belay technique, "special criteria" etc.

5. Prepare secure climbing partner accommodation.

6. Obtain and process climbing partner in the appropriate manner.

marsbar 12 Oct 2019

On that subject as well, some sort of clear policy that anyone using the app to stalk, harass, send pervy messages or otherwise be creepy towards other users would make it more likely to be considered by female climbers.  

> Actually on a serious point - you might consider the wording on the title of your post - 'Survey: How do you guys find climbing partners?' And go for something gender neutral. Normally I don't make an issue of this kind of thing but I've been reading 'Invisible Women' lately and examples of what the author calls assuming the 'default male' have started to jump out at me everywhere...

two_tapirs 12 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

> Anyway. We're doing some research around our user base and how climbers currently find partners.

Reader, I married her!

Bob Kemp 12 Oct 2019

> Actually on a serious point - you might consider the wording on the title of your post - 'Survey: How do you guys find climbing partners?' And go for something gender neutral. Normally I don't make an issue of this kind of thing but I've been reading 'Invisible Women' lately and examples of what the author calls assuming the 'default male' have started to jump out at me everywhere...

'Guys' appears to becoming increasingly gender-neutral - you sometimes hear groups of women using it amongst themselves - but it's still contentious. Trouble is there isn't always a suitable alternative, depending on context. 'Folks' is a bit, er, folksy, 'people' is rather impersonal, and so on. 

I like climbing 12 Oct 2019
In reply to alexm198:

I did your survey. Are you aware of the climb buddy app ? The developer does post on here sometimes.

planetmarshall 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> 'Guys' appears to becoming increasingly gender-neutral - you sometimes hear groups of women using it amongst themselves - but it's still contentious.

The point that the author makes in 'Invisible Women' (which I highly recommend by the way) is that by using gendered nouns in a non-gendered way, you inject an unconscious bias into your data. For example, let's say we use "fireman" to refer to all firefighters, male or female. You then say to a child - "draw me a fireman", and the kid draws a male firefighter. Did they do that randomly? Because they think all firefighters are male? Or just because that was exactly what you asked?

Languages that have evolved along gendered lines can definitely make it difficult to avoid this kind of thing. I had to rewrite that last paragraph about three times to avoid referring to the gender of the child.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.