UKC

7pm Bell ringing. Why?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021

So.... Found a bloody lovely cottage in Cornwall. Really remote, few other little places nearby. Dead quiet, loads of trees, little stream running by... Ideal. 

7pm, a bell starts ringing nearby. About 2 bongs per second. For about five minutes. Any suggestions what its for? Is it some sort of local signal? Why 7pm? Been here since 3pm so it's not an hourly thing. Why five minutes? Is it a local signal? Zombie attack? I've looked around the cottage and there's no "if you hear a bell ringing, do this" sign. Nothing in the visitor book

There must be a reason. I'm scared in case I'm missing something. Is it going to happen again? Aargh. 

Trangia 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Church bell? Practice night for the local bell ringers?

Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Calling people to a service?  That's their primary function, after all. 

Or as was suggested , practice night, but that usually involves more than one bell...

Worst possible scenario is that the church is a popular venue for touring tower tickers ( puerile isn't limited to climbing) who will probably want to have a bit of a warm up then try a quarter peal. That's about 45 minutes of continuous  ringing. If someone fails to make the correct pull the  attempt will be classified as a fail, they won't get the tick and they'll chalk f*ck on it and go back to where they came from. Or they might have another go.

Of course, now and again a really experienced band will turn up with permission to do a full peal.  You can probably work out how long that takes.

Post edited at 19:25
 ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

It was just a single note bong... Bong... Bong... Bong... Bong... Bong... Bong.... (feel free to fill in the next five minutes)...

Im reading that some denominations ring the bells at 6am, noon and 6pm to draw the faithful to prayer. Maybe it's that

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Calling people to a service?  That's their primary function, after all. 

If only there was some other way of ensuring the faithful came to prayer... Like assuming they all had watches, mobile phones, calendar apps, short term memories. 😂

> Worst possible scenario is that the church is a popular venue for touring tower tickers ( puerile isn't limited to climbing)

Is that a genuine thing? 

In reply to ThunderCat:

I heard something similar from a church in a remote rural village in France in the 70s. 7am and 7pm. I think it marked the beginning and end of the working day.

I live next to a church. If only the bell ringing practice on Tuesday evenings was just 5 minutes of a single bell...

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to mbh:

> I heard something similar from a church in a remote rural village in France in the 70s. 7am and 7pm. I think it marked the beginning and end of the working day.

> I live next to a church. If only the bell ringing practice on Tuesday evenings was just 5 minutes of a single bell...

Thought you might appreciate this. 

youtube.com/watch?v=Vud0sD7X4jA&

In reply to ThunderCat:

Absolutely. Just flick through a copy of The Ringing World . Half the news section will be about ringing tours and how many towers they could pack in to a weekend.

Post edited at 19:41
In reply to mbh:

Did they build the church after you moved into the house?

Trangia 11 Oct 2021
In reply to mbh:

> I live next to a church. If only the bell ringing practice on Tuesday evenings was just 5 minutes of a single bell...

Ha ha! Bearing in mind that bell ringing is an ancient art which has been going on for hundreds of years prior to any of us being born, what on earth induced you to buy/rent a property next to a church if the bells annoy you!!

(Former bell ringer)

In reply to ThunderCat:

There's a lot of people that browse this forum. Name the village and there's a good chance someone will be able to answer definitively 🙂

GrahamD 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Worst case scenario: they actually ring last orders at 7.00

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021

> Did they build the church after you moved into the house?

Presumably so. It's a holiday rental in a part of the country I've never been to before. 

In reply to Trangia:

HaHa to you. It's bearable. We buy houses for all sorts of reasons.

toad 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Welcome to Hookland

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> Ha ha! Bearing in mind that bell ringing is an ancient art which has been going on for hundreds of years prior to any of us being born, what on earth induced you to buy/rent a property next to a church if the bells annoy you!!

> (Former bell ringer)

Sorry, should have said. Holiday rental. And before any more knickers get twisted I was barely being semi serious. 

mrphilipoldham 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

You sound like the same person who went to the telly news after being kept awake late by noisy seagulls when they stayed at my mates B&B right next to the harbour in Whitby! 

