UKC

1973 was a good year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
Which makes 2013 the year that I turn 40! Kind of scary really, but I'm looking for something special to do to mark the occasion. So I'm looking to find out what over people with similar interests have done, plan to do, or just think may be a good suggestion.

I hill walk, love sport climbing, enjoy bouldering, and intend to get some experience of trad climbing this year, but that's not to limit the something special to any of these activities. For instance, I've never been skiing and have considered that. There does seem to be too much choice at times! Suggestions should be legal, moral (at least, my definition of moral), and not buttock-clenchingly expensive!!

Fire away....
 dale1968 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS: book yourself a lesson you won't regret it
http://www.dorsetsnowsportcentre.co.uk/prices.htm
 Blue Straggler 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

Freediving
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968: Cheers for that Dale, I've thought about going there a couple of times. I've got two boys, aged 6 and 8, and I reckon they might enjoy that too!!
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
>
> Freediving

I think freediving might push my bronze swimming certificate beyond it's limit!!
 Blue Straggler 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

Naah you'll be alright, I am poor at swimming but good at sinking
 teflonpete 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

AFF level 1 skydive. Not cheap, but not too dear and definitely memorable.
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
>
> AFF level 1 skydive. Not cheap, but not too dear and definitely memorable.

Now that I like!! Always thought you had to have an instructor strapped to you unless you'd had a shedload of training!!
 LastBoyScout 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, so I'll be watching this thread with interest Friends/family are starting to ask what I'd like to do.

I'm a competent skiier/snowboarder and once held Cat 9 skydiver status, so those are out.

I'd like to go to Australia, but that's out of the question for various reasons.

I'm currently considering a helicopter flying lesson, as I've always wanted to do that - open to other suggestions, too...
 nniff 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

Get yourself a bicycle - a road bike - join a local club and get into something else too. It's done the power of good for both my fitness and climbing (both winter and summer) - a bit lighter, a whole lot fitter and stronger of leg too.
 wilkie14c 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:
A week on Skye with the highlight being a 2 day guided crossing of the ridge.
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
>
> I'm in exactly the same boat as you, so I'll be watching this thread with interest Friends/family are starting to ask what I'd like to do.

> I'm currently considering a helicopter flying lesson, as I've always wanted to do that - open to other suggestions, too...

Thought about glider's rather than helicopters myself. Apparently, the quiet whilst floating on thermals is amazing.

I've just been looking at something called Annapurna Sanctuary, a 14 day walking holiday starting at Kathmandu and heading to the Annapurna basecamp, staying in trekking lodges. Sounds like i'll smell a bit by the end of it, but have some wicked memories!!

Good luck with choosing, and let me know if you manage to make a decision!
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to nniff: Well I do have Bradley Wiggin-esque sideys at the mo......
 Mooncat 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

Shave your nads, not completely just a number 1.
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Already going to Scotland this year, but there doesn't have to be a limit on visits!!!
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Mooncat: That itches way too much when the hair grows back (according to a friend of mine)
 Mooncat 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:
> (In reply to Mooncat) That itches way too much when the hair grows back (according to a friend of mine)

I've found a weekly trim takes care of that.

LastBoyScout 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

Ah, I've also done gliders - fantastic feeling, but we had several failed attempts to get off the ground due to weather, mainly too much wind.
 Ava Adore 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

40 is NOTHING, youth.
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
>
> 40 is NOTHING, youth.

Oh these plans are mild compared to my 50th and WORLD DOMINATION for my 60th (evil laugh)!!!
 hedgepig 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:
That was the year I did my first climb!
How should this be celebrated? (I've already got a road bike)
In reply to Matt CS: 1973. Dark side of the moon. Money. Get back! Isn't it? Sunderland in the cup final. Peter Lorimer. Must score! Oh what a save! Leeds defeated. One nil. Giant killers. Isn't it? Bob Stokoe dancing on the pitch. Everyone happy. Except Leeds. Boo hoo, want mummy. Wasn't it?

Marvellous. Still, I'm 50 this year so I'm sure 1963 would have been better still but I can't remember it...

T.
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to hedgepig:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
> That was the year I did my first climb!
> How should this be celebrated? (I've already got a road bike)

Skydiving.

