UKC

Lost: Glasses blown from face at Froggatt

Hi there

Today at  Froggatt Edge I lost my glasses. A gust of wind came and blew a pad into my face which then hit my glasses, causing them to disappear. 

After retrieving my spare glasses from the car (I am very short sighted so this was quite a task) I couldn't find my glasses that had blown away.

On the off chance anyone sees a pair of clear framed glasses with blue sides please let me know! 

I will happily buy you more than a beer as they cost me a couple of hundred quid!

Babika 08 Apr 2021
In reply to will_mcmahon:

Which area/route? 

People on UKC are very amenable and will probably ferret around in the undergrowth if you give us a clue

I've had 2 lost items returned via UKC which gives me eternal faith  

Can't help, but good luck, I reckon you may well get them back through here (I've had a couple of things back and sent a couple).

Could I suggest trying contact lenses if you haven't already? Lots of advantages...

In reply to Babika:

I was at the top of Tody’s wall, directly above Motorcade (E1 5a) about descend. Unfortunately I’m so short sighted that as soon as they blew off I couldn’t see where they went! As the wind was so strong I’m sceptical that they landed nearby, but one can hope! 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks Jon, hopefully luck will be on my side. Thanks for the suggestion with contacts, sometimes I wear them however they dry my eyes out very easily and I have previously had more issues with these in the wind than glasses! 

Jenny C 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Could I suggest trying contact lenses if you haven't already? Lots of advantages...

It was many years ago, long before disposables existed but my mum once lost a contact lense after it blew out of her eye.

In reply to Jenny C:

Yeah, old style rigid lenses (RGPs) which ping out of your eye and are impossible to find wouldn't be my first recommendation. I'm an optometrist who's really short sighted (and I've worn RGPs) and (soft disposable) contacts have been seriously useful - I much prefer them for all outdoors/sports than glasses. If you do happen to lose one outside somehow (e.g. rubbing your eye in a weird way), you've still got the other one in for a start, and they cost about a quid a pair rather than £200 or so, so it's a lot less hassle.

Not everyone gets on with them of course, but for climbing, for me there is no contest. I've managed to bash my glasses off my face on multiple occasions (especially seconding when the dosey belayer suddenly decides to yank the rope in real quick).

Rick Graham 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Lost glasses a few times on the crag. As you say often when seconding but also in  leader falls.

After trying innumerable commercial solutions , I find a short length of  very thin nylon  cord and two clove hitches works really well, over ears and looped under hair.

In reply to Rick Graham:

Doesn’t help now but I’ve found that some version of these keepon legs work very well for keeping my glasses on during climbing.

https://keepons.net

in fact my Y and Y belay glasses came with them.

i originally got them to stop my varifocals slipping down my nose but discovered how useful they were for climbing.

They are a bit fiddly to source and to size but once you get them they are great and really do stop your glasses pinging off when bashed or knocked

mike123 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Rick Graham:.

> After trying innumerable commercial solutions , I find a short length of  very thin nylon  cord and two clove hitches works really well, over ears and looped under hair.

for a moment I thought you meant that you clove hitched a piece of cord to each ear .
 That s something I’d pay money to see . 

ATL 09 Apr 2021

I'll take a look as I go there often...  Should I start at the top of the crag or the bottom...?

And get some retaining cords or make your own as others have suggested... saved me a few times when I've knocked my glasses off on a climb..

ps. post on here if they get returned....!

In reply to ATL:

Cheers! I think it is more than likely that they will be somewhere between the top of Tody’s wall and the boulders by the path on the top. However, knowing the wind they could be literally anywhere. It’s a shame I’m so short sighted that I couldn’t see where they went!

ATL 09:37 Tue

Hi

Have had a look around and not found them. Will wander through that area of heather next time I'm up there again....

Loading Notifications...