/ Who else is a solo vanlifer in the Peak / UK?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
L jakeubc on 13 May 2019

Hey guys,

Just started living in my van in the Peak. Are there any other solo vanlifers in the Peak or, failing that, the UK? Pretty keen to find some climbing partners who are in the same boat.

Cheers,

Jake

deacondeacon - on 13 May 2019
In reply to jakeubc:

Not me, but are you living on the Snake Pass at the minute? Pretty sure I've seen a van with a 'jake' private plate on there a few times. 

L jakeubc on 13 May 2019
In reply to deacondeacon:

Not me, no. Definitely not that flashy.

TobyA on 13 May 2019
In reply to jakeubc:

It was an issue that raised at the Stanage Users Forum last autumn. Obviously lots of the Hathersage locals are noticing the number of vans over nighting in laybys and car parks. Poo was mentioned as an issue.

If you live in the van, how long do you go without washing - or at least without showering?

atthedropofahat on 14 May 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I see no problem with vans overnighting in laybys, no problem with not showering for weeks. However if you choose to vanlife then you've got to deal with all your waste responsibly! Having just arrived back from the NW coast of Scotland it is also apparently a problem there and locals were complaining that tourers (van, car and motorbike) on the NC500 route keep shitting in laybys. It's easy to plan a trip with adequate toilet stops and keep a trowel and toilet paper bag for emergencies. It's also possible to get free showers at many service stations. You can dirtbag without inflicting it on others.

L jakeubc on 14 May 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Unsure of the connection between my search for climbing partners and your desire to know my personal washing habits.

The Jazz Butcher on 14 May 2019

Give the guy a break. He asks for partners with a similar lifestyle and gets accused of being unwashed and crapping everywhere from Hathersage to the NW coast of Scotland!

TobyA on 14 May 2019
In reply to jakeubc:

I was just wondering what it is like living in a van. I imagine quite cool in lots of ways, but tricky in others.

Then again your personal washing habits could be connected to the ease of finding climbing partners or not! ;-)

Rigid Raider - on 14 May 2019
In reply to jakeubc:

Damn, I tried just about everything else when I was a youthful climber but could never have afforded to live in a motor vehicle. Now I feel inadequate. 

McKEuan - on 14 May 2019
In reply to jakeubc:

Whenever I think of living in a van I always start thinking about boring logistical problems, perhaps you could clear some things up for me! (don't feel you have to i'm just curious, Things that require an address, phone, work, vehicle registration etc etc how do you get around that? I assume for washing clothes and boring stuff like that you use public facilities? I'm always interested in how people do it as, myself, I don't think i'd actually want or enjoy living in a van. Perhaps i'm boring but I do enjoy my sofa and tele at the end of the day.

Ramon Marin - on 14 May 2019
In reply to McKEuan:

I don't think you've made of van life stuff then ;-) ... you gotta do away with some comforts to get some others. The address issue you can get around by using your folks or a friend. The telly, easy, buy Kindle fire for £70 and download a shet load of Netflix in a free wifi cafe. Washing is sports centres, normally about a £1 or £2. Rivers and the Atlantic are also very good washing places. It's easier than you think really. We have a small Tetford portaloo in the van for when we don't have access to public toilets. For public toilets we prefer Tesco's. 

Somerset swede basher - on 14 May 2019
In reply to jakeubc:

Are you the guy in the big layby between ringinglow and burbage? I drove past this morning on the way to work and someone was having their morning cuppa in bed with a fantastic view across the Moor! 

marsbar - on 14 May 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I can easily have a full proper strip wash and wash my hair with a saucepan of hot water or less.  It's not impossible or even difficult to be clean without facilities.  

bouldery bits - on 14 May 2019
In reply to jakeubc:

Get a job!

:P

McKEuan - on 15 May 2019
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Ha! Ye you're probably right. Always interested to know how other people do stuff!

Gwain - on 15 May 2019
In reply to TobyA:

On a few trips away I have used a pop up toilet tent and a camping shower from decathlon (similar to a weed sprayer) I like a shower at the end of the day and this proved more than adequate. 

L jakeubc on 16 May 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Haha, very true.

L jakeubc on 16 May 2019
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Not me, no! I think I know which layby you mean though. I've seen a few more campers overnighting there since the weather's been warmer.

wintertree - on 16 May 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> If you live in the van, how long do you go without washing - or at least without showering?

Not living in a van, but swimming every day or two in a river or the sea is close to my idea of paradise.  In April to November anyway.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.