UKC

1km swim time?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 07 Nov 2012
The new works gym has opened up and the initial enthusiasm from the students has died down so im going for a swim of a lunchtime Im going to try to get a km done at least three times a week and wonder what folks think of as an ok time to aim for? As background im coming up to 39, large build (17 stone) and vaguely fit (cycle a 15 mile round trip most days to work). The pool is only 20m so lots of stop/start, no idea how to do those funky turn things either. Been the last three days and am pretty much bang on 20 minutes each time. So what seems a reasonable target?

Cheers

Tall Clare 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

Freestyle?
OP the sheep 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Sorry yes, front crawl.
andic 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

My GF who is quite unfit takes 40-45 min (breast stroke) so you are going twice as fast as her, I hope that makes you proud.
Removed User 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

Ohhh I've just done a calc. and discovered it takes me about 35mins to do 1500m. For some reson I had it in my head that 50 lengths of a 25m pool was 1500m when it is actually 60 lengths.

TBH, I usually swim a mile (64 lengths) in 40mins.
 adam 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

Are you at Leicester Uni? Did I see you there yesterday luchtime? I can usually manage 1 mile / 80 lengths in 35-40 minutes so 20 mins for 50 lengths sounds pretty good to me.
 ebygomm 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

18 mins 20 secs

Ava Adore 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

About an hour on current form....
OP the sheep 07 Nov 2012
In reply to adam:

Hi Adam,

Yes I was there at lunchtime, main campus.
 Tall Clare 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

I'm a slowcoach who *still* can't swim freestyle (or rather, who keeps finding excuses to avoid learning properly) and I do 1km breast stroke in 25 mins.
In reply to the sheep: About 17 mins for me
 Jenny C 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep: I'm not built for speed

Doing breaststroke I reckon just under an hour for 2km.
 John Lewis 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep: for me 1k mixed stroke first swim in a year 28 mins, would hope to get to about 22-23 mins. 1.1 miles just under 45 mins.
 John Lewis 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to the sheep)
>
> I'm a slowcoach who *still* can't swim freestyle (or rather, who keeps finding excuses to avoid learning properly) and I do 1km breast stroke in 25 mins.

still waiting to hear your freestyle objective completed , don't think I forgot.
 Tall Clare 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

As targets go, I don't know much about these things but I bet you could pretty easily shave a couple of minutes off that time. Apparently tumble turns are pretty easy once you get the hang of them.
 Tall Clare 07 Nov 2012
In reply to John Lewis:

It slid down the list of priorities when I set up the business! Mr TC is also waiting and tutting quietly...
 ebygomm 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

that's based on a 2 second per length saving by the way
 John Lewis 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: he should tut less quietly!
OP the sheep 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Jenny C:
> (In reply to the sheep) I'm not built for speed

Likewise, im more whale than barracuda....

OP the sheep 07 Nov 2012
In reply to ebygomm:
>
> that's based on a 2 second per length saving by the way

Should be doable

Tall Clare 07 Nov 2012
In reply to John Lewis:

He knows I'm feeling a little mentally unstable at the moment - I think he's scared of tipping me over the edge
 John Lewis 07 Nov 2012
In reply to adam:
>
> Are you at Leicester Uni? Did I see you there yesterday luchtime? I can usually manage 1 mile / 80 lengths in 35-40 minutes so 20 mins for 50 lengths sounds pretty good to me.

what size is that pool 25 meters is usual and that would be 64 lengths for the mile
 ebygomm 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep: whales swim pretty well...
 Tall Clare 07 Nov 2012
In reply to John Lewis:

In the OP the Sheep says it's 20 metres
 deepsoup 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:
That's a good thing about swimming I suppose. If you're not built for speed, chances are you will be built for buoyancy. ;O)
 John Lewis 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to John Lewis)
>
> He knows I'm feeling a little mentally unstable at the moment - I think he's scared of tipping me over the edge

What man is not
 John Lewis 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Ah yes, missed that, pretty short, I think that would improve the time, all that benefit of pushing off the end.
OP the sheep 07 Nov 2012
In reply to deepsoup:
Exactly, may not dive well but float like a good un
 Dave B 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

