UKC

/ Lost axes Coire an Sneachda 02/01/18

tomwalton - on 03 Jan 2018
Having been swept off the Coire rim by wind slab during whiteout conditions yesterday at 1200 I have lost my axes.

Will be to the right hand side of the goat track, towards fiacill Buttress.

2x black diamond venom axes (1x adze and 1x hammer).

Please let me know if you find them and I'll cover postage back home. (ps we got out safe afterwards).

Rich W Parker - on 04 Jan 2018
In reply to tomwalton:

Glad you're ok and hope you get your axes back. I will likely be in there tomorrow so will have a look.

Did you report the avalanche on the SAIS website?
tomwalton - on 04 Jan 2018
In reply to Rich W Parker:
No haven't yet will do.

Upon closer inspection of the map they are likely near the bottom of point five gully - https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2302#
In reply to tomwalton:

I think Rich Parker meant you should have read the SAIS report in advance.

Glad you are safe though and good look getting your axes back.
Fiona Reid - on 05 Jan 2018
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

> I think Rich Parker meant you should have read the SAIS report in advance.

I think Rich meant that the OP should *report* the avalanche on the SAIS website, i.e. via the this link: https://www.sais.gov.uk/report_avalanche/ where users can report avalanches they've experienced/observed etc etc

Andy Nisbet - on 05 Jan 2018
In reply to tomwalton:

I doubt you'll get them until it thaws, and maybe the spring. A few years ago, we were avalanched in Garbh Choire Mor, Braeriach and we got the gear back at the beginning of the following October. We were lucky - if it hadn't been for global warming, they could have been under the snow for decades.
Rich W Parker - on 08 Jan 2018
In reply to tomwalton:

Sorry Tom, Andy's right, lots more snow in there so no sign at all. Hopefully they reappear at some stage!
tomwalton - on 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Thanks Rich! Will be back come the thaw.
Jonsanders24 - on 11 Jan 2018
In reply to tomwalton:

Morning. Ive found one of your axes. The adze, was about half have down .5. Im in Aberfeldy, but also Aviemore most of the winter. If not send me your address and ill post. 

Jonsanders24 - on 13 Jan 2018
In reply to tomwalton:

Hey Tom. Ive not heard anything from you. Ive turned off all notifications from this site, and hardly ever look at it. Can you email me directly Jon@allaboutadventure.co.uk

Cheers