UKC

/ stuck cam on 'seams the same'

seamus987 - on 10 Feb 2018

Seams the Same (E1 5b)

hi there,

last week I got my green totem cam stuck on 'seams the same' in Serengeti. if anyone else climbs the route and manages to get it out I would happily pay for the postage to get it sent back to me, and get the person a pint as well. 

many thanks 

seamus 

Pedro50 on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to seamus987:

If stuck and abandoned then surely it's legitimate swag? Discuss. 

snoop6060 - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

Absolutely legit swag that. 

Lord_ash2000 - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

Not that I'll be climbing it anytime soon but I'd say it's legit if you haven't read this post but if you have then you might feel a bit guilty knowing the owner is contactable and offering postage + compensation.  

Post edited at 18:20
Pedro50 on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Compensation = a pint. A Totem apparently costs £70. Generous not. 

elliott92 - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

In a bit of a "shitty, I'm going to be a dick mood"? 

FactorXXX - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> Not that I'll be climbing it anytime soon but I'd say it's legit if you haven't read this post but if you have then you might feel a bit guilty knowing the owner is contactable and offering postage + compensation.  

Equally, I'd never have the cheek to post about losing gear in such a fashion and think putting a 'guilt trip' on readers of such threads goes against the whole Crag Swag ethic.

bedspring on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to seamus987:

Are cams good protection on slate. I always thought slate sort of lubricated on load and cams could fail unless in passive mode. But hey what do I know.

Cusco - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to seamus987:

Hi Seamus

If I was there, got it out and then read your post, I'd happily send it back just for the postage.  

No guilt trip involved. Not a question about insufficiently generous compensation. Just a decent thing to do.

Happy climbing. 

C

alanblyth - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to bedspring:

They can be good, the lack of crystals or friction reduces their reliability somewhat, I can imagine they would rip out of anything a bit flaring, but there are loads of good placements,

More of a concern would be the large forces generated by the camming action, which I always assumed is what ripped the big flake off at bus stop?

I guess you take what gear is there, and what you see is the best option at the time,

Post edited at 21:20
jezb1 - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to seamus987:

I’ll happily wonder up there on Monday and try and get it out on rap if it’s still there. Expect it will be, weathers honking.

Kevster - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to jezb1:

Re establishing faith in fellow man. Right there.

Crag swag to one side, it is nice to be nice! 

Ron Rees Davies - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Kevster:

He never said he was going to return it ;)

jezb1 - on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Haha, I knew someone would pick up on that!

If I get it, I’ll return it

tradisrad - on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

Abandoned gear is absolutely fair game. Them's the rules. 

zmv - on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to tradisrad:

So the OP is asking really nicely for some help if anyone happens to get it out.

If you got it out, would you keep it, even though you've read this post?

Lusk - on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to zmv:

> So the OP is asking really nicely for some help if anyone happens to get it out.
> If you got it out, would you keep it, even though you've read this post?

Depends on how much effort the OP went to recover it, did he try and retrieve on ab for example, if not, it's abandoned and fair game.
I've had 2nds not get gear out and thought Sod it, good luck to whoever gets it.

phil456 on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to zmv:

No

EarlyBird - on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Lusk:

I agree. I've left stuck gear and felt a bit guilty for littering the crag - always hoped that someone more competent would successfully remove it and add it to their rack. If the gear had been left in more difficult circumstances then the protocol should be adjusted accordingly.

zmv - on 11 Feb 2018

I think crag swag would make a fantastic Judge Rinder episode.

jezb1 - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to seamus987:

Anyone want to buy a green Totem?

Ive got it out, placed too far back in that crack to be easy, but it was bomber, just needed a nut key to pull it out a bit. 

Get in touch if you want it returning...

beardy mike - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

The price of one green totem cam, £70. The price of postage for one cam to somewhere in the UK, £5. The price of one beer in recompense, £4.50. The price to your karma for being a bit of a grumpy fecker and keeping the cam despite being asked nicely, priceless. For everything else there is Mastercard.

Mark Kemball - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to seamus987:

I've said this many times before, this is definately crag swag / litter. When I have had to abandon cams under similar circumstances, I've advertised them on here as free to whoever can get them out. 

Dave Kerr - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to jezb1:

> I’ll happily wonder up there on Monday and try and get it out on rap if it’s still there. Expect it will be, weathers honking.

Whilst your at it we left a cam on P3 and a bulldog on P4 of Skyscraper Buttress.

Skyscraper Buttress (VI 7)

jezb1 - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to seamus987:

Not sure why I got a dislike for going and getting someone’s cam??

Ive messsged the OP so hopefully he’ll get it back soon.

chris687 - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to jezb1:

Maybe it's because you undermined the bar stool bravado of the crag swaggers, as no one actually bothered to go and get it for themselves after saying that it's fair game etc.

petenebo - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to zmv:

Nfp