In reply to ThunderCat:

I think some comments about proximity to bells were aimed at another poster

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> You sound like the same person who went to the telly news after being kept awake late by noisy seagulls when they stayed at my mates B&B right next to the harbour in Whitby! 

Nah, not at all. Its the most beautiful place I've been to in a long time. I would move here in a heartbeat if I had the chance. I just find the 'ringing a bell very loudly in the evening for everyone to hear regardless of whether they want to hear it or not' a bit of a culture shock 😂

bruxist 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Twice a second for about 5 minutes? You've moved in next door to Jeff Mills.

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021

> I think some comments about proximity to bells were aimed at another poster

Oops. Sorry. Few holiday beers Tom. Again, id still move hear in a bloody heartbeat if I could afford it. Might even take up bell ringing

mrphilipoldham 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

It's ok, it was tongue in cheek

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021

> You sound like the same person who went to the telly news after being kept awake late by noisy seagulls when they stayed at my mates B&B right next to the harbour in Whitby! 

The sound of gulls makes me so bloody homesick. I love it. Heard some today. The noisy poignant sound in the world

Me, I think. The bells thing coming out here makes me laugh. It reminds me of the joke about apocryphal American tourists asking why the Queen chose to  build Windsor castle so close to Heathrow airport.

I get where you are all coming from, but do remember that when people buy houses, they may be making all sorts of compromises. I certainly was. Moreover, I am an ardent atheist, bemused by the arrogance of the church community as I have seen it parade itself before me these last fifteen years.

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021

> It's ok, it was tongue in cheek

Can never bloody tell with ukc 😂

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to mbh:

I think for me it was just an 8 hour drive from Manchester... Leaving at 4am to miss the traffic, a tanker fire on the M5 made it longer than we planned, first holiday in 2 years, lots of family grief, mam not well, getting here and finding it perfect.... And then BONG.... BONG.... BONG...

so maybe my usual tolerance fell short a bit.  I'm back being reasonable now. 

In reply to mbh:

I understand your point, it's just that your post reminded me a bit about reports of people complaining about cockerels crowing after buying a house near a farm, which I always assumed to be apocryphal, too.....   

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021

> I understand your point, it's just that your post reminded me a bit about reports of people complaining about cockerels crowing after buying a house near a farm, which I always assumed to be apocryphal, too.....   

Haha. Fair point. We took a little walk down the path from the cottage into the woods and there is a little chicken shed with three chickens in it. So the question is, do they start crowing before the morning bells, or after? 😂😂 Watch this space

Well I get your point too. If they weren't such anachronistic arrogant twerps, but were instead, you know, just school kids in a school playground, or sea gulls by a quay side, I'd feel different.

In reply to mbh:

>  If they weren't such anachronistic arrogant twerps, 

Different folks, different strokes.. ( to use a bellringing term which I learned from my wife..)

Post edited at 20:21
 Trangia 11 Oct 2021
In reply to mbh:

> Moreover, I am an ardent atheist, 

So are a lot of bell ringers, including me. It's just that there are very few secular bell towers, and 99% of bells happen to be in churches. Bell ringers are more likely to go to the pub than to the church service after ringing for said service. As I said it's an ancient art form, and requires a lot of practice to get it sounding right.

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> So are a lot of bell ringers, including me.

You any good then? It's not something I've ever seen done, or tried. 

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Haha. Fair point. We took a little walk down the path from the cottage into the woods and there is a little chicken shed with three chickens in it. So the question is, do they start crowing before the morning bells, or after? 😂😂 Watch this space

Must add that those chickens seem hard as nails. Followed us out of the chicken shed and into the woods, and then back to the cottage. Zero shits given. They were probably the ones ringing the bell. 

Trangia 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> You any good then? It's not something I've ever seen done, or tried. 

No I was crap. Whilst I did manage to acquire some degree of rope sight, my hearing isn't fine tuned enough to hear my bell amongst the other when ringing methods, so it was a constant struggle. It is fun though, and you need a lot of concentration, and a good memory of pattern when hunting through a method. If you get lost, you wreck it for everyone. It's very difficult to try and explain the sequence of patterns when ringing a method to someone who has never done it! I never got much further than ringing a quarter peal of Plain Bob Doubles on an inside bell.