About 15 minutes should be your target... I reckon the 6 minute 400m is like the 40 minute 10k or the 25 minute 10 mile TT on the bike. A sign of a good swimmer. Others may disagree.
 ebygomm 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave B: going from a 2 min 100m to a 1 min 30 100m is quite a big jump.
 adam 07 Nov 2012
In reply to John Lewis:

The extra pushing would normally be helpful, but lanes are wide and you need to move across the lane for the return paddle and sometimes wait for space if it's busier. If it's quiet (and it is getting quieter now we're a few weeks into term) it can really improve your times.

The other thing to avoid is the Aqua aerobic session which works like a wave machine (and comes accompanied with crap music).

I'd prefer to have the extra 5m, but 20m lengths are fine. It's a nice pool, usually quiet at lunchtimes, so I'm not complaining.
In reply to the sheep: At my best 28mins for the mile, which is 17.5 for the km - 25m pool, mixed strokes. That was when I was about 30 and 13st. Now I'm a fair bit older and heavier I reckon you're doing pretty well at 20mins.
 JR 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave B:
>
> About 15 minutes should be your target... I reckon the 6 minute 400m is like the 40 minute 10k or the 25 minute 10 mile TT on the bike. A sign of a good swimmer. Others may disagree.

probably not far off that, it's almost bang on the ironman swim in an hour which is the benchmark.
Ian Black 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep: Not too bad a time but room for improvement. Get someone to look at your body position and what your legs are doing in front crawl(scissor kicking). Lots of people look in the wrong places, so basically unless your kick is fairly covert and your hips sit nice and high in the water, forget about whats happening at the front of your stroke until you get balanced. I know lots who work on their catch etc, while the legs and hips sit low in the water. Wasting precious time. Get balanced, streamlined, and practice good exhalation and you should see an improvement without using any more energy. Hopes this helps...
 Dave B 07 Nov 2012
In reply to ebygomm:

Long term target...
 LastBoyScout 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

17-18 mins in a 25m pool
OP the sheep 08 Nov 2012
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Despite feeling quite lethargic went to the pool at lunch as I felt I should do something having not cycled in today. Anyway there was a lad in the "fast" lane who wasnt that fast at all so got off to a flyer seeing how many times i could lap him. He left after about 15 lengths so kept on going. Someone else came in when i got to about 30 so as they were only a tad slower gave me an incentive to try play catch up. Anyway time for the 1km was a smidge over 18 minutes so very happy. Just goes to show that a: im crap at pacing myself and, b: a lazy morning with a cheeky mid morning sausage roll can work wonders!
 ClimberEd 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave B:
>
> About 15 minutes should be your target... I reckon the 6 minute 400m is like the 40 minute 10k or the 25 minute 10 mile TT on the bike. A sign of a good swimmer. Others may disagree.

I disagree because swimming need technique, I can hit both those stats for the run and the bike, without much training but am a long way off in the pool (maybe 7.20 at best)
 ebygomm 08 Nov 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:

> I disagree because swimming need technique, I can hit both those stats for the run and the bike, without much training but am a long way off in the pool (maybe 7.20 at best)

I'd agree that a 6 minute 400m is a sign of a good swimmer. It just doesn't necessarily indicate anything much about fitness which is perhaps where it differs from the bike and run times given.

John_Hat 08 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep:

Back in the days when I swum at county level 25 mins for the mile was about my norm. This was because my actual competitive distance was 50-100m and I had no endurance ability whatsoever.

In my early 30's I was swimming every day and got down to the same time for the mile, which would equate to about 16min/km.

I'd say 20m for 1km is perfectly respectable to be honest. If you can get down to 15min then that would be, in my opinion, seriously good going.
Ian Black 08 Nov 2012
In reply to the sheep: Just noticed the bit on your OP about being 17 stone. I would imagine due to your body composition you will be sitting nice and high in the water anyway. Many Triathletes unless they come from a swimming background, struggle with their body position due to being fairly lean with muscular thighs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...