UKC

0-62 under 2 seconds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 05 Mar 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47418405

I am guessing this is going to be rivalled by the new Tesla Roadster thats due out soon with very similar stats and both electric.

I'm not sure how the tyres are going to deal with trying to put all that power down!

As a petrol (battery) head I love it though!

EddInaBox 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> 0-62 under 2 seconds.

... but what can it do on grit?

Lusk 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I wonder who'll be the first footballer to trash his in Manchester airport tunnels?

(remember Ronaldo? )

felt 05 Mar 2019
In reply to EddInaBox:

> ... but what can it do on grit?

You'd be mad to take it out in the snow.

Removed User 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Am I right in thinking it doesn't have a gearbox as such? No foot on the pedal = 0mph and foot full down on the peddle = 258 mph, after a few seconds?

Getting to 60 mph in less than 2 seconds sounds a bit alarming. But fun in an very large and empty car park.

jkarran 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> I'm not sure how the tyres are going to deal with trying to put all that power down!

Briefly! They're almost incredible numbers.

> As a petrol (battery) head I love it though!

Electric opens up new realms of performance previously only available from huge or exotic engines and complex drivetrains. The ability of electric motors and batteries to soak up enormous transient 'overloads' makes available very sporty performance from ordinary, affordable cars and exotic performance from extraordinary cars.

jk

OP Ben_Climber 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I do remember this!

I drive through them fairly regularly and always wonder how he managed that on a fairly straight bit of road!

In reply to jkarran:

I was at the Goodwood festival of speed last summer and the two quickest cars up the hill climb were both electric. It was phenomenal to watch, they glide past with a quiet whistle/whirr.

They made current F1 cars look sluggish.

I am guessing they are fairly easy to drive/ get performance from as well. With no gear changing and full power at constant disposal.

I wonder if the tyre manufactures will keep up with the advancements in power.

In reply to Removed User:

Alarming indeed when you think its quicker than Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers. 

wintertree 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Alarming indeed when you think its quicker than Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers. 

I’ve been on the Intamin powered launch coaster at Knott’s Berry Farm - 0-80 mph in 2.3 seconds. It’s officially mind blowing.  Accelerating away from a standing start in our underpowered EV is also a really nice sensation.  If only I had £2m I could combine them!

Removed User 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Alarming indeed when you think its quicker than Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers. 

Just imagine sitting at the lights. You get a sudden attack of cramp in your right thigh and 50 milliseconds later you're careering through the window display of the Debenhams that was previously on the other side of the junction.

Denzil 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Just imagine sitting at the lights. You get a sudden attack of cramp in your right thigh and 50 milliseconds later you're careering through the window display of the Debenhams that was previously on the other side of the junction.

Back in the 70’s a friend had a 3.5l V6 Capri. Young mechanic took it out for a short road test after a service - pulled out quickly into a space in the traffic and found himself through a hedge and in the field across the road.....

jimtitt 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

0-335mph in 3.65sec is fast! Forget the Duracell rubbish.

jkarran 05 Mar 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

4g. Top fuel drag car or rocket sled?

jk

Deadeye 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Only 1.4g, pah!

jimtitt 05 Mar 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> 4g. Top fuel drag car or rocket sled?

> jk

Top fuel, only pistons turning tyres interest real men!

Timmd 05 Mar 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

> Top fuel, only pistons turning tyres interest real men!

'Real men' cycle up hills with beefy legs rather than drive up them.  

It'll hopefully help air quality around inner city areas when cars move away from fossil fuels. 

Post edited at 19:12
 jimtitt 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Timmd:

Top-fuel cars don't use fossil fuel

BnB 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I don't want to piss on everyone's enthusiasm because the car is a lovely thing. And, as a sports car enthusiast, I'm intrigued to see the time come when it's genuinely practical to run an electric car over long distances. But that amount of acceleration is only going to be frustrating in the real world. I have a toy that goes quite quickly and I can tell you that, even in something half as rapid, you are at licence-losing speeds in the blink of an eye. Gone are the days of mashing through the gears as you build speed. It's a quick poke of the accelerator and then whoa, steady on soldier. You end up paying for a vastly capable sports car and enjoying only a fraction of its abilities.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

Pfft!

Give me a McLaren F1 any day.

https://www.evo.co.uk/mclaren/f1/20186/delivery-mileage-mclaren-f1-goes-up-...

Might stick in a bid......

Cheese Monkey 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Pfft my motorbike does 0-60 in under 3 seconds and its nearly as old as me.

Arms Cliff 05 Mar 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

> Top-fuel cars don't use fossil fuel

Using biproducts in fact, so environmentally friendly

freeflyer 05 Mar 2019
In reply to BnB:

> Gone are the days of mashing through the gears as you build speed

Nope, that's called getting old, mate.

However, it's not too late - you just need to try harder and get the highway enforcer detection superpower. You can get training at those speed awareness courses.

Ian W 05 Mar 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

This article gives some mind boggling data about that car - and in the last bit, the in run acceleration. 0 - 60 in 0.54 seconds!!

http://sip-trunking.tmcnet.com/news/2014/08/02/7952726.htm

And for the non-men, Sammy Millers Peroxide fuelled rocket dragster did 0 - 100 in 0.3 seconds. He set the world 1/4 mile record at 3.58s, 386 mph, despite having shut the engine off early (allegedly it ran out of fuel). I saw this beastie at Santa Pod in thr early 80's and it was just ludicrous. It didnt accelerate so much as teleport to the other end of the strip...

jimtitt 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Ian W:

There's a new system so they can measure more accurately, Tony Schumachers car (the numbers I gave earlier) put out 11,051hp. Just think what it'd be like if they took the rev limiters off and allowed 90% nitro again.

Ian W 05 Mar 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Not forgetting the last 51hp! Very important, that 51hp. 11,000 being just not enough....

Hooo 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> Pfft my motorbike does 0-60 in under 3 seconds and its nearly as old as me.

Yeah, in theory. Have you ever actually got close though? I used to have a bike that would do 0-60 in under 3 secs,  but I'd never have got near that time myself. Keeping it in a straight line and the front wheel reasonably near the ground while delicately controlling the power to get the most traction is quite a skill. With a modern car you just put your foot down and it does the rest.

The days of bikes being faster than cars are well over.

In reply to EddInaBox:

What can it do on a cold day?

In reply to Hooo:

Electric bikes?

jkarran 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Stephen R Young:

> Electric bikes?

What about them?

jk

Ian W 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

> Yeah, in theory. Have you ever actually got close though? I used to have a bike that would do 0-60 in under 3 secs,  but I'd never have got near that time myself. Keeping it in a straight line and the front wheel reasonably near the ground while delicately controlling the power to get the most traction is quite a skill. With a modern car you just put your foot down and it does the rest.

> The days of bikes being faster than cars are well over.

Not really; to get  a car thats faster than my bike will cost well into 6 figures and it will be ludicrously expensive to run, and very rare. Lots of bikes can do 0-60 in about 3 - 3.5 s, limited as you say by trying to stop the back tyre spinning and keep the front down; however, my 50 - 100 time wont be matched by any car, and pretty well all manufacturers make bikes with that kind of performance.

Some bikes do have electronics that can help - my overpaid and child-free mate went from a fireblade to a panigale, with traction and wheelie control, and he was startled by the acceleration of the panigale. Mind you, 205bhp and 180kg, i'm not surprised, and it'll do >100 in first gear........ 

wintertree 06 Mar 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> What about them?

Should be much easier to make them two-wheel drive which will help with traction issues.

Throw in a small control momentum gyroscope or high pressure compressed air rockets for computer aided stability...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...