Try googling "Plain Bob Doubles" to see an example of the line tracing the route of a bell when changing through the pattern. It can be head wrecking when you start! And that is a very simple example.

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> No I was crap. 

I've got to say, the absolute honesty and self deprecation there made me really smile. Fair play. At least you seem to love what you do. It looks bloody easy from what I've seen on TV.  (but then watching experts usually does give that impression, eh?) 

Dave the Rave 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Sounds Wickermanish

In reply to ThunderCat:

You people baffle me. Church bells are a sound of the country and have been for centuries, and beautiful they are too. If you don't like them, don't go to the country.

jcm

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

You people who take a light heated post way to seriously baffle me too. But hey ho. Peace out John x

ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> You people baffle me. Church bells are a sound of the country and have been for centuries, and beautiful they are too. If you don't like them, don't go to the country.

> jcm

Id just add John that they do sound beautiful. And my gripe was after a particularly awful day so probably not justified. 

In reply to ThunderCat:

When you get home be sure to contact your nearest church with ringers - sounds like they are desperate for new blood.

Post edited at 21:33
 ThunderCat 11 Oct 2021

From a purely ignorant point of view, I'm guessing that as well as calling the faithful to prayer the AM ringing is a cheap and cheerful alarm call to get the proles into fields which has just carried on in the form of a 'tradition' 

Maggot 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

It's alerting the locals that there's a stranger in town. Jam your bedroom door shut with a chair when you go to bed tonight.

In reply to ThunderCat:

Holy smokes TC!  No one has answered your question...it means the Germans have finally invaded!  Get out of there and form up on the other side of the Tamar...stand by to repel boarders!

More seriously the church on Lundy is a favourite spot for touring bell ringers.  IIRC the tower is sound proofed now so it doesn't p*ss everyone else on the island off too much?

In reply to Bobling:

Soundproofing the bells wouldn't make sense since making noise is their function. And on a place with a resident population of less than thirty, pissing off the locals wouldn't be a priority.

You Tube has a clip of them ringing in 2018 and they sound fairly unmuted to me. (If you want to quieten bells you don't need to soundproof a tower, just put a leather shield on each clapper to muffle the noise of the strike)

Post edited at 23:06
In reply to ThunderCat:

>> Worst possible scenario is that the church is a popular venue for touring tower tickers ( puerile isn't limited to climbing)

> Is that a genuine thing? 

Yes, and one I'm somewhat guilty of! I've rang at just over 150 different towers across the UK and some in the USA as well. And that's some pretty amateur numbers compared to some serious ringers. Apart from ringing with your home tower or guild there are various different groups of ringers that you can ring with. I'm a member of a somewhat small and esoteric group known as 'The Bell Ringing Motorcyclists', a group of people from across the UK that meet twice a year on our motorbikes for a weekend away of ringing and riding! Someone proposed calling the group the 'Bells Angels' but it was decided if we ever ran into the actual Hells Angels they might not take it kindly.

If it was just one bell dinging (or donging) twice a second it wouldn't be someone ringing it full circle as that would only ding (or dong) once every 2 seconds or so, so would must likely be a chiming hammer. No idea why someone would be chiming a bell for 5 minutes on a Monday night though. On a side note, if you tell me which Church it was I can look up when their pratice night is and let you know how many bells they have and their weight If you're east Cornwall way there is a good chance I'll have rung there at some point.

petemeads 07:29 Tue

Our tower has sound control doors to limit the noise during practise sessions, and muffles which only got used for funerals. They covered half the clapper so a round of loud would be followed by a round of soft - a nice effect.

In reply to ThunderCat:

Incomer warning alarm?

Too be fair, it likely wouldn't stop ringing these days in Cornwall. 

yeti 07:55 Tue
In reply to ThunderCat:

we spent a night in whipsnade zoo a few years back

got woken up at 2 in the morning by lions roaring, ...awesome

In reply to petemeads:

On Remembrance Sunday my son half muffles the tenor and rings it as people walk from the church to the cenotaph. It seems very fitting somehow.

