Loading Notifications...

Removed Stake - Maiden's Bluff, NY Moors

Dave Warburton 30 Jul 2020

Fellow Climbers,

My green corkscrew stake/ground anchor has been removed from Maiden's Bluff crag near Whitby. The stake was being used for a specific task so if someone has removed it thinking it was free to a good home they were mistaken.

For anyone who reads in and wonders - the stake was placed at the bottom of the crag for a specific purpose and its highly unlikely someone went to that location who wasn't a climber.

If you rehomed it, no problem just let me know and we can sort its return/or pop it back where you found it!

The stake looked like one of these:

https://leachs.net/hurricane-scaffold-ground-anchor?gclid=CjwKCAjw34n5BRA9EiwA2u9k3-N3b33eSfX1vYvX3akTWrMC0BeHBK1IMgR1uC6QeiPTRqnpUmE4pxoCQxEQAvD_BwE

petegunn 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Dave Warburton:

Hi Dave

I've had farmers remove some of my stakes over the years from the Eden valley rather than other climbers taking them. 

Franco Cookson 31 Jul 2020
In reply to petegunn:

Good thinking. Unfortunately the descent to where the stake is is pretty hard and an outright climb to get back out of (even climbers would find this hard to get out of without a rope). 

We also know the farmer (were in the same class as his son at school). Very friendly bloke and definitely didn't take the stake - a friend once left a doggy 5m length of rope at the top of the crag and he went to great lengths to return it to us.

You wouldn't have seen the stake unless you were abing down Sky Burial, so it's almost certainly someone trying one of the harder lines there. 

P.s. have you been to maidens yet? Top autumn venue that I'm sure you'd love - vegetation is a bit high at the minute for a first visit..

duchessofmalfi 31 Jul 2020

What specific purpose?

Lankyman 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Just curious about the anchor - is one of you very heavy a la John Dunne?

petegunn 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Ah I see, friendly farmers seem to be on the rare side these days! Still yet to visit snd keen to visit loads of new places over your way. The guide has gone missing so I will have to order one ;) cheers

Will Hunt 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Dave started counting calories at university when we affectionately named him Bourbon-tonne. On returning to Leeds after a weekend club meet, he would often do the rounds of the tables, sweeping uneaten naan into a carrier bag to scoff later. "Waste nowt, want nowt," he said.

Now when he takes his t-shirt off at the crag, local washerwomen flock to him to use his abdomen as a washboard.

Back on topic. We all know that Franco's had it away to put at the top of Spittal.

tjdodd 01 Aug 2020

Isn't it obvious why the stake was removed and what it has been used for. There's only one thing stakes are used for in Whitby.

Lankyman 16:15 Sat
In reply to tjdodd:

> Isn't it obvious why the stake was removed and what it has been used for. There's only one thing stakes are used for in Whitby.

Yes, point taken (ouch!) but doesn't it have to made of ash to thwart the undead?

Lankyman 16:20 Sat
In reply to Will Hunt:

> Dave started counting calories at university when we affectionately named him Bourbon-tonne. On returning to Leeds after a weekend club meet, he would often do the rounds of the tables, sweeping uneaten naan into a carrier bag to scoff later. "Waste nowt, want nowt," he said.

I knew lots folks who used to survive this way by 'hoovering' the tables at Bernies in Ingleton. It was quite entertaining to see some hapless tourist pause part-way through a plate of chips only to see it swept away. I never had the nerve myself.

Red Rover 17:19 Sat
In reply to Lankyman:

I miss Bernies. People said it was a grumpy place but that kind of added to it. Inglesport is good though.

Lankyman 17:51 Sat
In reply to Red Rover:

> I miss Bernies. People said it was a grumpy place but that kind of added to it. Inglesport is good though.

The place I miss most of all is The Fountains Cafe. That was the place for 'Breakfast with beans' to shore you up for a ten-hour slog down King Pot or Black Shiver. Then there was The Dragon's Lair (our very un-PC) name for the Country Kitchen. She was charming once she got to know you but had a tendency to shout at you if you were sitting in the wrong place. Once, after taking a mate down Valley Entrance we had the great idea of abbing down Thornton Force (in February!). Arriving late in Ingleton, everything closed, she was putting the chairs and tables away but opened up just for us and cooked us a meal. That will always stay with me as an act of great kindness.

toad 19:08 Sat

It's like racing pigeons. As soon as you let your hardware out  into the wild,  you lose control over it

DaveHK 19:55 Sat
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> What specific purpose?

Massive bottle of wine?

Lankyman 20:03 Sat
In reply to toad:

> It's like racing pigeons. As soon as you let your hardware out  into the wild,  you lose control over it

Are there peregrines nesting nearby?

Solidly tensioning down a skyhook! Its hard to explain on UKC but it really would appear a climber is the only likely candidate to have had it away. But hey ho. 

The stake has been returned i've been reliably informed!

Thanks for putting it back if you happen to read this. Kind regards, Dave.