UKC

1980's film?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 03 Apr 2018

I heard a rumour that somebody was about to make a film on u.k. 1980's climbing.

Anyone know anything about this?

OP paul mitchell 09 Apr 2018
In reply to paul mitchell:

I heard a rumour it might be Nick Brown?

DoctorYoghourt 10 Apr 2018

I miss the 80s.  Especially the lycra.  I was happy in the 80s.  I got to wear lycra and not get laughed at.  It's so different these days.  But - and I'm emphatic about this - I absolutely do not want to see a fillum about climbing in the 80s.  Because that's where it all went wrong.  The spirit of climbing died in the eighties, strangled in it's bed by the social force of capital.  No shit.

Removed User 10 Apr 2018
In reply to DoctorYoghourt:

> I miss the 80s.  Especially the lycra.  I was happy in the 80s.  I got to wear lycra and not get laughed at.  It's so different these days.  But - and I'm emphatic about this - I absolutely do not want to see a fillum about climbing in the 80s.  Because that's where it all went wrong.  The spirit of climbing died in the eighties, strangled in it's bed by the social force of capital.  No shit.

Naaaa. The spirit of climbing died with the growth in popularity of this site and the BMC's drive to expand the number of active participants. So climbing became populated by a larger group of people who wanted structure, rules etc. and this site gave them a forum to enforce through moral self righteousness.

john arran 10 Apr 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Naaa. The spirit of climbing died when fancy new kit was available, so climbers no longer had to tie hemp around their waists and thread pebbles.

Or was it when all the peaks in the Alps had been conquered, leaving only scraps of outcrops to play on.

Could easily turn into a Monty Pythonesque Yorkshireman sketch, but the truth is that the spirit of climbing has always been changing, often in good ways, sometimes less so, but has never died.

Urban5teve 10 Apr 2018
In reply to john arran:

The 

> Naaa. The spirit of climbing died when fancy new kit was available, so climbers no longer had to tie hemp around their waists and thread pebbles.

Surly you mean the spirit of climbing died when we came down from the trees and started to walk through tall grasses.

Because the further you go back in time, more "spirit" was present! 

Post edited at 10:00
 Bulls Crack 10 Apr 2018

Would you like an audition?

Martin W 11 Apr 2018
In reply to john arran:

> Could easily turn into a Monty Pythonesque Yorkshireman sketch

Originally written for and performed in At Last the 1948 Show (Cleese and Chapman shared the writing credit with Tim Brooke-Taylor and Marty Feldman).  Never appeared in the Python TV shows, only ever as part of their live shows.  Not a lot of people know that.

We now return you to our scheduled programming.

Pete Pozman 11 Apr 2018

Just a bit late, but this is the sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMPyKWfAdhM&t=95s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...