In reply to yeti:

It's eerie to walk down a pleasant  avenue in Doncaster and hear lions roaring at the end of it. I suppose the people with houses on it probably have a bit of a right to grumble since they will probably have lived there before the  Wildlife Park  was set up. Perhaps some even like the exotic air it lends to their evenings in the garden.

In reply to ThunderCat:

Just to be clear - you're asking for whom the bell tolls?  Are you sure that's entirely wise?

fred99 13:18 Tue
In reply to mbh:

> I heard something similar from a church in a remote rural village in France in the 70s. 7am and 7pm. I think it marked the beginning and end of the working day.

You're lucky - I live next to a cathedral !!

(Mind you, I have had TRIPLE glazing fitted)

In reply to fred99:

No need to get the hump...

Hat Dude 15:51 Tue
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm partial to a bong in the evening

Cobra_Head 16:17 Tue
In reply to ThunderCat:

Wicker Man signal

wercat 16:32 Tue
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Ringing the Changes by Robert Aickman, much more unsettling ...

radio adaptation of pedigree here:

youtube.com/watch?v=pn547h93BZM&

Post edited at 16:36

I get the jokes around it, but this whole who was here first thing does need rejigging from time to time. 

So I live next to a church and find the bells a bit noisy. Cue hilarity (unfortunately, since this was just an aside to my main comment). Not that I ever have or would complain to them. But at some point, the 'we were here first' argument wears a bit thin. We don't have to always do what we always did. 

On the lions thing, I work next to a Zoo that was probably there before my employer arrived. Roars punctuate the day and and are much loved (the lions' religious affiliation is unknown, but presumed to be weak). They do though mean that work-place exercises supposedly to do with what we should do if a machete wielding nutter headed our way are more likely to be of use when one of the lions has escaped and is searching for dinner.

In reply to mbh:

No hilarity from me, more a sort of bemusement, same as if the cockerel had been the culprit instead of the bellringers.

freeflyer 22:27 Tue
In reply to mbh:

> So I live next to a church and find the bells a bit noisy

You could always offer to help pay to get some sound-control installed

Where I used to live, we had a lady write to the vicar complaining that the bells were disturbing her peace and quiet and it was a disgrace, and demanded for it to be stopped immediately, etc. Unfortunately the village grapevine being what it is, the churchwarden wrote back to her, and pointed out that since she had just short-rented a house *in Church Road* it was very likely, if not inevitable, that bells would be rung at various times and that she would be able to hear them.

Alternatively, get involved - it's a free gym. Forty-five minutes ringing on a heavy bell is an excellent core workout.

Yes but...

I think it was the making noise that was a problem...too many ringers making too much noise...sadly the internet has failed me for my consclusive evidence!  Very possibly I dreamed all this.  I do remember a few years back the church was closed for extensive renovations and I thought this was part of them. 

Timmd 23:42 Tue
In reply to mbh:

> Well I get your point too. If they weren't such anachronistic arrogant twerps...

That's a bit harsh.

The UK is full of anachronisms, too, they make up 'the cultural fabric', or something like that.

Post edited at 23:45
In reply to Bobling:

i suppose that in a tourist place with a popular church for tower grabbers the actual frequency of sustained ringing ( like quarter peals) is probably more of an issue than the actual noise levels.

fred99 11:05 Wed
In reply to mbh:

> On the lions thing, I work next to a Zoo that was probably there before my employer arrived. Roars punctuate the day and and are much loved (the lions' religious affiliation is unknown, but presumed to be weak). They do though mean that work-place exercises supposedly to do with what we should do if a machete wielding nutter headed our way are more likely to be of use when one of the lions has escaped and is searching for dinner.

If a machete wielding nutter was headed your way, wouldn't it be an interesting idea to have the hungriest lion (or two) let out, and then stay inside and watch the reaction of said nutter ?

Billhook 13:20 Wed
In reply to fred99:

If the village is like ours, then the bells may be signalling yet another local cottage has been sold as a holiday let or 2nd home - May the bells toil less.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...