UKC

3 Experiments You Can Do At Home that PROVE THE EARTH IS FLAT!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HarmM 22 Jan 2013
this is a joke right:

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=45427

i mean i respect all religons and people can belive what they want to but seriously this is a joke right?
 JimboWizbo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

I just ruined your whole evening
KevinD 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM:

landover are a pisstake.
that said some confused people may have ended up on their forum taking them seriously.
Simon Wells 22 Jan 2013
 jezb1 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM: Wow I've just done his experiments and he is correct.

Must throw away my copy of A Brief History of Time which is obviously the work of the devil!

deepsoup 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM:
> but seriously this is a joke right?

It's not easy to tell is it? This should help clear up any confusion. http://objectiveministries.org/shutdown/
In reply to HarmM:

"On the lookout for wife #6"

Love it!

ALC
Simon Wells 22 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

From just a quick look I would assume the objectiveministries site is also a windup, as well as an offence against basic web site design!

Do any Christians run satirical atheist sites?
Graeme G 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM:

Brilliant!
 The Lemming 22 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM:

Can they name one experiment that proves time exists?
 krikoman 23 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Max Harms)
>
> Can they name one experiment that proves time exists?

I can, sleep in one more time this month and I'm for the chop.
ice.solo 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon Wells:
> (In reply to deepsoup)
>
>
> Do any Christians run satirical atheist sites?

isnt christianity itself a satire of the tale of gilgamesh?
 mikekeswick 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: No
Simon Wells 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

I must be very out of touch as I haver seen the Gilgamesh web site? Did read a translation, but on paper

Similar accusations about Mithras, but I don't think the Persian Bull god took it to court?
 John_Hat 23 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM:

Landoverbaptist is a well-and-long established parody site.

The letters section is well worth a read. Basically divides into two sections:

1) Those who haven't got the joke and are saying what a wonderful site it is, and how strong no-nonsense belief is what is holding the world together, and how the great people at Landoverbaptist will be the first rescued when the rapture comes, etc, etc.

2) Others of the same disposition but who have realised its a joke and making lots of comments about hellfire, damnation, etc...

I also like the way it links to "real" baptist sites and the level of insanity doesn't noticably change...
 MG 23 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat: "

Poe's law applies

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."
Simon Wells 23 Jan 2013
In reply to MG:

Has the parody created a self creating reality? So people mistake other peoples parody for a genuine reaction and so parody the parody they thought was genuine.

The whole "Hell House" concept seems a little farfetched and counterproductive. The typical western idea of hell run by a devil is contrary to most interpretations of the Bible, ie the devil is sent to hell after the final judgement, the dead to hades until judgement etc. I suspect the popular culture concept of hell has more to do with pagan / pre-Christian culture surviving into ‘folk religion’.
 deepsoup 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon Wells:
> From just a quick look I would assume the objectiveministries site is also a windup, as well as an offence against basic web site design!

The offence against basic website design is part of the charm, when I first saw it I needed much more than a quick look to make my mind up whether its a spoof or not. In the end it was the Pastors' profile pictures that convinced me, just too perfect. :O)

Afaik the swag is real, I'm quite tempted to buy myself a "Mr Gruff the grumpy atheist" t-shirt.

Poe's Law, that's the badger - parody of this kind of thing is basically impossible to distinguish from the real deal. The objectiveministries site is a windup, but the Chuck Norris video at the top of their front page, warning that Barack Obama's re-election would be the "first step into a thousand years of darkness" for America, is absolutely sincere.
 Al Evans 23 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup: His 'facts' aren't even true, if you jump up in a train corridor travelling at 100mph (or a truck flatbed) you come down in exactly the same spot, not several feet down the corridor. Why is just shoolboy physics.
 Martin W 23 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup: I enjoyed this bit, from the Pastor's Corner section:

Triclavianists hold that three, and only three, nails were used to affix our Lord Jesus Christ to the cross. While it might be true that three nails were used -- and, in fact, archeological evidences uncovered by Biblical researchers positively point to this conclusion -- it is erroneous, and theologically dangerous, to make this a doctrinal position. The Bible does not enumerate the Lord's nails and any extra-Biblical research on the subject -- while both interesting and useful for apologetic purposes when dealing with those afflicted with a Secular world view that denies even the historicity of our Lord's passion and crucifixion -- cannot be considered of any substantive import to the Faith.

Which I read as a rather clever, long-winded way of saying "we don't let facts get in the way of our beliefs".
 Philip 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to deepsoup) His 'facts' aren't even true, if you jump up in a train corridor travelling at 100mph (or a truck flatbed) you come down in exactly the same spot, not several feet down the corridor. Why is just shoolboy physics.

What about if you jump up when there is a joke travelling past? What speed does it go over your head?
Simon_Sheff 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Philip:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> What about if you jump up when there is a joke travelling past? What speed does it go over your head?

chortle

Simon_Sheff 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to deepsoup) His 'facts' aren't even true, if you jump up in a train corridor travelling at 100mph (or a truck flatbed) you come down in exactly the same spot, not several feet down the corridor. Why is just shoolboy physics.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused.
 Pero 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin W: That's the whole point of faith, by definition. It's faith, and not based on evidence or logic. If you have faith that God exists, then there is no point in looking for evidence, one way or the other. And, "facts", however you define them, are irrelevant.

mgco3 23 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I can name one experiment...Hang on a minute..
 jonnie3430 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Pero:

If I have faith that I will not fall off my onsight solo of Indian Face it is equally useless.
 Fat Bumbly2 23 Jan 2013
In reply to mgco3: Glory be! Landover are still going. A brilliant site.
 Hooo 24 Jan 2013
In reply to HarmM:
Vodafone don't seem to think it's funny. Apparently that link is too offensive for me to view on my phone.
In reply to HarmM: Damnation! Ive just registered to take the piss out of them but it seems the joke would have been on me. Nevertheless, I will have a snoop around as there might be some good stuff on the site.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...