Was it a good year then?
OP Matt CS 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS: a mate just pointed this out to me:
http://static.goimgs.com/images/shop/multiview/PAT/132472.om_frt.mv_d.jpg

May sum me up fairly well!!
Bingers 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

Myself and my brother in law did tandem parapenting (not with each other - we'd both never done it before) for our 40th.

More importantly, you need to understand that it is the decade that your body starts to give up on you - memory loss (immediately on turning 40 for me), partial deafness (quite a blessing actually), losing the ability to see close range (within a couple of years), general aches increasing.

Good luck and enjoy what you can when you can. (with who you can)
 Landy_Dom 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

Me too! A good year indeed. I really fancy bagging cenotaph corner after about 20 years of coveting it but its going to be big challenge!
OP Matt CS 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Landy_Dom:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
>
> Me too! A good year indeed. I really fancy bagging cenotaph corner after about 20 years of coveting it but its going to be big challenge!

Just had a look at that. Awesome looking climb, go for it I say!!
 John_Hat 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

My 40th birthday was yesterday, so sadly a bit late!

As to what I did, I've always hankered after a decent pool table, so have ordered one. Was supposed to be here yesterday but the suppliers ordered the wrong colour baize. Tomorrow now, which is annoying.

Last night went out to a restaurant with Lady Blue, ..then we have a party on Saturday with many friends...
OP Matt CS 03 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
>
> My 40th birthday was yesterday, so sadly a bit late!
>
> As to what I did, I've always hankered after a decent pool table, so have ordered one. Was supposed to be here yesterday but the suppliers ordered the wrong colour baize. Tomorrow now, which is annoying.
>
> Last night went out to a restaurant with Lady Blue, ..then we have a party on Saturday with many friends...

I'll give you a game of pool next time I'm up that way
 Tony the Blade 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:

I too like to mark the yearly passing. My favourite year was my 46th.

I decided to attempt 46 different open water swims... lakes, tarns, rivers, sea, lido's etc. It proved difficult but I managed it, just. The final swim was a lido with lots of my friends followed by champaigne as it was on my 47th birthday! The coldest was Cleethorpes on December 23rd!!!

The great thing about this was that lots of friends decided to join me on many of the swims, some even invited me to their favourite spot.

This year I'll be 48 and I've decided on something far less practical. More info nearer the time (April).

LastBoyScout 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Landy_Dom:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
>
> Me too! A good year indeed. I really fancy bagging cenotaph corner after about 20 years of coveting it but its going to be big challenge!

My 30th birthday target was Comes the Dervish - perhaps I should attempt to conquer my 2 nemesises, Stroof and Orpheus Wall...
OP Matt CS 03 Jan 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: Go on, you know you want to!!
 misterb 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS:
I'm 40 this year too.
I'm buying a childishly fast car to celebrate old age and massage my midlife crisis feelings.I will then spend the rest of this year chasing long lost youthful fitness in the form of fragging myself to achieve a 1.30 half marathon and my goal of doing one 7c sport route before 2014.
OP Matt CS 04 Jan 2013
In reply to madbaza: Like the car idea, but I was going to go for a stupidly chunky-tired off-roader, with snorkel and all the trimmings!
 Siward 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Enduring image, jumpers for goalposts...
 ryan_d 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS: it sounds like there are a few of us in the club, as my 40th is this year too. Maybe a meet up followed by a climb, followed by some (read lots- I am Scottish) beer, followed by throwing up- re-live the yoof!!!!

Ryan
OP Matt CS 04 Jan 2013
In reply to ryan_d: Sounds good tto me.We are currently looking at early June???
Blastbar 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS: 2013 is also the first year with 4 separate numbers since your birth. Possibly.
OP Matt CS 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Blastbar:
> (In reply to Matt CS) 2013 is also the first year with 4 separate numbers since your birth. Possibly.

I thought long and hard about this, and it would be excellent, but the 1980's put paid to it
Blastbar 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS: Its a shame someone thought about it, my facts work much better when they're accepted straight off the bat.
 Andy Long 04 Jan 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Matt CS)
> A week on Skye with the highlight being a 2 day guided crossing of the ridge.

Oh, sorry! I thought it said "2 day guided crossing of the bridge".

ryan_d 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Matt CS: That could work. My b'day is the 20th of June so timings are good. ANyone else want to join in.

Get a campsite, work out some climbs and bring a load of food an beer. Make sure a pub's nearby in case weather is shite.......sorted.

R

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...