UKC

5* Snowdonia hotel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 06 May 2019

Had an enquiry from an friend who's visiting UK - and who wants to do some walking in Snowdonia. The walking party are accompanied by partners (m/f) who have asked me to suggest a grand hotel so that the inactive party have a 'nice' place to while away the time. Money - apparently - is not a consideration...

I've no idea what to suggest, and to be honest it seems to defeat the object of being in N.Wales. Nevertheless, does anyone have an idea of a top-rated place to stay?

In reply to Greenbanks:

I suspect that the Plas Dinas Country House nr. Caernarvon is about the only one.

jimtitt 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

My climbing partners wife refused to go to Sicily because there was no 5 star hotel nearby, 4 star was out!

sleavesley 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Not in Snowdonia but close to Bala 

https://www.palehall.co.uk/

5 star hotel and they can stay where Queen Victoria once stayed.

Toccata 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

I prefer Tyddyn Llan to Pale Hall as the wine list is packed with super value wines at all levels.

kaiser 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

What a shame Cobdens has closed - that would have been perfect...

SouthernSteve 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Hotel Portmeirion looks very posh by my standards, but still only 4 stars! There are also a few non-mountainy things to do around and about as well.

john arran 06 May 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

In my experience of having stayed in a variety of pretentious hotels around the world, the difference between 4* and 5* is how much stuff and how many services you don't want and never asked for are seemingly forced upon you.

In reply to SouthernSteve:

Similarly Bodysgallen Hall only gets 4*

LastBoyScout 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Swallow Falls - 4*, but bang on location?

OP Greenbanks 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Thanks all. I will get these off to my friend. Grateful (as usual) for these collective insights from those with obvious insider knowledge.

Cheers!

NathanP 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Not 5* but Portmeirion is very nice - always welcoming with excellent service and food, in my experience.

rj_townsend 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

This may do the trick http://seiontmanor.co.uk/

I’ve used it a few times for work events - very comfortable, good food and service.

Myfyr Tomos 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Penmaen Ucha Hall near Dolgellau. Not sure of star rating but if it's good enough for the PM, then...

Post edited at 22:38
 jcw 06 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Perhaps they could arrange to take one of the CC huts for a week?  Very exclusive!

Post edited at 22:58
 jcw 06 May 2019
In reply to kaiser:

indeed! I remember dining there once and the waitress asking me loudly: " do you want stuffing? "

pasbury 07 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Tell them that North Wales is a horrid place infested with savages and that they should f*ck off.

FactorXXX 07 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Tell them that North Wales is a horrid place infested with savages and that they should f*ck off.

Nice...

KeithWakeley 07 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

http://www.treysgawen-hall.co.uk/

This place is nice. Not 5*, but it’s plenty nice enough. Good food too.

Pyreneenemec 07 May 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

>

> I've no idea what to suggest, and to be honest it seems to defeat the object of being in N.Wales. Nevertheless, does anyone have an idea of a top-rated place to stay?

Enjoying a little comfort doesn't detract from the overall mountain experience ! 

How about H.F Holidays house at Craflyn Hall, Beddgeleert ? H.F. have move with the times and their properties offer great food and accommodation for a reasonable price.

https://www.hfholidays.co.uk/country-houses/snowdon/

I'm no longer a walks leader for H.F but still enjoy the  occasional short-stay in their centres. The atmosphere is less stuffy than an hotel and  you'll be with like minded folk. There are organized walks but you are totally free to do your own thing. In season, there are also evening activities. This isn't everyones cup of tea ( probably why I stopped leading for them) but can be fun !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...