UKC

8pm Monday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have had enough of this hypocrisy - 8pm Monday lets all Boo for Boris.

Bacon Butty 24 May 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

With the potential threat of an upcoming water shortage (hosepipe ban thread), cut down on flushing and save all your toilet waste and dump it on your local Con Club's doorstep.

The age old adage, treat people like shit and ...

girlymonkey 24 May 2020

I'd be up for it, but we have a German lesson then! 

wintertree 24 May 2020

But what do we do for Cummings?

girlymonkey 24 May 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> But what do we do for Cummings?

Behead him?? 😜

krikoman 24 May 2020

Let's all go to his mam's house for a cup of tea.

stevieb 24 May 2020

Twitter seems to be suggesting 8pm Tuesday

Trevers 24 May 2020
In reply to stevieb:

> Twitter seems to be suggesting 8pm Tuesday

Yeah, the #booforboris hashtag suggests Tuesday.

In reply to stevieb:

> Twitter seems to be suggesting 8pm Tuesday

Yeah; tomorrow is a bank holiday; everyone will still be in the way back from the beach, now that it's obvious that no-one has to follow lockdown...

FactorXXX 25 May 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Yeah; tomorrow is a bank holiday; everyone will still be in the way back from the beach, now that it's obvious that no-one has to follow lockdown...

Quite. 
They can return from climbing at crags far and distant and then partake in an event to denigrate the Government for their inaction on Lockdown, etc. 

Stichtplate 25 May 2020
In reply to stevieb:

> Twitter seems to be suggesting 8pm Tuesday

Is the hash tag "#OyBoris!SeeYouNextTuesday!" ?

Yes, there are dozens of tweets now confirming it's been moved to Tuesday. #BooforBoris.

I doubt if the country has ever been angrier in its entire history.

#BOOFORBORIS

Tom Valentine 25 May 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

If you get involved in a booing campaign to support a certain standpoint it's almost inevitable that within a week there will be a faction suggesting an alternative motive to your gesture. 

Showing your appreciation for doctors and nurses is now seen by some as supporting the Tories (or at least condoning Tory policies): who knows what weird interpretations will be put on your Booing for Boris?

Post edited at 08:27
In reply to Tom Valentine:

It's certainly a conundrum. As you say, some people (certainly not myself) have begun to see the clapping for nurses as some kind of support for the government. That certainly hasn't been the case in my street of small terraced houses (probably more labour than conservative supporters). But now I think it really could be misconstrued, as some kind of expression of satisfaction. I have usually combine clapping and banging a saucepan alternatively on Thursday nights, but this week I think I'll just bang the saucepan, deliberately ambiguous, i.e. with a double meaning. Support for the doctors and nurses, but not for the government.

As regards Tuesday. I think it's best that that protest is kept separate like that. Again, I shall just bang a saucepan.

I may be being very thick, but what on earth could my alternative motive be? An enthusiasm for the pandemic, an approval of an unvoted-for no-deal brexit, a love of Cummings? Surely not. Certainly not in my street, where I'm known for my moderate middle of the road, non-partisan views. I'm baffled by what you mean.

Tom Valentine 25 May 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

What on earth could your alternative motive be? Who knows? Who would ever have thought that showing your appreciation for lowly paid NHS employees could be construed as support for the regime that keeps them underpaid?

Well, I agree that it has never seemed like that in my street, as I said above. But a lot of people now are saying it, so if it's being construed like that we can't ignore the fact. There's also a new mood today, where in addition to the very strong sense of neighbourly togetherness, there's also one of unprecedented anger at Boris Johnson's extreme offensiveness and refusal to listen to anybody but his extreme-right cabal. It's not a nice emotion at all, but a very complicated one, leaving most people feeling frustrated and impotent. Just what can anybody do now? Now that the country's feelings are being so totally ignored.

Post edited at 09:13

I'm not going to say any more now about this, but actually try to get on with some work. (Which has been so difficult recently in these very troubling times.)

Rob Exile Ward 25 May 2020

I shan't be participating. It is juvenile, demeaning and an entirely inappropriate response to what is, amongst other things, the biggest constitutional crisis of my life time. 

rubble 25 May 2020

BOOFORBORIS?????

I'm with BOOF!  

sorry ... I just couldn't resist my juvenile instincts 

Jon Stewart 25 May 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I shan't be participating. It is juvenile, demeaning and an entirely inappropriate response to what is, amongst other things, the biggest constitutional crisis of my life time. 

But you are going to make your opinion known another, more effective way, not just keep quiet?

Rob Exile Ward 25 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

No Jon, I'll be keeping my opinions to myself, as I always do! (Joke).

Amongst other things, this business and the election of Starmer have motivated me to start engaging with the Labour party again. When Corbyn was boss I just couldn't do that Tory cabinet minister thing of defending the indefensible.

In reply to rubble:

> BOOFORBORIS?????

> I'm with BOOF!  

> sorry ... I just couldn't resist my juvenile instincts 

I'm sure Boof would make a more effective PM than Boris. He would probably have clearer policies, for a start.

colinakmc 25 May 2020

We should choke the prime ministers inbox with vitriol. I’ve just sent a “horror and disgust” email to him, much the same to Keir Starmer with the plea to max out the pressure, and another one next to my local mp. 
Then I’m going to sharpen my pitchfork and stock up on rotten fruit.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...