UKC

Gear taken from Wimberry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robin mueller 09 May 2022

Posting this for someone who isn't a UKC member, but asked for it to be shared here...

"Hello everybody. Yesterday someone stole my friends from Route 1 on the side of Appointment with Death at Wimberry Rocks. If you have some news please let's me know." Wimberry Rocks

Gear was " 6 friends black diamond

Purple, green, blue, grey, yellow, blue- 0.3, 0,4, 0.5, 2, 0.75, 3"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/807806935906404/permalink/5303318613021858/

Post edited at 15:29
 Connor Nunns 09 May 2022
In reply to robin mueller:

From the comments it doesn't look like these were stolen but abandoned in a route. A bit of rain is not a good excuse to litter a crag with hundreds of pounds worth of gear.

mrphilipoldham 09 May 2022

Left in overnight because it started raining, for anyone who can't be bothered clicking the link.

configureeight 09 May 2022
These cams were “found” in situ yesterday. There absolutely was no evidence that anyone was at the crag and retrieved safely. Thanks to UKClimbing for posting lost and found equipment.😀

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

He clearly doesn't get that this isn't a normal thing to do on a UK cliff because he uses the word "stolen". I guess most of us would see something left at a crag as abandoned (left on a route) or lost accidentally (something dropped on the floor). I really hope someone saw them and figured they had been left after an accident and collected them hoping to find the owner and return them. 

(edit: looks like from the post posted a minute after mine was originally that this was much the case!) 

Post edited at 16:04
 mrphilipoldham 09 May 2022
In reply to TobyA:

With English not being his first language I would be hesitant to bring up the use of the word 'stolen' as a problem, unlike with many of our own climbers who are adamant that stashed gear going missing is akin to a crime.. but yes, he clearly doesn't understand that it's not what we do here unless it's desperate, dangerous etc. Abbing at Wimberry in the rain is neither. I do hope he's reunited with them though, it'd do our post-Brexit relations the world of good  

Uncle Derek 09 May 2022

I foresee a thread stretching into the far and distant future (or when it gets archived) and people drivelling about Crag Swag, Morality, Ethics and Litter. Also much liking and disliking. And at the end, nothing. 

If you would like to see the future, look here, I was going to post a link to the famous Wharncliffe Bouldering Matt thread, but it has gone.

Any roads up, I have got my Popcorn.

In reply to TobyA:

Exactly as you presumed. The owner has been messaged with the news and a return to (un?)-sender process begun. Thanks to UKC lost and found 😀

In reply to Uncle Derek: Thread will be short and sweet for your brief  popcorn 🍿 eating... The owner has been messaged with the news and a return to (un?)-sender process begun. Thanks to UKC lost and found 😀

Graeme Hammond 09 May 2022
In reply to Uncle Derek:

> I foresee a thread stretching into the far and distant future (or when it gets archived) and people drivelling about Crag Swag, Morality, Ethics and Litter. Also much liking and disliking. And at the end, nothing. 

"Posts in this forum are auto-deleted after 90 days if they don't receive any new replies. Topics that develop into significant and longer discussions may be moved hence there is no guarantee that something here will be deleted."

ps hope the chap gets his gear back BUT a quick abseil in the rain would have been easier.

bicolt888 09 May 2022
In reply to configureeight:

Hi, I'm the owner of friends. Do you know how I can contact  the person who has my gear? My number 0039 3395622265. I am on Instagram too: filipbabicz

I didn't want to offend a British ethics.  I am an admirer  . Just here I have not met anyone for several days , I clean all the base from a big amount of trash and  leave my friends for a day. 

It's all about.

Thanks

bicolt888 09 May 2022
In reply to configureeight:

Hello . I spoke with a person who has my gear. He said me he wrote me on messenger but unfortunately I can't find his message (probably because not common friends). Can you write me on Instagram or WhatsApp,  please?

Keendan 09 May 2022
In reply to bicolt888:

Hi Filip.

Hope you get your gear back and hope the rest of your trip goes well.

It was so good of you to remove a whole bin bag of trash from the crag!

Listen to the advice about ethics in the UK, but don’t take it personally.

Hope to see you again in Aosta one day!

Dan

bicolt888 09 May 2022
In reply to Keendan:

Hi! It's going well! Tomorrow I will have my gear back! 

bicolt888 10 May 2022

I'm Filip, the owner of friends... all staff came back to the owner! Thanks to everyone who help in this action, all UKC community. And first of all, a big thank you to the man who brought me personally today all the equipment!

In reply to bicolt888:

We now expect an upto date news on your ascent of Appointment with Death!!!!Best of luck,

configureeight 12 May 2022

It's done yesterday!!! An rope solo asc🔥

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...